Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CENTURY 7004 SPEED BOAT  (Read 10728 times)

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Im a tugger cos i pulled
CENTURY 7004 SPEED BOAT
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:01:35 pm »

:-) Hi there all im now modding a century 7004 boat i purchased today from howes total piece of crap i stripped all the electronics out motors funny thing is this boat has no rudder and servo so im now going to do a re paint new rudder plus servo new radio and a nice tornado esc will be taking pics as i progress so i will keep you all posted on this re build best regards. TUGBOAT PETE yaaaarg

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: CENTURY 7004 SPEED BOAT
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:40:01 pm »

Hi Pete,

I have one of these boats, two in fact.
IMHO it one of the BEST speedboat hull shapes I've ever ran, steady as a rock!
Yes the running gear leaves a lot to be desired but  I was going to to the same as you, ie. rip the guts out!

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6941.msg71030.html#msg71030
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:25:05 pm »

Hi just a quick update on the boat got all stripped down had to use isopon p38 to fill in the dents in the hull and also removed the upper deck cabin fittings all going well at this time im going to retain the twin motors and prop shafts the rudder is going to present problems me thinks some advice is gona be needed on that im downloading some pics will keep you posted best regards .Tugboat pete YAAAAARG

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 12:14:36 am »

:-))Hi all just a quick one i dropped a big one thought i could save a bit of time with the hull painting i wet and dried the blue hull bottom flat but instead of priming i spayed the blue top coat over the original paint thinking it would be the purfect prima but its all gone hammer crackle dam it have to take the total paint off down to the plastic i really need a sharp boot up the backside other than this total cock up things getting there but i need some advice from you guys with the best way to go with the rudders will keep you in the loop best regards. TUGBOAT PETE Yaaaarg

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:08:46 am »

:-)hi all im going to rip out the two motors and prop shafts and fill the hull drill one prop shaft hull entry hole and re position a new brushed motor and mount middle of the hull and use a longer prop shaft out the stern i would then be able to mod the rear to accept a single brass rudder and a single brass gear servo of course the boat wouldnt be as fast no worries best regards tugboat pete yaaaarg

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:29:39 am »

of course the boat wouldn't be as fast no worries best regards tugboat pete yaaaarg
Hi Pete,

You might be surprised by the speed if you position the prop at the mandatory 10- 13% of the hull length of the hull from the transom.
The stock props are too close, loosing efficiency as the speed builds up.

With a 'proper' prop in stead of the stock plastic ones, less weight due to one less motor, you may have similar boat speed as stock, but with much better drivability.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »

:-))thanks for the reply jan i got some work done today stripping out the twin motors and prop shafts and what a job it turned out to be i had to drill some holes in the upper decking to get at the screws holding the motors to the hull total pain got it sorted so im sending some pics of the boat so far im thinking of mounting the motor middle of the boat extended prop shaft running a brass 3 blade 10 mm m4 prop, the radio and esc will be mounted in a water proof box at the stern i will be retaining the battery mounting location as it is best regards.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 04:16:32 pm »

:-) ) a brass 3 blade 10 mm m4 prop
Hi Pete,

I assume the 10 mm prop is a typo, as the boat will barely move with such a tiny prop.
You'll need at least something the size of the stock prop, depending on the motor and cellcount ofcourse...

If you extend the propshaft through the transom, making it surface piercing drive, you'll need a hydroprop, not a fancy brass threeblade prop, those are for underwater propulsion.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 11:15:18 pm »

:-) thanks jan for the reply im going to mod the keel and take the prop shaft out the bottom of the boat the rudder would also be below the water line will have to rethink prop size im going to make a start on the hull mod over the next week or so will keep you in the loop best regards.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:38:18 pm »

Hi Pete,

Now I understand what you're going to do; a subsurface prop under the hull with a rudder attached to the transom.

Should work like a charm and run more realistic than the stock surface piercing props.

Looking forward to follow your build.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »

Hi all just a quick update on the boat not been able to do any thing with the boat since my last post due to health probs will be attempting to get it semi sorted by the spring will keep you guys in the loop best regards from welsh wales (where men are men and the sheep are affraid)  :-))

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:56:21 pm »

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:27 pm »

Hi Steven,

That's a real bargain!
If you want one, now is the time.

I wished shipping to the Netherlands was less expensive...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:19:32 pm »

Remote Island stopped selling in July 2012 (according to their own website)
http://www.remote-island.co.uk/ContactUs/ContactUs.html

So no luck there then!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:13 am »

You might consider a jet drive. Kehrer Modellbau Berlin do a nice one. I have two drives intended for a pibber / pbr but so far no actual experience of zippy things  :embarrassed:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.kehrer-modellbau.de/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkehrer%2Bmodellbau%2Bberlin%26biw%3D800%26bih%3D500

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 05:19:52 pm »

:-)hi all well i have now made a start on the boat i orderd some parts from howes got them today motor mount, brass rudder medium size, 35mm brass prop m4, stainless steel 6 inch prop shaft, im going to be installing a 40 mhz radio 50 amp marine esc and will be downloading pics asap hope to get it up and running for the spring best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:31:13 pm »

hi all well this is how shes at sorry pic quality not 100% hope to send more pics soon best regards. tugboat pete yaaaarg

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »

Hi Pete,

The rudder doesn't have to sit that deep below the prop Ø, in fact it's a sure way to damage it it you run over some debris.
It's better to shatter the prop than ripping the rudder from the hull.

The position of the prop puzzles me; it's a strange hybrid between a Crackerbox (but they have the propshaft parallel to the keel) a submerged prop (but that would sit under the hull) and a surface piercing drive (which would have the prop at 10% of the hull length from the transom, with the shaftangle as shallow as possible).

How did you come up with this construction?

I seriously doubt if this is going to work properly, let us know how the testrun goes.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

:}hi there jan just messing around this will be my first attempt at a fast boat to be honest im not really botherd if it isnt gona move like greesed lightning i will be happy if it moves at all we can only wait and see will be getting down and jiggy with it over the next week or two so as soon as i can hope to download some tidy pics the prop shaft is approx at the same distance from the transom as the standard mounted types will keep you in the loop best regards.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 05:18:51 pm »

:-)motor and cv to prop

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 12:35:23 am »

Hi shipmates not been around for quite a bit health probs seems that getting older brings friends. I just wanted to add a post in ref to the 7004 i have now managed to get the hull filled using isopon p38 so its now not a submarine at the mo im flatting the boat ready to prim paint in grey, i have decided to run on 7.2 volts battery using a 50 amp esc and im waiting for delivery of a 2.4 Ghz 4 ch radio and receiver im hopping to get it ready for the spring im also thinking of a motor water cooling system my camera is broken i shall upload some pics as soom as i get some paint on the hull take care all and good sailing YAAAARG.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 12:01:52 pm »

Heres those pics not completer much but im getting there i think. Good sailing

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 06:00:41 pm »

Ok all i got my 2.4 Ghz kit from the post office today got the receiver fitted, rudder servo in place and connected up did a bath test running like a dream next job to do is the repaint, im still undecided as to what colours im thinking yellow and orange ,and im still looking at water cooling i may also upgrade the motor later. Good sailing yaaaaarg

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 07:25:56 pm »

Don't want to piddle on your bonfire but the rudder linkage appears like it may not be completely fit for purpose. It looks as though there may be a lot of potential for flex over the unsupported length. Something that should be addressed rather than lose it at speed?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.