Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAF 40: 60ft General Service Pinnace  (Read 5513 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
RAF 40: 60ft General Service Pinnace
« on: July 14, 2013, 04:15:45 pm »

Hi everyone

This is our second model we ever built way back (almost 7 years ago!).
It's an RAF Pinnace built by Groves and Gutteridge on the Isle of Wight. Built to replace the 56ft Pinnaces they were the general dogsbody of the RAF Marine Craft Section, recovering torpedoes to carrying spares and assisting with engine changes in other vessels- some were converted to be Air Sea Rescue Pinnaces during the Battle of Britain.
This model is built to 1/12th scale from softwood frames and 1/16" plywood skin laid diagonally. She is powered by two Honda car heater motors , one of which drives two propellers via a belt drive. Dimensionally she is 60 inches long, 14 inches wide , and weighs 28lbs. She is probably our most reliable model we have ever built! She has two 12v 7amp/hr SLA batteries joined to make 14amp/hr. Each motor is controlled individually by its own Electronize 15 amp ESC via a Robbe F-14 Twin Stick Tx and Rx. As you can see from the pictures she has just been repaired, her port p-bracket broke last year and we have only just got round to repairing it! The entire mast and winch is completely scratch built from old meccano bits, brass sheet, brass rod, and plastic pulleys. Each of the derrick pulleys were made from brass examples from a company I can't remember the name of anymore which were taken apart and remade to suit our needs. She is due a rebuild to finish her off, the hand rails are going to be replaced with proper wire rails instead of solid ones, deck lights are going to fitted, the life rings are going to be fitted and the flag pole will be made at the stern.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
Re: RAF 40: 60ft General Service Pinnace
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »

Super looking craft Nick, after the re-fit she will be just awesome... :-))

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »

You really must get into Silver Soldering Nick instead of soft solders. Cracking joints is a time thing and especially since the joint failed on the CMB. Cupalloys syringe pastes are ideal for your application, too late for the present builds unless you start from scratch with new brass bits, yer can't clean and Silver Solder stuff that's been soft soldered.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:37:56 pm »

Looking good!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:12:14 pm »

You really must get into Silver Soldering Nick instead of soft solders. Cracking joints is a time thing and especially since the joint failed on the CMB. Cupalloys syringe pastes are ideal for your application, too late for the present builds unless you start from scratch with new brass bits, yer can't clean and Silver Solder stuff that's been soft soldered.

Regards  Ian.

Hi Ian

Dad's going out on Monday to get the Silver solder, Many thanks for revealing the secret of silver solder! Hopefully we will never have to resolder another joint on our future boats, he certainly will be using this method on our next project, its going to be big!  :-))
Nick B

Covert

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:50 pm »

That is really nice , wish to have something like it one day ! :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:58:44 pm »

Thanks everyone

We like to build the unusual and back then (and still are) we were very interested in the RAF Marine Craft Section primarily concentrating on the less glamorous boats required to keep the little navy going.
We ended up building a series of RAF work boats like Strath class weapons recovery trawler bought by the RAF in 1919, a failed ASRL built by Walton Yacht Works in 1942 which was used as a training boat, an Armoured Target Boat from 1937, and the first ASRL ever built but used as a range and target towing launch. One day we aim to build a refueller, a ferry boat, and an airborne lifeboat to complete the set. :-))
Nick B

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.