Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hannibal-Majestic class Pre-dreadnought  (Read 156148 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Hannibal-Majestic class Pre-dreadnought
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2013, 05:05:46 pm »

Hi everyone

After the wavy line of portholes was spotted, I have engaged in the delicate art of correcting my mistakes!
Some fibreglass will be pushed on the inside of the hull, and some filler applied in preparation for some jiggling with the drill. I realised that I had missed about three portholes and using the recommended method I have drilled them out and applied some filler.

I have also started on the starboard forward hull ladder using the technique that Colin-d taught me at Ron's open days- using 0.5mm square micro strip and 0.5x0.25mm micro strip.
The GRP moulding was a little indistinguishable so I chose to sand them off and replace them using the plastic micro strip.
You can just make out my prototype porthole using a piece of 4mm diameter Perspex rod and a brass tube pushed into the GRP hull.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »

Nice work on the hull ladder. Detail fabricated looks so much better than moulded in.
Portholes are challenging, especially getting the positioing spot on as a smidge out of line becomes very visible. For mine I drilled 2mm holes then opened up by eye with a round rifler to fit perspex rod plugs.
The brass surrounds looks really good on 'victorian's HMS Niobe.
Excellent progress  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »

Hi Bob

Thanks for the positive comments, as I found out, just a slight lapse in attention and the drill slips that little bit, didn't help me being a bit tired at the time! :embarrassed:  I'm temporarily working for a front line squadron and they work all hours of the day… and night!
I'm trying my best to use the skills I've picked up from yourself, Victorian, and Colin-d, (and everyone else) to get a decent finish on the hull. My aim is to get the hull and main superstructure complete for the Mayhem next year- she'll look like a Majestic- just not fully detailed! :-))
Nick B

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2013, 10:02:37 am »

The brass surrounds looks really good on 'victorian's HMS Niobe.

Yeah, but... (Thanks for the compliment!)

The etched eyebrows and rims are designed to soak up all the drilling 'float' that Nick is telling us about. By putting them on after the hull is painted you can correct for some of those errrors. The're probably a bit coarse and I left them unpainted in the style of a builder's model. Also I wanted the ones with the gratings for the anchor chain area and etching was the only way to do it. I prob have some spares left over Nick....

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2013, 01:13:54 pm »

Hi everyone

Back on track now with the hull detailing, after many an hour studying the pictures I have and even many more I have been sent by mayhem members, I have started to glue what can only be described as a decorative rubbing strip. This has been made from 5mm square plastic rod, and using the admiralty drawings as a reference, I marked out each of the 'cut-outs'. I used a small rectangular diamond file and a mitre mate to file a 5mm groove into the plastic, filing out to about 2.5mm. When I had finished I went over the strip with some fine wet and dry sand paper to round off the edges. Luckily the GRP hull has the line required for this rubbing strip marked on the hull as a raised strip which runs to either end of the 'armour' plating. With a bit of super glue I slowly glued the strips to the GRP hull and using a metal rule I ensure this time that it was perfectly straight, not like my earlier attempt at drilling portholes!

I have started to create the deck capping strip, I cut out the sycamore 1/64" ply pre-lasercut deck supplied in the kit, and to my horror it looked incredibly small compared to my deck area. Know that everyone else who had made their models of the Majestic class had not mentioned any problems with the decks I quickly studied one of the few clear deck shots I have of the Majestic class I was quietly relieved to find out that the capping strip was very wide, the wooden deck is not as wide as on later ships. So some 1mm thick plastic card supplied in the kit was cut down in to 4mm wide strips and I started to glue them to the deck. Around the anchor beds, the strip widens further, to find out the required amount I laid the thin veneer deck on to the deck and carefully marked around it and put the lovely deck back into its protective sleeve.

I have also made what I thought were ash chutes but I was corrected that the two smaller chutes are not for ash but more for toilet waste, which is why they extend below the waterline.

The aft chute is made from 5mm square plastic rod rounded off and glued to a piece of 0.25mm plastic card sheet which is fraction wider than the chute itself. The forward chute will be constructed in this way too when I get round to building it.

P.S. the picture above from the starboard beam shows what looks like two tripod masts, don't worry they are not for this project!!! They are glued to my model of HMS Coventry behind the Prince George, she is resting whilst I get my sanity back- I was gluing individual strips of 1/64" ply only 2mm wide and 54mm long to the forecastle, almost done, only another 4ft to go! %%

Oh, and the room it sits is my the room I live in at work, not an ideal place to work- too many regular inspections by the Station Commander, have to keep it incredibly clean, mind you the models do distract him from looking too far into my room! :-))
Nick B

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2013, 01:35:41 pm »

One place to look for clues on how the edge of the deck might have appeared is the battleship 'Texas' preserved in Houston. Below is a pitifully poor snap of the foc'sle, but I'm sure much better ones can be found on t'internet.

Michael B

• Shipmate
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2013, 06:58:42 pm »

Hello Nick

I had the same problem. The deck was too small for the hull. However, I still had the old printed wood deck. Ron Dean then sent me the first prototype laser deck, but that was also too small, as it had the print of the old wood decks as a template. Then I decided to lay individual deck planks. I got the laser-cut wood planks of deans marine. After my hull is finished as far as from the outside, I'm going on with the deck next.

However, in the meantime I started with the 56 feet steam launches. I want to detailed them a little more

greeting

Michael

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2013, 11:27:12 am »

If I can makes some observations about making port holes that perhaps our online experts might wish to comment on.
Firstly Nick is doing an excellent job.  Love this thread.

Creating precise holes in a well clamped sheet of flat Perspex or ABS is totally unlike a curved fibreglass hull that may have a slight surface texture, a hard outer skin, and an irregular interior mix of strands and resin.  Even if the drill starts spot on it is likely to drift off line going through.  Start small then open up by hand.

I like Victorians solution.  Personally I used J R Haynes porthole eyebrows over the Perspex rod blanks.  Looking at the Hannibal photos earlier these might be ideal.  Just a suggestion.

Nice work on the rubbing strips and deck edging.   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »

Hi Bob K/Michael B/Victorian

Thank you for your kind comments and support with my build, I went to Mobile Marine Model's Christmas Cracker yesterday and collected my brass stanchions from Ron. They are fantastic little fittings, only 11mm tall and have 3 balls! I ordered 200 so hopefully I have enough to line the deck edges and some left over for the superstructure, fingers crossed! :-))
Nick B

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »

Here's an idea: put a strip of hardwood between the deck capping strip and your planking. On the real thing, it was called a 'spurnwater'. I don't have a 'deck capping strip' around my deck edge, I just have the hardwood spurnwater.

My flag staffs are just placed in dry fit. Both brass uprights should have 3 eyelets for the guardrails, a eyelet higher up for the awning stanction line while the rear has the bracket that holds a lamp. suspended by a line. They both hold a wooden flagstaff out to one side.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2013, 01:51:57 pm »

Pondweed. Clearly a picture of Lion. Can we have more details and/or another thread. Is she to 1/96 scale and will she be finished in time for the anniversary of Jutland?

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:17 pm »

Hi Pondweed

Thanks for the suggestion, I have spotted a spurnwater on one of my photos so that will do brilliantly to cover the gap between the deck and the capping strip.
I, too, would like to say what an amazing model of HMS Lion, from what I can see the detail is fanstastic.
I'm interested in building a 1/96 scale HMS Warspite from 1916 just before her infamous duel with the German Navy! The project is a long way away but who knows it might be finished for the 110th anniversary of Jutland!
Returning to the Prince George I have drilled out the aft portholes on the starboard side, straight and level this time! :}
Nick B

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »

Thanks chaps. It's known around here as HMS Unfinsihed. I took the pics of these as they turned out well and was quite proud of them.

I forgot to mention these will be amoung the first things broke off it so the wood pole lifts out of the two 'clamps' so I can replace them. A strip of thin wire holds the brass upright into the deck, the idea being that there's now 'give' in it and any knocks and I'll be able to bend it back. The bracing arms probably won't be attached to the deck and simply rest upon it.

I will give thought to a build thread.

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2013, 05:04:47 pm »

Hi RL
I came upon these links to 2 models so thought I'd post them here as they are your area. First is a model of Hindustan that seems to be in a church on Lundy Isle (I confess to not reading the page).

The second is a model of the cruiser HMS Hogue in a Canadian museum. The page has 16 podcasts giving a brief talk on each? model, HMS Hogue is No6.

http://www.ago.net/thomson-ship-models-podcast

Maybe you will have more success at finding images of the Hogue model than I? I found these 2:

There's another modeller on this board who seeks out these builders models so ...

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2013, 09:40:53 pm »

The model of Hindustan was removed from Lundy Island to the Glasgow museums store a few years ago. I don't know if it is on display in the new museum, but it was in poor condition after perhaps a century on the Island.

I didn't now about the Hogue model in Ontario - thanks! There's a very similar model of Cressy in the Ships of the Sea Museum in Savannah, Georgia - pic attached.

So far I have not been able to discover any builders model of a Majestic class battleship. If anyone knows differently, please advise!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »

Hi Pondweed

Thanks for the pictures, I too will look through my collections for any pictures of Hogue. It certainly is an impressive builders model.

This week I have been drilling the port side portholes so not really huge developments, However whilst I was waiting for some filler to dry I did cut out the forward 'hooded barbette' mounting base and the actual hood itself. The base plate is from the 1mm plastic card template supplied in the kit and the vacform sheet. The hood is also a vac form piece and after some careful marking and cutting, I have removed a majority of the excess plastic and I am in the process of using sand paper taped to the table and carefully sanding it off, ensuring that it remains level.
The barrels are resin items that have hollowed out muzzles, they sit in a specially created mount supplied in the kit as a vac form item.

I will be bringing the model home for Christmas to continue the build at home with my Dad's HMS X1 for company!
Happy Christmas everyone! :-))
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2013, 08:23:35 pm »

Hi everyone

I'm having a brilliant time building this week, I'll share my pictures with you this weekend. :-))

Anyway, whilst I physically building the hull I'm looking into a couple of features such as rotating armoured barbettes (turrets). Looking at what I've got to play with I have-
  • 1mm plastic card base plate
  • A vacuform upper base plate or mounting base
  • A vacuform turret
  • 1mm plastic card turntable (sits beneath the vacuform turret)
  • X2 solid resin gun barrels
  • A 2inch (50mm) gap beneath the main deck
  • Robbe 7 channel tx
  • Robbe modules which allow servo movement and flick switches to be used
Anyone got any recommendations for the use of the above items and if I use servos to rotate the turrets what type or make are best for the job?
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2013, 06:38:45 pm »

Hi everyone

Did everyone enjoy Christmas? I did, I now have an almost ready model to carry out radio control trials on a nice calm lake- hopefully this Sunday!

Over the last couple of weeks I have been mainly concentrating on the running gear, the 12v car heater motors are now firmly attached to the hull and the prop shafts, the brackets are made from aluminium sheet.

In this picture you can see the speed controller and rx mounts, the holes are for the screw heads that are beneath the Electronize ESCs so they can sit flush. Beneath these mounts are lead ballast boxes that are permanently glued in place.

In the next pictures is the rudder tiller arm, the rudder swings quite nicely with the servo in control. The box that the servo sits on is another ballast box containing about 7lb of lead

Over all the model weighs 35-6lbs with enough space for an extra 2-3lbs of trimming ballast.
Nick B

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2013, 10:48:30 am »

You've made a nice job of the internals. Very tidy!!! I tend to just jamb it all in there as it won't be seen.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

Hi Pondweed
I think it's the RAF techie in me to keep it neat and tidy- I think they train us to be OCD!

One thing I did learn today was not to trust second hand speed controllers, especially after fitting them and routing all the wires nicely. I couldn't get them to set up, one wouldn't play at all and stayed on full speed whatever the adjustment, the other could only be described as lethargic in response and the power being let through. After some investigation I found out that these particular ESC had not been made for quite a few years and was made as a kit. If anyone has any info on Electronize Type43HX ESC I would very grateful.
Anyway, I took out the old ESCs and fitted a pair I have used before and knew to work- two Electronize FR30X- and wired them as best I could considering everything had been routed for the other ESCs!
After rewire this morning I tested everything, both motors spun inwards, the rudder swung left and right correctly, and the foggy unit produced good quantities of 'steam vapour'. I even ensured the props are on the right sides to prevent any embarrassing mishaps at the lake tomorrow! :embarrassed:
I cut out the upper deck funnel housing for the foggy unit funnel and then cut out the fibreglass area on the superstructure to create the spar deck.

Looks a bit odd at the moment, but I will be making a modified funnel for the foggy unit to create the twin funnels. Wish me luck she's going going for a test drive tomorrow if the weather holds... :-))
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2013, 07:35:46 pm »

for christ sake Nick, put some lego workyard figures or a penguin on her!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2013, 07:41:04 pm »

Klunk, didn't you hear? My Lego work force has gone on strike! {-)  And what can I say about the penguins, they are refusing to go near the model whilst my dog is in the vicinity, he's already captured one of them! %%
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »

lol, nothing for it then, you'll have to put your dad on it!!!
full time penguin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »

Ha ha

He's refusing to touch it too, I think he doesn't want his name anywhere near it if it fails! I'll prove him wrong, after all how many Tornados have crashed since I started working on them, second thoughts better not! Dads laughing at me because my props don't seem to have much pitch or area so he reckons it will be all steam and no go! {-)
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52:13 am »

trial and error
full time penguin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.