Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laser Cut Kits  (Read 2713 times)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Laser Cut Kits
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:50 pm »

Hi All,another 'noob' question.Have ordered a laser cut kit and plan for the Pilot Boat from Traplet.Have not assembled one before,what's the fit and finish like,they look to be ok.Have i done the right thing?Many thanks.Bob.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: Laser Cut Kits
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:25:14 am »

Welcome to Mayhem. you will know if you have done the right thing if it doesn't sink first time in the water, LOL. Then it is just a short trip back to the drawing board, Mick B.
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:33:42 am »

Welcome to the Mayhem Bob!

( All new members must clean fill up the office water machine! )

Laser cut kits are an excellent start to model boat building.
 Gently send of the worst of the black ash before glueing.
 Some joint you may also need to profile or sand / shape in an angle to get the correct shape.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:29 am »

Laser cut kit can vary in quality but I hear good things about Traplet.  It may be necessary for you to buy additional bits and pieces to complete but your LHS should have what you need. I've found that the important thing is to test fit everything at least once before gluing if only to get the set clear in your own mind, this will save any problems once glue has been applied. 
Watch out for "tight" joints where the tolerance may be a bit close, it will avoid undue strain in the structure. Judicious sanding will help as long as you don't overdo it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »

Many thanks to all for your help and and encouragement on the Laser Cut Kits.It arrived today,the Traplet Pilot Boat, and looks fine,good quality,a few burns.It would be nice to do a build thread,but my computer skills don't go that far i'm afraid and i am a very slow builder,you would fall asleep.Many thanks again.Bob.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:01:41 pm »

Further to my query about laser cut wood packs,the Traplet Pilot Boat,i have now assembled it 90%.It has gone together very well and the advice i was given was very useful,many thanks.The hardest part is the plywood hull shaped pieces,4 of them,only 2 fitted at the moment,waiting on the motor,prop.etc.The shaping and alignment of these calls for patience....I would advise any noob like myself to go for one as the parts all fit,just a couple of mis-alignment areas,easily overcome,and your hands will get black from the burns on the wood btw.No bother.Sealing it is the next job.Thanks for reading.Bob.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:28 am »

Further to my query about laser cut wood packs,the Traplet Pilot Boat,i have now assembled it 90%.It has gone together very well and the advice i was given was very useful,many thanks.The hardest part is the plywood hull shaped pieces,4 of them,only 2 fitted at the moment,waiting on the motor,prop.etc.The shaping and alignment of these calls for patience....I would advise any noob like myself to go for one as the parts all fit,just a couple of mis-alignment areas,easily overcome,and your hands will get black from the burns on the wood btw.No bother.Sealing it is the next job.Thanks for reading.Bob.

Test fit, test fit, test fit then test fit again. When your'e happy that you've got it right put some alignment marks on and test fit it. Then glue it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:44:56 pm »

It may be  bit late now but here is my build of a Traplet laser cut kit, including fitting the sides and bottom panels:-

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27505.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.