Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Yachts  (Read 2888 times)

marmod

• Shipmate
  • one time Maritime Models
Vintage Yachts
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:46:47 am »

Is the Model Yacht Sailing Association and the Vintage Model Yacht Club that used to meet at the Round Pond Kensington still in existence

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vintage Yachts
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »

Hi the vintage model yacht group http://www.vmyg.org.uk/ and  http://myauk.wordpress.com/
are still going strong.
A simple search found the above, what is your interest?
regards Roy

marmod

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:42:58 pm »

I used to be a member of the MYSA and was great friends with Richard Howlett.  I own a 1937 10 Rater, double ender, called
IOLANTHE 111, K317.  I kinda lost touch after selling Maritime Models

marmod

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »

Sorry Roy, I should have said K717
Peter

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:10:23 am »

Hi Marmod, I met Richard Howlet just once towards the end of his life while I was buying bits for making sails.  No real conversation but I knew who he was when I saw him, very pleasant.  He had two walking sticks and looked in pain.

I have a very dodgy 36R hull, no deck, which I am going to restore for general sailing.  It is an old hull but it has a nice moulded lead keel.

I remember Maritime Models when I used to visit the Maritime museum, then the museum got rid of nearly all its models so have not been back.
I have been restoring models (sailing boats mainly) and a bit of scratch building and sadly it does not often take me into a model shop.
I am currently looking for 2 off simple lifeboat davits 60mm high, no luck at any retail or on-line store.  I have 6 but need 8 to complete my Glyn Guest Noggsund.  I challenged myself to build a model only from parts and wood I have accumulated in my workshop.

The many new plastic ready to run yachts can only be a good thing to introduce people to sailing models.  Most sold on-line I would think. 
Do you manage to sail your 10R.?  Russell Potts chair of VMYG is always pleased to hear about vintage models and appreciates a few photos for his archive.
regards Roy

marmod

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:58:56 am »

Many thanks Roy.  No  IOLANTHE 111 has not been in the water for some time.  I suspect that it would need some gentle immersion to ensure a good seal around the keel area.  I have a horrible feeling that I might have to sell at some time.
Regarding your davits. I have a recollection that Aeronaut had selections and could be available through Euromodels if they are still operating in Twickenham.  I think you should also try Ron Dean at Dean's Marine.  Good Luck anyway.
Regards Peter

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »

there seems quite a strong following for older yachts around the country , i have a few myself , including a 1920s gaff rigged pond sailer thats been converted to radio control , a yeoman annabelle , now with a 400 motor and sails plus three ch rc , an abs vic smeed duckling , and a billings dragen under restoration

marmod

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »

That's quite a Marina !

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »

thats only a small selection of "our" fleet , we have sixteen models in total , mostly sail but a few electric powered scale boats too ! jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.