Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: humbrol paint  (Read 3253 times)

guitar man

• Full Mayhemer
humbrol paint
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:16:39 pm »

Hi all
I am soon to paint my king George V hull which so far I have finished with tissue and dope ( old fashion I know but I like the method) . I was planning to try air brushing it with a humbrol paint Possibly a matt my question is, will this on its own be enough or does it need a varnish to make it water proof, when I say water proof I mean the paint, the hull is already water sealed .The reason I am not using a standard rattle tin is that I wanted to try different methods see what I like best . Any way as always thanks in advance for any help

Kind regards Tony

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: humbrol paint
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:49:00 pm »

as far as I am awear both primer and matt paints are not water proof, but a great guy on here who has proberly forgot more about pain then we will ever know, call stav (dave) is the best man to ask.
                         regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:50:12 pm »

opps I missed off the T from paint  Sorry guys.
                         Howard.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:22:12 pm »

Yeah you will need to coat the Matt finishes with a satin varnish or even a gloss to seal it............BUT another way is to CHEAT

Apply the varnish to the hull FIRST before applying the matt finishes then you will be OK

Dave

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:03:14 am »

How does that protect the paint Dave if you put it on first, never to old to learn.

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:29:36 am »

It is NOT the actual paint that you need to protect  is the hull .

Paint by it's nature is what it is a Protectant for the surface that it is applied over.Now you would t put matt paint over your wooden front door as ALL matt paints are porus and would need a protective coating.Gloss paints by their nature dry leaving a hard coating wich is glossy wich repells moisture.

So if you want a matt finish on your model simply laquer or varnish before painting,the amount of ingress into the matt paint on a model being used weekly WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR PAINTWORK so all this having to protect your paintwork with varnish in MY mind is a waste of time,dust can be brushed or blown off

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:50:08 am »

Yes Dave, but matt paint being porous it does tend to stain easily in a marine environment and that affects the appearance of the model. With a protected finish it's a lot easier to wipe off the grime and slime!
Colin

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:56:24 am »

BUT Colin all you got to do is wash it off at home

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

Not always practical for a detailed scale model Dave, I know you put your straight runners through the car wash...... ;)

Colin

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 05:40:06 pm »

Are we not talking about natural weathering?.

Len.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 05:50:47 pm »

Are we not talking about natural weathering?.

Len.

Got it in one Len.
The only pristine vessels plying the seas
are Lifeboats and they are gloss painted.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:00 pm »

Some Matt finishes MAY be porous, and many sub-surfaces coatings ARE porous, but to suggest ALL Matt paint is porous is absolutely ridiculous.

Matt paint is, however, 'less smooth' than gloss. Consequently, some finishes will attract marks and stains, also water doesn't bead on it the same way, which may make it appear to be porous - It isn't (all).

If it was, there would be no Matt, Satin and Eggshell finishes suitable for external use. There would be no Matt-painted stucco, or pebble-dashed buildings (especialy in coastal towns), and when was the last time you saw a shiny finish protecting the masonary of a lighthouse?.

You couldn't use Matt, Satin or Eggshell in areas of high humidity inside - except you can; and have you seen all of the luxury vehicles which are available with Matt or Satin finishes (not including the military) - Do you really expect them to turn into rusting heaps in 5 or 6 years?

Also consider the use of wood finishes on various leisure vessels (for example), they aren't always finished with a shiny gloss coating, and frequently feature a Matt or Satin coating.
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »

Whether you prefer your models pristine or weathered is purely a matter of preference. Personally I like mine pristine.
There are other vessels apart from lifeboats which maintain a pristine appearance in full size. Just look at cruise ships for example, I also saw a couple of North Sea support vessels in Yarmouth last week which were also very smart with immaculate paintwork.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:20 pm »

Also consider the use of wood finishes on various leisure vessels (for example), they aren't always finished with a shiny gloss coating, and frequently feature a Matt or Satin coating.

MARINE paint is totally DIFFERENT To  exterior household paint let alone modeling paints  and also rattle can paint   ........

........OVER 35 years in the paint trade .........I can not keep quiet any longer 

Dave

Moderated - Martin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:44 pm »

Thread moderated.

NB: All posts on Mayhem should be positive.   :police:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.