Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Victoria...!!!  (Read 7605 times)

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Victoria...!!!
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:16 pm »

I've just purchased the Thunder Tiger Victoria & have had to do a couple of mods but there's 2 other mods i need help with.? is replacing or moding the sail winch arm to a roller & then another roller to replace the eyelet that's used for the sails strings return to servo, has anyone done such themselves.???
Today's Weather if Fine for Sailing...

A Boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane on water cos Wikipedia said so.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Victoria...!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:22 am »

@TourerJim:
Not quite following here - perhaps you are considering replacing the sailwinch servo with a drum type sailwinch??
If so, you may need to add a method of keeping tension on the winch line to avoid tangles at the drum...
I do not have access to a Victoria, so uncertain.... it sails well from video I have seen...
Amateur at work...

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:32:54 am »

This site is dedicated to the Victoria and a store   full of mods for her http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Index1.html

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:43 am »

If you are thinking of switching from a sail arm servo to a drum winch servo, personally I would not do this.

The arm servo can react much faster than the drum winch servo because just under 1/2 turn will get you from sheets full out to sheets full in. A drum may take over 2 turns. And they don't get tangles with slack line.

The advantage of a drum is due to an arm needing more torque, but this is not a problem with a model of the Victoria's size if fitted with a proper 'sail arm servo' (don't use a standard servo, it won't work well).

The cheap drum servos are cheaper than the cheap sail arm servos. However, there will be additional cost and effort with modifying the boat.

My 2c.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:09:24 am »

That is my problem these's a lot of drag on the are because the string has to be dragged though the servo arm & the returning string eyelet. 

A Boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane on water cos Wikipedia said so.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:21 pm »

A sail arm servo will easily do the job if you have chamfered the holes in the perspex provided for the arm, as outlined in the instructions.
My Victoria is fitted as standard out of the box and assembled as per the instructions . I use a sail arm servo (as per the instructions). I have never had a problem with the sail servo not being able to do the job, even in strong winds that the boat was not designed to sail in.

If you try to use a standard servo, you will kill it due to the torque involved.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »

What glue did you use TT?

(To glue the wood frame to the hull )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:56:50 pm »

A sail arm servo will easily do the job if you have chamfered the holes in the perspex provided for the arm, as outlined in the instructions.
My Victoria is fitted as standard out of the box and assembled as per the instructions . I use a sail arm servo (as per the instructions). I have never had a problem with the sail servo not being able to do the job, even in strong winds that the boat was not designed to sail in.

If you try to use a standard servo, you will kill it due to the torque involved.

Its not the servo, the servo arm that comes in the kit is plastic & when it pulls the sails in the arm flexes, i have since knotted direct to the arm & its fine now but concern that same thing can happen when i pull the sails in more so wind.???

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

You use the two mixing glues

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:50:58 am »

I used two part epoxy. I had to score the hull to give the glue something to bite into. First time around the radio tray broke loose from the hull due to lack of adhesion.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:09 am »

Its not the servo, the servo arm that comes in the kit is plastic & when it pulls the sails in the arm flexes, i have since knotted direct to the arm & its fine now but concern that same thing can happen when i pull the sails in more so wind.???

If the arm is flexing it sounds like something is wrong, the arm should not be doing this. If it is, for whatever reason, a weak arm, then have a look at Martins build log for the Victoria, he has a simple modification based on a ruler. But check everything else first, if the problem is elsewhere, then beefing up the arm will merely transfer stress somewhere else.

By tying the sheet direct to the arm, as opposed to having it run through the arm, you reduce the length of line pulled by 50%. This will seriously affect sailing.

If you are near to a club where people sail, for the price of a coffee someone will have a look at it for you. I would offer, but I live a bit out of the way I am afraid.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:53 am »

"I have since knotted direct to the arm"
Not certain, but thinking that if you have tied the sheet direct to the arm you will have doubled the torque (pull) on the sails, but you have also halved the amount of sheet travel. This may mean you do not have enough travel to sheet right in (booms nearly parallel to boat centreline) as well as right out (booms nearly at right angle to boat centreline)

I would think standard double haul arrangement would be the setup you need - the line should run freely through the hole in the arm.... if not perhaps there are some sharp edges.... the twisting arm sound like bad news, this should not be happening if things are correctly adjusted.

Possible first adjustment for your winch setup may be:
1) disconnect the sheets from the booms
2) then move the winch to the close hauled position,
3) then tie off the sheets at that point with the booms parallel to boat centreline
That should establish the close haul position. Moving the servo to the other end of its travel should allow the booms to be about at right angles to the centreline.
Hope this helps....
Amateur at work...

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:26:24 am »

I taken in what your all saying but i now know its the long servo arm its so thin & with the summer temp its so flexible, ive been googleing for a stiffer arm as previously mention the wheel gives less travel.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:06 pm »

I taken in what your all saying but i now know its the long servo arm its so thin & with the summer temp its so flexible, ive been googleing for a stiffer arm as previously mention the wheel gives less travel.

Which sail servo are you using?

( NB. don't put a sail arm on a 'normal' servo, you do need quite a hefty one! )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 04:45:39 pm »

Still not sure about this as I sailed regularly in temps of nearly 40 degress, never had the problem of flexing.
However, you can make your own arm out of a stiff piece of Perspex, 3-4mm should do it.
Martin used a ruler on his, possibly a metal one. See reply #6 here

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4231.msg41030.html#msg41030

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 10:21:39 pm »

I posted a picture of the servo set up on my old Victoria - worked with out issues. I agree with not installing a drum or winch type sail servo. There are literally thousands of these boats around the planet and I'd wager that if you could count them all there would be very few fitted with drum servos. There is really no need to change.  These boats don't carry a lot sail area and do nicely with the arm arrangement.  :-))

Boomer

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:40:53 pm »

I've now made a temp plate from the existing arm & glued them together & now its working fine, thanks for all the advice.

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 10:25:58 pm »

all sorted now, I completed moded the stock setup of the servo winch with some of my rc helicopter parts by using two main shafts to use as pulley guides for the string to be pulled by the now reinforced servo horn with a swivel string eye puller (heli part) & whilst doing all that i also modified the rudder linkage replacing it with heli parts. 
Im now getting the degree angles that the manual recommends whereas before couldn't get half.

When i get five ill upload a picture,

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 06:14:32 pm »

Good show Mate :-)) Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »

Good show Mate :-)) Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Got some nice pic's but cant seem to upload them...???

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »

We have loads of articles on picture publishing.  Have a look in Chit Chat section.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:44 pm »

Pic's of my mod on the Victoria,

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »

This pic was the the test run,

tourerjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »

Blimey she's sailing really nice now.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:12 pm »

Looking good.
You have now entered the most relaxing aspect of the hobby (unless you
take up racing)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.