Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colour of paint  (Read 2506 times)

simon

colour of paint
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:20:22 am »

hello ,

im trying to find the colour i should use for the superstructure of the model tug im building and some of the deck colour aswell .

it might sound  silly, but i know its tan but which tan is it and who makes it ? its tyne tugs colours from the 60s to the late 90s . we used to call it S++++Y brown but they dont do that colour lol .

ive managed to find humbrol No 9 ,humbrol 62 , can anyone tell me the right one to use ? its dooin me head in trying to work it out .

thankyou for any help you can give me ,

simon..............

Roger in France

Re: colour of paint
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:06:00 am »

I find colours difficult also. My wife tells me I am "colour insensitive"! I must say she picks out the colours in the house and I apply them. They never seem right to me on a chart or in the pot but they always come out fine.

In turn, my wife has no sense of what colours a boat needs.

All this rambling introduction leads me to say.....you just have to apply test? patches. After all flat on a deck or a small area on a model will look so differet from any colour chart.

Roger in France.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:14:13 pm »

Also remember the paint on the real ship will change over time as ultra-violet and seawater attack it!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 03:30:18 pm »

two years ago I meet up with 5 P2000 class RN University boats, all 5 were moored alongside each other and all of them were a slightly different shade of grey. When I mentioned this to the Lt in charge of them he said they it was the result of UV and sea water as all five were painted within 6 months of each other.

Its surprising how much the elements attack the paint work. Added to this I have since meet on of the tem responsable for paint procurement, they admitted that different batches can have a slightly different shade despite all mixed to the same BSI standard.

But tell that to any judge at a model show!

Daryl

dennisw100

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:17:11 am »

Its surprising how much the elements attack the paint work. Added to this I have since meet on of the tem responsable for paint procurement, they admitted that different batches can have a slightly different shade despite all mixed to the same BSI standard.

But tell that to any judge at a model show!

Daryl

Just the reason why when you have an acident repair done on your car you have to 'blend in' and new area of paint. As it never matches the original paint perfectly, although it may be close.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:15:50 pm »

Hi All

Colours at full size and colours at scale look different anyway. The exact paint, from the same tin/pot, will usually look too dark/strong when applied to a scale model. As for warships the grey is usually a mix of white and black and depends on how chiefy was feeling that day  ???

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 04:23:23 pm »

Hi Simon

Tamiya do a Deck Tan XF-55. It might be a bit light for a tug though.You could always chuck some grease on it.

Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.