Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hannibal-Majestic class Pre-dreadnought  (Read 156132 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Hannibal-Majestic class Pre-dreadnought
« Reply #275 on: October 07, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »

Nick, what is the sleek looking hull behind Prince George? Is it a torpedo boat??

Ah ha you've spotted a little project I have been doing at work when I'm not building the Prince George.

Its one of Steve Pickering's (Chylds Hall Model Shipyard) Yarrow 125ft First Class Steam Torpedo Boat of 1885 built to 1/48 scale. A lovely model which I saw at Doncaster Model Boat Show this year and had to have! Its also the perfect size to transport in the back of the car for those quick trips to the lake when its finished.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:53 pm »

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the kind comment, I'm pleased with my progress so far and hopefully I won't forget the vision slots in the conning towers before I stick them in to place! :-))
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:21 pm »

Hi James

It was good to see you again on Sunday, your Suffolk looks fantastic! :-))  I'm trying my very best so I don't have to rip off anything I've fitted now in the future- I hope!

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2014, 10:19:49 pm »

You tease you! His range looks attractive especially given his recent entry on to the market. I read the review of his picket boat in Model Boats the other month and was impressed. I am not sure if the Billings one at 1:32 might not be a bit more handleable on the water though, as the reviewer (If I recall correctly) said it would not sail on anything but mill pond.

I have done too much buying of models on the hop before in my military and wargaming hobbies to spot buy model ship kits, but will add the odd one to my wish list when Rupert and Ready are complete.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2015, 08:21:06 pm »

Hiya everyone

Been a while since I gave a update of the build so far but for those who didn't see her at Warwick here are some pictures of the completed paint job (well of the hull anyway!), the start of the planks being laid down, and some trial fits of the cowl vents, turrets, hatches, etc...

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2015, 08:37:55 pm »

Mmm, dreamy:O)

She's coming along a treat Nick.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2015, 08:51:07 pm »

Glad you like her Ian, it's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of perseverance and a short break.
She looks like a battleship now, going to start the net shelf placement next with all the booms and handling equipment. The admirals walkway roof has been cut to shape and temporarily taped in place before I paint it white. I learnt to plank the deck from several mates who all recommended the same thing- graphite pencil and as many 2mm wide lime planks as you can get! If you check out the Deans Marine website you'll be able to see my current build of the upgrade kit for the gun hoods ( still call them turrets!). They are made from GRP and are direct replacements for the vacform items in the Hannibal kit.
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2015, 09:25:28 pm »

Yes, I saw that when looking at the video of the new shop. I love the shape of the turrets and was amazed when I found ou that the top had a sun roof! I hope they were plated over before or during WW1.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:55 pm »

From what I've been told and read they didnt expect plunging shells at that time, and when they fired the main guns the gun crews were grateful of the extra ventilation! They were apparantly covered over with wood and canvas when not in use, a photo postcard I have shows the cover held in place with wingnuts. The turret magazine hatch was not inside the rotating mechnism so when they fired and reload the guns they had to return back to the central position and then go back to the firing position. This was only rectified on Caesar and Illustrious (the last two to be built) which had circular shaped turrets.
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2015, 08:45:33 pm »

It shows how quickly the technology moved forwards, as several classes of ship had the last one or two sporting technology that the following class had as standard.

I always felt the the name 'Illustrious' would have been a good Battlecruiser name, but of course the Majestics were still in service when the Invincibles and Indefatigables were commissioned.

Keep whittling that Majestic Nick:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Michael B

• Shipmate
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2015, 07:30:31 pm »

Hello Nick,
very nice gun turrets. They look very good on your majestic-class.  ;)
Michael

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2015, 09:02:19 pm »

Hello Michael

Good to hear from you, I certainly like the turrets too, the designer/modeller did a good job creating the prototype. :-)) %)
Nick
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:18 pm »

I have made a few curved turrets with sloped sides and you do need to keep an eye on both planes as you sand and file. The end result is worth it though. The matilda II turret with its duoble angled sides was a challenge but it is a lovely shaped turret with its cut outs and bulge for the radio.

Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:32 pm »

Well since my last post in this build thread was erased' by the last outage I thought I would repost...

I had a problem...

During my turret build for a different forum (Deans Marine) I was preparing to mask the turret off for paint when I discovered my problem.
The problem occurs when you look at the difference between Victorian ship identication methods and that of their immediate successors- the Edwardians. For those not in the know the Edwardian Royal Navy painted their warships grey but identical looking ships need to be told apart so they used the funnels to paint identification bands. The Victorians used a slightly different method, their ships were painted black hulled, with white and buff coloured upperworks but once again we have the problem of telling close sisters apart. The Victorians chose to paint colour bands along the upper structure, and you've guessed it, along the turret sides too- all in a perfectly straight line!

Well you ask whats this got to do with me...

Well as I was prepping the turrets I noticed they sat rather low compared to the superstructure so I started to measure everything and it was all ok until I measured the external height of the superstructure- it was 8mm too high in the centre and 4mm at the ends. Thats when I realised my mistake, I'm using a upgraded kit of the Hannibal which has the strenghtened deck which is 4mm thick whilst the original kit has a 1mm thick ply deck. I forgot to take this into account and stuck the GRP superstructure around it which meant that the internal height was correct but the external wasn't. I spent one Saturday using a rotary file to remove 3.5mm of ply around the edges to lower the superstructure which has corrected most of the problems! I'll post some pictures soon.

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »

Ouch, I feel your pain as you carefully remove material like an archeaologist.

I was wondering if you could tell me what the part numbers are for the kit's 3pounder guns and 6inch guns and shields?

I ask because the 12inch gun monitor I want to build has four of the latter while HMS Achilles (Warrior class cruiser) had 21 or more 3pounders.

I need to know this as Deans Marine need the numbers to know what I am asking for.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2015, 05:01:16 pm »

Sorry for the late reply Ian

I've just found the parts list for the Hannibal kit

6 inch gun barrels   A12
12 inch gun barrel   B70
3pdr gun kits          A16
12pdr gun kits         A8

Some of the gun shields are part of the gun kit but replacement parts are on the etched brass sheets for the Hannibal kit.

Hope this helps :-))
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:45 pm »

Pictures as promised...

Sorry about the stretching of the images, my ipad camera seems to be doing that at the moment but you get the idea!
Nick B

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2015, 07:16:05 pm »

She is looking really superb Nick.  I thought Majestic had gone quiet lately, with your well deserved promotion and move.  Glad to see the detailing is back underway.  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2015, 07:22:01 pm »

Thanks Bob, I've been looking at your least few build updates of your Polyphemus and they look brilliant, we both seem to getting on again! :-)) 
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: April 15, 2015, 11:05:22 pm »

Been a bit quiet recently but now have got my finger out and started gluing furiously!
I've been putting off a difficult bit of planking but after some work on another project I have taken the plunge! The planking goes to the superstructure side and is the same 2mm wide strips of lime wood for the main deck, just wish I had done this before I attached the funnel casing and generator room buildings.

Nick B

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: April 16, 2015, 08:33:39 am »

Looking good. A couple of questions if I may:

1) What are you using for the caulking?

2) Where did you source your wood? I'm having trouble sourcing planks for a 1/96 scale model of Iron Duke - all 6ft 6" of her! Particularly when cost comes i nto the equasion. I seem to be getting estimates of between £60 to £250. Ouch!

I have been thinking about cutting my own but I don't have a table saw and I doubt my abilities to find a way to accuratly cut 90 planks width wise.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work

Cheers

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: April 16, 2015, 09:28:22 am »

Geoff,
May I suggest Mantua Models.  eg:  https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/4_Model_Wood/White_Maple_Strip/
0.5 mm thick in a variety of woods  Widths 2, 3, 4, 5, 6mm etc. In packs of 10 or 50.  2x'50 packs' should do it.
Personally, at this scale I 'caulk' plank edges with black felt tip, then stain planks with tea.

Nick,  Oh the 'joys' of planking, can be one of the most awkward and fiddly jobs going.  Looking good  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »

Thank you. This works out at a reasonable cost. What is the quality of the wood - are all planks exactly the same width or is there a noticeable variation?

THnaks

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2015, 02:12:02 pm »

Geoff:   It is very good quality, and very consistent - which it important when planks are laid against each other. Only 'caulk' one edge as you move across. 'Nibbing' into the edge planks takes some practice, but with a little practice will come out looking very realistic.  I am sure Nick can give you more detailed advice from his excellent build of HMS Price George.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: April 16, 2015, 08:53:31 pm »

Glad to see you back on the bridge again Nick. I was wondering how Prince George was going. Planking looks like it is one of those rites of passage on a project where it is onerous, time consuming and can be a pain in the bleep-bleeps, but once finished, it just adds that extra something to a model.

Years ago I used strips of veneer on my Novgorod which looked good. I did not think of caulking then, and the damp got in and lifted it after a few years. A fine grain veneer might be an option?
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.