Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chatham Historic Dockyard  (Read 5882 times)

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Chatham Historic Dockyard
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »

Hey guys.

Got back from a week down in kent on saturday. Anyone been to the historic dockyards in chatham. If your down that way and not been i would seriously suggest paying a visit. Get yearly tickets. We went twice. had to go back to finish what we hadn't seen on the first time.

Anyways, while i was there i took a load of photos of varying RNLI lifeboats which i need to sort out. Also got a lot of photos (300+) of the HMS cavelier if anyone is interested.

James
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

furball

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chatham Historic Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:48:09 pm »

I work at the Lifeboat Museum there every other Saturday  :-))

Been doing it for nigh on twenty years now (doesn't time fly when you're having fun...)

Lance

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:13:12 pm »

It is a fantastic place to visit.
Colin

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:26 pm »

Was there a fortnight ago. MrsJ thought it was going to be a couple of hours, spent most of the day there. She even went through the submarine with me, but gave up halfway round HMS Cavalier. The only comment I have is, let's have more models out on view, not just the tantalising glimpse of the storage areas.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »

Plenty of models in the museum building I think.
Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:32:50 pm »

I seem to remember that the very large model of HMS Victory which was made for a historical film drama about Nelson was moved to Chatham Dockyard a few years ago.  The film was in black and white so is an oldie, 1940s or `50s perhaps.  Is it on display ?
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »

It certainly was when I was there a few years ago.
Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47:20 pm »

One of my favourite places to visit, I have never had a bad time visiting the historic dockyard.
I like all three ships particularly the HMS Gannet, but I like looking in the sheds where you can see the engines and turbines from frigates/destroyers including guns and all other many fittings from British warships.

My club is organising a trip to Chatham in the next couple of months to hopefully see the models that are not on public display.  Our club secretary is finding out how many models can be viewed in the time allotted to us so we can choose the particular ones we would like to see. An of course a visit to the model shop is a must... Must resist! :}
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:17 am »

we were surprised at how long we spent there. It was certainly a good place to visit. Only got to do a quick walkthrough of Oscelot. As they had a CHannel 4 Film crew filming on it in the afternoon. Ropery was an interesting building aswell. Even better than its still being used today.

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:05:48 am »

It is on my list of places to visit this year :-))

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »

The 'Victory' is there, quite a large model about 8ft long and has been restored and re-rigged. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a photo of it. At the time of my visit there was also a model 'Kilo' class submarine as used in the James Bond film'Thunderball', this was also a large model about 10ft long. My comment about the lack of models was really about the fact that the museum has more in storage than on display. Hopefully in the future more accommodation can be found.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 01:07:08 pm »

Thanks for the information on Victory.  The comment about lack of models on display reminds me of the tragic situation in the new(ish) Glasgow Waterside museum, what ever happened to "the largest collection of model boats in the world" ex Kelvingrove Museum and Maritime Museum ?  This new museum is a crowded mix of transport , trams , locomotives, bicycles etc., very few model ships .   A rally car (MacRae) is featured but no mention of F1 greats Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart, most peculiar. Rant over, I do like Chatham.
..well can you land on this?

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »

My memories of Chatham Dockyard is as a going concern, I spent 6 years there on nuclear submarine refitting in the 70s. It was always considered the best yard by submariners to have your boat refitted there.
The ropery is interesting especially if you look at the exterior walls with all the carved names in the brick work going back hundreds of years.
I must go back one day.

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 11:58:14 pm »

yeh alot of models there which you can see from a small window. not photos aloud though.

Anyways. anyone want photos of class c destroyer???

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:49:51 am »

yeh alot of models there which you can see from a small window. not photos aloud though.
That is just the national model depository. There are dozens of models on display in the main Museum elsewhere on the site.
Colin

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 10:55:11 am »

Colin,
I must have missed somewhere then, we saw some models in the 'National Treasures' section and the 'Steam, Steel and Submarines' building, but nothing like the quantity we used to see at the old NMM or similar. Is there another building we can find next time?
I believe that access to certain models is available on request. Is that so?

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »

its said access could be prearranged to the models. But i never found any other area displaying any.

mog10

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:40:31 pm »

Hi,
I Went there today just to get a few more reference photos of the lifeboats, and found a new little model shop there called
Regal Models, just near the Hotel complex , found some great bits , no Boats yet but its early days and great to see a new shop opening with the forthcoming closure of Modelzone and Signal Box. well worth a visit if your nearby. :-))

django

• Full Mayhemer
  • I want to live forever, so far so good
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 07:44:10 pm »

Hi Chatham Dockyard is certainly worth a visit I buy a ticket each year & visit at least 7 or 8 times a year . Never bored or disappointed & the dockyard model shop is worth a call in if only for a chat . The ship makers  models on display  in the new part ,you could just look at all day . Django

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 10:10:03 pm »

It's alright if you live in that part of the world that you can visit regularly Django............but for people like myself that take a holiday to that area once only, and also have a wife and children that want to do other things as they have absolutely no interest in going even once never mind three or four times in a week's holiday........a yearly pass is not only a waste of money, but a b***** rip off as well............what ever happened to a day ticket...........and before anyone jumps on me..............other museums that charge. gladly have a day ticket...........so there is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for this rip off....none what so ever. <*< <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:50:47 am »

Actually it isn't a rip off. They extended the validity of the original day ticket. Plus there is a big shopping outlet mall next to the dockyard to entertain the female component of the family.
Colin

django

• Full Mayhemer
  • I want to live forever, so far so good
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:09:33 am »

Yes Neil I am lucky to live in walking distance of the Dockyard but  I am sure you have the same situation with attractions near you . Django

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:44:22 pm »

Actually it isn't a rip off. They extended the validity of the original day ticket. Plus there is a big shopping outlet mall next to the dockyard to entertain the female component of the family.
Colin

sorry, Colin, and I knew you would get back on this one , but it is!,  and IMHO you are both biased and wrong on this one but sadly only to be expected. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

It is a national treasure and should be available to all, no matter what their financial position and status is,.......... it should be available to all and not just those  visitors from abroad and the home counties which, as we are told regularly in the media, are the wealthier echelon's  of society, and because of this  the museum feel that they can charge the earth to gain entry..................so what if you can use it all year round for one purchase price..... I'll bet that there is a low percentage of ticket holders that use their tickets on a multi entry basis .

Uz folk fr'm up't north on oor annuuuual weeks holiday can only go'tat one place a year..........and once yer weeks up, it's up.... and back tut grind stone in't mill........and so the rest of the 51 weeks on the ticket is totally wasted.

it's a fact that the majority of populous don't live within "poppin' in distance from the museum, and the way the cost of fuel, train and other transport costs are going, the museum is relying on the old adage        "you've come this far......you pay the over inflated price for the day."

If my family were interested, which they are not......it would cost us nearly a hundred quid to get entry for a day    year without all the other added on extras that usually come with museum visits and I could buy a whole lot of other things for our family holiday on that entry alone.

If the Liverpool Maritime museum and Tate Modern can give free entry.....then Chatham can lower their price to an acceptable daily charge.

When you live on a small income from pensions,( under 15 K a year) you have to watch yer dosh..........and entry to the Chatham museum is beyond my income, as it is to many, might I say, if they were honest.

As for shopping malls refer to last para. My kids as many in this country these days have had to learn to buy their cloths and such from Peacocks, Primart and Charity shops...........NOT  Este Lauda, Next, Harvey Nichols and other top Mall shops that you find in "shopping Malls" and I would hazard a guess that I speak for a lot of other people on here as well.

Hope this isn't too flippant for you as an answer. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Neil

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »

Yes Neil I am lucky to live in walking distance of the Dockyard but  I am sure you have the same situation with attractions near you . Django

Yes Django, but they are either free entry or a maximum of £2.00 for a day.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »

I agree with you Neil
We have the National Fishing Heritage Centre here in Grimsby.
Costa Plenty to get in. Even for the thousands of old retired fishermen
who helped make the heritage there is no discount.
No wonder it is only kept going by school visits and visitors to the area.
No one from the fishing families of GY will pay to see how Town and Docks were
before the Cod Wars. We can still remember those days.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.