Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull plating  (Read 2474 times)

Chieftain

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hull plating
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:59:34 am »

I am well into construction of a Clyde Puffer scratch build from plans, and have been mulling over my choices for scale looking hull plating.

The vessel "Cloughlight" is a 1890 era coal fired, steam powered, iron hulled puffer.  The plans were drawn for building a cardboard display model or a wood R/C model.  I scaled up the original plans by 200% which gave me a hull that is just under 4 feet long.

The plans include a very good set of templates for cutting out strips of material to glue onto the hull that are indented to simulate the plating.  My first thought was to use 1/16" plywood and fit the strips.  The problem is that the plates on a puffer overlap, and I am not sure of the best way to go about doing that, especially on a hull I intend to put in the water.

I built the hull using 1/4" plywood for the frames and 3/8" ply for the keel.  I used styrofoam blocks between each frame to provide even spacing and keep everything parallel.  The foam adds a great deal of strength and will provide an excellent support for the plating.  I intend to glass the hull with epoxy resin and a light glass cloth, then sand it to break the gloss, and prepare it for plating.

Looking for any suggestions from anyone who has done a plating project before, and any tricks, tips, or pitfalls you can share.  I will put up a build thread for this boat a bit later...

Thanks!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hull plating
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:47 am »

It's all there if you look. Go to 'Masterclasses' and read Bryan Young's thread on 'General Havelock' which includes the application of rivetted plating.
Barry M

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

I used brown gummed tape cut to size of plate then the riveting was embossed on to the tape using a dressmakers wheel also known as a pounce wheel.  The tape was glued on with pva and when completed coated with several coats of matt exterior varnish.
Joe
 :-)) :-)) :-))
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Chieftain

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:13:13 pm »

Thanks for that steer, that's a great build thread that is right up my alley.  Bryan's explanation about why indented rivets look good to the eye makes a great deal of sense and sure simplifies my project's goals.  Thanks, and I will work on getting a build thread of my own going.....

:-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.