Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broad band  (Read 5039 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
broad band
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:30 pm »

watching bt putting new cables in for  broad band i thought why can we not use the satellite  instead of old wires that are many  years old

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: broad band
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:08:24 pm »

Cos cables they are putting in are likely to be fibre optical cable. :-))

Regards   Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:20 pm »

can use sat if you like, providing you want to cough up for the expensive monthly fee which provides very marginal downloads and even worse uploads...

Fibre is the way forward. essentially unlimited bit rate.

Wish i had it....

To be fair, the engineers are finding new ways of modulation through the phone network, 17mb I have in my house, which is a little bit further away than my last, from the exchange. I got a max of 7.5mb in the last house. All about provider and what gear is in the exchange.

Im with sky, although was very reluctant to try them in the first place. I was with virgin media as i have always been. They started to include line limits and download limits which isnt my thing to be honest. Sky simply aren't bothered what you do and its quick!

:}

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »

I have fibre and at times I can get 60+Mb downloads, you are still on copper wires from the nearest BT box to the house, but that box will be fibre connected to the exchange.
Grendel

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:25:08 pm »

I have just switched to BT Infinity which has just come to our locality - copper to box but then fibre. Download speed has gone up from to around 4,500 to 38,000, a huge difference for just another £5 per month.
Happy bunny.
Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »

The fibre box is on our land next to the tractor shed so we have a direct feed into that (Gigabit ethernet to a highpower wireless router) with no capping (well untill they remember that is, as I don't work for them anymore)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:02:56 pm »

The fibre box is on our land next to the tractor shed so we have a direct feed into that (Gigabit ethernet to a highpower wireless router) with no capping (well untill they remember that is, as I don't work for them anymore)

Yea i'd keep hush...

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:50:52 pm »

The current government here are for "fibre to the home"   The Opposition, who are likly to be the next government in September, have only just agreed to keep installing broadband and then only to the "node" ie. the box in the street.   
With the whole thing on hold because a lot of the old boxes in the road are asbestos.   "You really mean to say they have only just realised this?" nothing more may happen for years.
We are only 50 k. from the centre of Melbourne and even before the asbestos scare we were not even on the timetable for conversion!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:56:12 pm »

watching bt putting new cables in for  broad band i thought why can we not use the satellite  instead of old wires that are many  years old

Well, if you have sky, the further north you live the bigger dish you need although in reality, Im not sure if sky now provide two sizes of dish.

Due to the weak signal sky transmit, poor weather such as snow or heavy rain can interupt tv reception. I used to have the BSB 'squarial' which was small compared to even today's sky digital dish. Reception was never interupted by heavy rain. Now, whenever we have heavy rain, the sky picture pixelates and sometimes we lose transmission altogether.

Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) is very good providing you're no more than a kilometer or so from your street cabinet. More than this and speed drops off considerably. If you have aluminium cable from the cabinet to home, you might find even if you live less than a kilometer, your speed can be less than 20Mbps.

Fibre to the premises \ home (on demand) (TTTP \ HoD) is fibre all the way from the exchange to your home and requires dedicated installation from the nearest enabled cabinet to your home. This is currently capable of delivering 330Mbps but is very expensive to install.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 01:21:03 pm »

Part of broadband is services like Skype, and because it happens in real time this relies on the connection from point to point being short.  Sending it through a satellite means the signal going due up 25000 miles and back down the same distance.  If it has to go through a central control point on earth, it might have to repeat the performance before it gets to the other end.  That would be a trip of 100,000 miles.  Since it can't travel at more than the speed of light, thats over half a second between you saying something and the other end starting to hear it, and the same on the way back. 
Connecting any point on the earth to any other point is rarely more than 12000 miles. Almost no delay.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 06:42:23 pm »

Count yourselves lucky - just rechecked my Broadband speed - 2.24 Mbps ! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

I live in a village between Driffield and Beverley - might as well be on the moon!
in the eyes of BT and all the other ISPs

I haven't considered switching (from plusnet) since I assume that all the other ISPs
would simply use the same wires into the village - is this the case?

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 06:47:56 pm »

I am with Virgin Media and I have their 60mb broadband, If they cap it I have not noticed as nothing appears to slow, down not even Skype. If you can put up with the rubbish customer service if you have a problem, then go with them if you have their cable in your street.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 07:01:55 pm »

Just checked with Virgin got a . . . .

Sorry, your home isn't in a Virgin Media area
We've checked your postcode and unfortunately we can't bring you any Virgin Broadband, TV or home phone services.

Richard

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 07:33:12 pm »

Had the same story from vermin
Yet four neighbours had vermin
After an investigation we were
not on the list because we have a
security gate at the rear of the property
stopping access.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 07:39:05 pm »

Count yourselves lucky - just rechecked my Broadband speed - 2.24 Mbps ! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

I live in a village between Driffield and Beverley - might as well be on the moon!

I haven't considered switching (from plusnet) since I assume that all the other ISPs

Richard

pretty much but you may get lucky.... The speed is dependent on the length of the cable run from the exchange to your home.  The further away you are the more losses on the line and therefore lower speeds, also the quality of the line (the physical wire itself) is also a big factor.

Something you can try
  (AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Is to do a factory reset of your modem/router.
Many modems/routers "learn" the best speed for a reliable connection.  Sometimes a factory reset can force it to relearn the best speed and this can give a little extra speed
Again I say do this at your own risk

Had the same story from vermin
Yet four neighbours had vermin
After an investigation we were
not on the list because we have a
security gate at the rear of the property
stopping access.

Ned

Why would they need access to your property without you being there?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 08:44:25 pm »

essex2visuvesi
Tried that, been through all the rigmarole -

6 months or so they 'upgraded' the connection to ADSL2?
(from plain ordinary ADSL?) and managed about 3.2 Mbps
seems to have fallen back a bit from that!

but thanks for the info

Richard

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »

DON'T GET VIRGIN MEDIA had it for 3 years service terrible,told them I didn't want it any more and paid them what I owed them,but they kept sending me bills for something I didn't have took over a year and legal letters being sent to them  before they stopped,not happy,Ray.
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:21 pm »

And here I was sitting in my room at work in Norfolk moaning about my Internet connection through Vodaphone on my iPad! I suppose I must count my self as lucky now compared to other members :-X  I can however complain about the TV signal though! And the occasional power and water loss!

Back at home we use BT Wifi and I can't say we have ever had a problem with it yet, certainly the quickest connection I have ever had.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:40 pm »

essex2visuvesi
Tried that, been through all the rigmarole -

6 months or so they 'upgraded' the connection to ADSL2?
(from plain ordinary ADSL?) and managed about 3.2 Mbps
seems to have fallen back a bit from that!

but thanks for the info

Richard
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/downloads/sffa_exchange_lists/accepting_orders.pdf
Claims its there.  Might depend on how far away from the cabinet you are.  I have seen a cabinet about 300 yards from its exchange, with customers about 3 miles up the road.  I wouldn't expect a startling difference there.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17:38 pm »

after they installed fibre here we had all sorts of problems, our internet kept dropping out and was less than 1mb (more dial up speed) we contacted bt and after several calls to the helpdesk who all asked us to do the same things. they eventually referred it to an engineer. when he came out it turned out that the old faceplate on our bt socket wasnt rated for internet (should have been replaced last time we had problems) our incoming line had several faults (the bt pits were full of water) and on top of that our router wasnt compatible with the new fibre optics signal, which caused it to run slow (they replaced it with a brand new home hub 3 for free - as the problem had been caused by the changeover to fibre optics) so we then got up to about 20MB, then they told us for no extra cost we could get infinity, so we upgraded (3 heavy computer users in the house warranted the extra bandwith and unlimited data allowance (we were pulling 60 Gb data a month).
Grendel

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:07 pm »

Richard

I don't know what you're complaining about, I just did a speed check on my broadband connection with the following results - line speed .88 Mbps >>:-( Australian internet speed is appalling outside the capital cities, compared to the rest of the civilised world. We may as well resort to sending smoke signals at times.

Peter.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 03:48:37 pm »

I have just switched to BT Infinity which has just come to our locality - copper to box but then fibre. Download speed has gone up from to around 4,500 to 38,000, a huge difference for just another £5 per month.
Happy bunny.
Colin

Same as Colin said...I changed from the BT Home Hub to the Infinity 1 a couple of weeks back...what a difference! Engineer was bang on time, and by the time I'd made him a cuppa he was practically finished. I've had one little time out, the second day after it was installed, but since then, no problems. No limits on what I download, which means I can watch the drag racing from Santa Pod all weekend without fear of exceeding my old limits, no waiting whilst YouTube videos go though the buffering business...and all for a fiver extra each month.

I never thought I'd say this, but...well done BT!
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.