Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iran's Envoy tug build  (Read 16396 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: Iran's Envoy tug build
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 08:23:21 am »

Looking great, Fantastic work.  :-))

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:38 am »

Thanks for the very kind words.  :-) I have repositioned the gas tank. In the previous pictures the location of this particular tank meant that it was not accessible to remove. It is now positioned under the pilot house and is easily accessible. The boiler and the other components on the tray fits through the main hatch and now I can get the fore deck in place and start the beginning of the end.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »

I need some help from the steam fitters following this build. The threads on the knurled nut do not match the Maccsteam fuel tank outlet fitting. The threads are wrong. I tried to remove the tip of the gas line and replace it with the nut from the Maccstecm fuel tank. My Benzomatic torch could not get the temperature up high enough to loosen the fitting at the end of the tube. I would hate to have to invest in expensive brazing equipment but if I must, then I must.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

IR3

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 05:56:24 pm »

Hi Iran, I'm not sure that's the correct nipple for the Maccsteam valve. Mine is a plain brass tapered nipple with no "o" ring. If you have enough pipe length suggest you cut that one off and soft solder a tapered nipple on. No need for silver solder. If you really want to silver solder then use two house bricks at 90° to each other and make a hearth which will get more heat out of your torch. Removing the original nipple can be difficult and the silver solder used may not match the solder you have. It shouldn't be too difficult to convert the Maccsteam nut into a wing nut.
Jerry.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2013, 07:57:04 pm »

Thanks Jerry,

Good advice, and yes I can do some low temperature silver soldering so that is what I shall do.

Cheers,

Iran

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:44 pm »

Well, for every start there is a beginning. The pipe work has been started. My hats off to the steamfitters out there. :-)) I struggled with making up the intake manifold for the engine but I think that with every new connection, the job will go a bit smoother. I am applying too much silver solder and I found that once you get the joint up to temp and add the flux, just a touch gets enough to flow to make a tight, leak free joint. Experience, experience, experience.

The intake manifold had to be changed since Mainsteam regulator must go between the engine and the lubricator. Pic shows the new manifold. Next it will be a line to the regulator which will be located under the removable Tow Hook platform.

Until next time,

IR3

THAN GOODNESS FOR THE CLADDING THAT WILL GO ON THE STEAM LINES. :}

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2013, 08:49:45 pm »

The hot steam line is in. Now, onto fitting a support for the line between the lubricator and the regulator. I think it will all be self supporting but a support would help. Also, the servo mount for the regulator need to be installed and then the fore deck can finally go on.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 02:05:39 am »

It's nice to have the fore deck in place. The hose reels are not yet glued down. They need to be wound with some thread to simulate the hoses. I have to get the anchors and anchor chain rigged and then the forward railing can be put in place. Starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Until next time,

IR3

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 05:15:08 am »

The Bridge and Pilot House are just about complete. There is a lot of detail and the railings are a nightmare >>:-( . I do not understand why kit manufacturers insist on hard brass wire for ships railings. The stuff is almost impossible to shape and finding mandrils the right size to form circular or arced sections and the spring back doesn't help. Well, for this model, the dry dock people did not do a great job repairing the battle damage but the tug is desperatly needed so it is going out as is. One lesson I learned is put the railings on at the earliest possible time. I waited till last. A big mistake.

All that is left for the bridge/pilot house are the wooden hand rails for the forward railings and a bit more rigging for the front mast.

Until next time,

IR3

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:00 am »

Haven't seen an update for a while, are you still progressing?

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 03:31:19 pm »

Hi Craig,

I have been on a 3 week holiday and just got back. I will be continuing the build and putting up some more posts very soon. I am down to finishing details such as anchor chains, life boat davit rigging and other minor items. Shouldn't be very long till I complete the setup of the steam plant and do some bench tuning. Hope to have the boat in the water in a month or so.

Thanks,

Iran
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.