Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liberia ocean by Graupner?  (Read 3376 times)

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Liberia ocean by Graupner?
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:51:45 pm »

has any body got experience of building  a Liberia ocean by Graupner?
i have got possession of a part built model any tips would be appreciated.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: liberia ocean
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:20 pm »

Hi I built one when they first came out, sails very fast indeed.  What would you like to know?
I do not have it now but the building of it was photographed.
regards Roy

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »

hi roy in the instructions it says use stabilit glue  to stick the deck downi can not find anybody that supplies it i was wondering if you used that or a alternative

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 04:00:49 pm »

Hi bjo... Sticking down the deck is the biggest and most delicate task.  You will have been building the boat upside down on the deck, then this has to be stuck down in one go onto the hull.
That means you have to carefully place 2 metres of glue onto the lip of the hull and then clamp the whole thing together til it dries.

Stablit express is an excellent gap filling glue but it goes off in 15 miuntes!  It will take that long to put all the clamps on.
I would first suggest in fact it is a must, to go through the whole procedure without glue as a dry run, get the clamps pegs, whatever ready.

Use long  lengths of small section wood, placed around the deck edge,  to make sure the deck is held down evenly in position and that there is no wavy line showing where the clamps were.

I would be tempted if doing it again to use a transparent sealant instead.  You can be sure of a good joint and also if you cock it up have another go.  It was a near thing for me!
Just in case you have not put large decals on before they go on wet.

best regards, Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »

Hi I forgot to ask have you the lead keel which is an extra and not in the kit?
By the way this is the fastest yacht I have ever seen.  With a beam wind it will get up and plane with a third of the boat out of the water, has to be seen to be believed.
I only parted with her because when the wind was right it was very difficult to rig her at the pond side.
On one occasion the onlookers assumed I had an electric motor in it!
regards Roy

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Liberia ocean by Graupner?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:18:07 pm »

While Stabilit Express seems very expensive, it does stick the Graupner plastic hulls better than virtually anything else.

As Roy points out, its working time is quite short and you need everything ready before you mix it.

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
Re: Liberia ocean by Graupner?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 12:27:51 pm »

thank you for your advice yes i have the lead weight .the yacht was started by someone who then had to move house so i think some of the deck fittings are missing but all the mane parts seem to be with it .what surprised me was how thin the hull plastic is .i have a groupner true blue which  was the first yacht i put together and was a lot more sturdy bye for now
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.