Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Victoria Mast  (Read 4882 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Victoria Mast
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »

Sorry but its yet another Victoria Query Just got one on flea bay  all seems ok except the Mast is  leaning forward .Now my query is  how do I get it vertical it seems to be quite fixed at the base .cant see in the manual  how it fits to the base   I thought it would be just sitting  in a cup so speak but seems it might go through the little plastic  thingy and through the deck awee bit. Tensioning the Backstay  more only bends it Can anyone please  enlighten perhaps with a Pic or  Sketch
Thanks

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Victoria Mast
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:29 pm »

Jay
Unless the previous owner used CA or epoxy to glue the mast base into the base fitting, it should be easy to wiggle out of the base fitting. If it is bonded, using care you can heat the area with a hair dryer or heat gun - being careful not to over heat that area. I have used the tip of soldering iron on things like this. If you opted to try that you'd touch the tip of the soldering iron to the mast as close to the base piece without touching any plastic parts. Again, be careful not to over heat the parts. I use undo the two screws that hold the base plate to the deck you should be able to determine if anything has been bonded together. If not with it loosen it might be easier to attach the problem.

The mast is held in place by the shrouds and backstay, so those would need to loosened or disconnected (sorry if that seems obvious). The manual instructs the builder to bond the mast pieces together so if that was done - your mast is one long piece now. Makes it a real pain to ship the boat to anyone if you want to sell it.  >>:-( I'm hoping the guy didn't get carried away with the epoxy and bonded the mast to it's base plate. It should just be sitting in that little black base fitting and should come out of there pretty easily. CA doesn't hold to ABS as well as epoxy in my experience - These would be the 2 most likely adhesives someone might use.

If he did, a little heat and gentle but firm wiggling should get it free. Good luck!

If you have the manual look at pages 7 figure 16 and page 15 and figure 33 - They show how the base plate is attached and how the mast just slips into it. The rigging holds the mast in place - shouldn't be bonded -

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:30:52 pm »

Thanks Boomer on closer inspection this mast goes right through the the little plate and down inside the hull it looks as if its been bonded and/or wired to the Keel   tube . Not too worried at the mo  as its just to get back on the water so to speak. If I get serious  maybe a new mast  etc will sort it
Thanks gain

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »

Before I  get myself in too deep with the mast have found some  faults to play with the goose neck was a way too low  .Due to not being   Glued to the mast  AArg! what   do I use to bond it in situ bearing in mind at the Mo cant remove the mast . Also on studying the rigging  found  two of the main mast lines  back to front .Another calamity the Bloody snaps On trying to close them pulled  the deck eyelets out same question what  glue to bond them back in again. Oh well I had some fun sailing her this morning  without hitting anyone or sinking :} 

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:35 am »

Before I  get myself in too deep with the mast have found some  faults to play with the goose neck was a way too low  .Due to not being   Glued to the mast  AArg! what   do I use to bond it in situ bearing in mind at the Mo cant remove the mast . Also on studying the rigging  found  two of the main mast lines  back to front .Another calamity the 'blinking!' snaps On trying to close them pulled  the deck eyelets out same question what  glue to bond them back in again. Oh well I had some fun sailing her this morning  without hitting anyone or sinking :}

If you have a copy of the assembly instructions look at page 15 figure 33 -  shows you a correctly assembled mast - if I understand what you are saying, the boom vang's mast connection fitting is loose on the mast tube. To secure it, CA will hold it in place. The picture I posted before shows that fitting installed correctly as well.

To re-attach the plastic eyelets that are broken off the deck, you can use CA or 2 part epoxy - for that 5 min. cure would be good. I have posted a few picture of aftermarket fittings you can buy to replace those plastic parts should that appeal to you. Sailsetc.com has lots of great RC sailboat hardware - they sell world wide.

If your are able post a few photos of the problem areas on your boat. They would be very helpful to us in be able to provide proper suggestions.  O0

Some of the guys on your side of the pond can suggest places over there that have the kinds of hardware shown in the pictures I posted.

Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:25:35 am »

Deck eyelets seem a problem, but are not.
Mine came out because the surface is adhesion was low, possible due to perfect finish and factory residues on the surface of the plastic. Remember the glue works like a chemical weld.

The first gluing will have got rid of most of this by melting the surface faces. Regluing is much stronger, I had one or two that needed a third gluing. Since then they have stayed put. Using the glue supplied should be fine. Light scoring of the area could help if using epoxy, but it is a very small area.

Seriously, there is no real need for engineering metal plates unless you want the pleasure of doing it. I would be careful about the deck rack option. I think (don't know) that two screws only may not be enough to hold three stays on a thin moulded ABS deck.

Ref the height of the boom.
The boom needs to be as close as possible to the hull the get the best from the air. Closing the gap give you better performance when close hauled.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:00:09 pm »

Thanks Guys for the Info  I  will see how the Glue goes first which Ive just done on the deck eyes and  gooseneck
Do either of you know the internal diameter of the mast as  I.m thinking of  cutting it at deck level and  hopefully finding a suitable bit of rod to  slip it back over  (remember this Mast goes through the deck to the    keel)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:58:28 pm »

OK belay the question on Diameters    I got the mast off now .It seems the guy lashed and epoxied  a brass rod to the Keel rod  then up through the deck and up a few inches into the Mast. This rod (tube)  somehow got bent forward a bit  which of course    affected the mast Vertical. So now got the  mast off and the offending rod out I think I will  replace it with a  piece of Dowel rod  but cut it off at deck level so the mast sits as it should .Well thats the theory  {-)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 01:45:11 pm »

be careful of untreated wood , it has a tendancey to swell up and stop the mast being removed ( ive been there before ! )  ive a standard micro magic which is supplied with an alloy tube through the deck / keel box , just ten months sailing twice a week has resulted in that also corroding and expanding , im now using carbon fibre tube to provide the mast step , so far without a problem ! jon

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »

Thanks Jon never thought of that but I'm not going have the dowel go into the mast .Its just    to be a Pit prop so to speak and to fill the hole in the Deck .Do you think that should be ok?

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 03:35:47 pm »

On second thoughts got a bit of aluminium tube might use that instead of the Dowel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »

One of the Canadian modifications was to strengthen the deck below the mast by

epoxying a ply frame around the keel plate and adding two uprights just like pit props.

Your dowell will serve the same purpose.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 07:19:12 pm »

think neds idea sounds better , the less flexing of the deck around the mast foot the better

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »

Yes Ned I saw the  Canada version but  I thinks thats done before the radio tray goes in  I 've  opted for an aluminium prop  see how it goes 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.