Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bobs Models  (Read 9674 times)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
Bobs Models
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »

Hello ive just heard Bobs Models (Solihull, Birmingham) has closed is it true? as i havent been out that way for a while. I used to cycle out there to get balsa and bits of electronics when i first started out if its true it is really sad.
badly raised and ill mannered.

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bobs Models
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:17:17 pm »

Hello ive just heard Bobs Models (Solihull, Birmingham) has closed is it true? as i havent been out that way for a while. I used to cycle out there to get balsa and bits of electronics when i first started out if its true it is really sad.

http://www.bobs-models.co.uk/
http://www.minichamps.co.uk/

As of 3rd July 2013 Bobs Models Ltd has ceased trading , Bobs Models have supplied Minichamps cars across the globe for some considerable time. Please note the shop is now closed and phone lines are now down, more information on the Insolvency Practitioner who has been appointed will be placed here shortly

For Minichamps in Amazon click here

Julia at Bobs Models would like to thank you for your custom in the past years

Tis a shame to hear that. I dare say that it is a result of too many modelers who "havent been out that way for a while"...
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »

Its not part of my chilhood but part of my youth as i got into R/C through Beatties/Tamiya buggies and went into boats after finding Bobs.
You are right i havent been out that way for a while im skint most of the time i never seem to have spare cash.

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »

Its not part of my chilhood but part of my youth as i got into R/C through Beatties/Tamiya buggies and went into boats after finding Bobs.
You are right i havent been out that way for a while im skint most of the time i never seem to have spare cash.

Hi leaky, I only used your quote as a generalisation - it wasn't meant personally.

Unfortunately the power of the internet, mail order companies, and the abundance of cheapo foreign imports is strangling the retail businesses.

Whilst the short-term 'damage' done by the loss of a local supplier is immediately obvious, the longer term loss of a convenient local retail meeting place and 'knowledge base' won't become apparent until one needs hands-on assistance.

We should also consider what will happen to 'mail order' prices when there are no retail proprietors left to undercut...

Andy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:41:51 pm »

I think that the reality is that the general decline in 'model making' as a hobby means that there is insufficient 'footfall' at local model shops to keep them going so the only logical alternative is to buy online and a number of model shops have realised this by offering online ordering which provides most of their revenues.

As far as the 'local knowledge base' is concerned, the Internet Forums provide a far superior alternative.

Times change,

Colin

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »

I think that the reality is that the general decline in 'model making' as a hobby means that there is insufficient 'footfall' at local model shops to keep them going so the only logical alternative is to buy online and a number of model shops have realised this by offering online ordering which provides most of their revenues.

As far as the 'local knowledge base' is concerned, the Internet Forums provide a far superior alternative.

Times change,

Colin

Whilst I agree 'Times change' - the internet will never be able to influence a youngster (of any age!) who has experienced their first proper model shop, and there are somethings that are easier (or can only be) explained or tested with a hands-on approach. In addition, unless you are familiar with IT, and/or are willing to participate in a Forum to some degree, you're basically scuppered.

With no reason to have to go to a model shop, there is no possibility of spending additional funds on impulse purchases. How many of us have gone to buy a certain roduct and come away with much more treasure than we initially went in for?

Even the magazines are promoting subscriptions and freebies like there's no tomorrow (and I mean a wide variety of Hobby and pastime publications, not just Model Boating mags). Whilst I understand the reasoning for it, it also does away with the reason to make a monthy trip around the shops. The irony being, that the back of the magazines invariably carry adverts from the shops that 'we' now no longer need to visit.

Andy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:56:52 am »

The internet is not evil. Many small traders have embraced eCommerce and turned their businesses around. Many of these traders maintain a brick and mortar presence, many others do not.

Colin mentioned 'footfall'. This used to be the main criteria for a brick and mortar site. However, a lot of those feet that pass a shop window are not interested in what the shop is selling. The eCommerce equivalent of footfall is 'visits', most of those who visit a Website have some interest in what the trader may be selling.

Even internet traders go bust.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:20 am »

We have one local model shop, which has been trading as such for almost 60 years. The original proprietor, and his son who took over from him, were both avid RC aircraft modellers, and the stock in the shop reflected that. However, they still carried a good range relating to other hobbies, model boats included. Sadly, the son died quite suddenly last year of a very aggressive cancer, but his wife is carrying on with the business. Unfortunately, the son, Dallas, had a wealth of knowledge which has gone with him, and as good as the other staff are, they can't completely fill the gap he left. If it were not for the fact that the shop also stocks a large range of toys, I think it would have folded years ago, as the model side does not have the patronage to keep it going. As Andy says, the local model shop is a wonderful meeting place, and our local one is no exception.

The internet can be a marvellous tool, and I'm as guilty as the next person of using it for hobby purposes. There is much more available on the web than any store could possibly stock, but the personal touch is not there
.Times do change, whether we like it or not, and not always for the better, but it's a fact of life.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 06:57:25 am »

Similar here in Wollongong Peter.......

"We have one local model shop, which has been trading as such for almost 60  [40 years] years. The original proprietor, and his son who took over from him, were both avid RC aircraft modellers, and the stock in the shop reflected that"

I support their shop stocked products of K&S brass, Duo-Bro accessories, certain timber sections, Plasti strut & CA glues etc  :-)) ..........but very little is stocked for model boat builders  <*<  ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tritsch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:22 am »

My nearest shopping is in Canberra and I just heard over the weekend  that Fishers Discount is closing down, everything 20% off from today.  They were the largest model railway shop in Canberra, but also had model cars, plastic kits and some model boat kits and bits and pieces.  There are still three model shops open but they concentrate on model cars and aircraft with a few model boats, mainly RTR.

Tony T   

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:31:19 am »

I went to visit a local - 30 miles one way - model shop. Its web site says in one place Closed Sundays in another Closed Wednesdays. I went on a Thursday - it was closed!!! This is an out of town operation, and someone from the next unit said they had gone to a show! I know shows are where they do a lot of business, but to be closed two days before the show with no indication on their web site?
I don't think I will be going again. I use the internet NOT because its cheaper, but because its the only option.

Barrie

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:34:33 am »

I'm all for supporting your local shops, (and I do where I can) BUT if they don't have what you want, what are you supposed to do?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

totally agree. I also support local model shops but if you need something in a hurry its pretty hard to beat the internet.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:35:22 am »

>:-o 
Twenty years ago I wanted to buy a hobby shop (there was no internet very important at this moment))

we evaluated the stock: there was nothing on the shelves,
BUT:
there was the equivalent of 80,000 pounds.

You order from Robbe, Graupner, JAMARA
you have to order at least ten by reference and we had to order a lot for a small discount.

Came delivery:
missing half the  command:
BUT
mostly missing what is selling the most

it was unmanageable!

then came the Internet

then came the Chinese

for the moment the prices are low .............................

when the Chinese have made disappear all the little shops you will see the price increase, much as with supermarkets that have disparaitrent small local shops.

I try to always buy in my neighborhood.

yes life changes, I am 71 years old and I do not see the result
So much the better!  <:( <:( <:(

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

What would we aussies do without Float a Boat :-))
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »

Another problem this morning. I went, not quite as far as last time, to buy some paint (Humbrol) from a stockist (not a model shop) who has one of the big displays. I wanted two colours - neither on the display and most of that nearly empty. Another supplier chalked off :((  I can't go on wasting petrol like this.  <*<

Barrie

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:24:07 pm »

Hi leaky, I only used your quote as a generalisation - it wasn't meant personally.
No worries no offence was took.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:40 am »

Another problem this morning. I went, not quite as far as last time, to buy some paint (Humbrol) from a stockist (not a model shop) who has one of the big displays. I wanted two colours - neither on the display and most of that nearly empty. Another supplier chalked off :((  I can't go on wasting petrol like this.  <*<

Barrie

I cant speak for shops in the UK but here in AUS quite often it's not the shop it's the suppliers, when we ordered Humbrol we got one shot a year  for a discount to avoid the ridiculous freight for dangerous goods, any other time the cost penalties made it impossible to sell if you put the proper markup on and that's only if the supplier had it in stock. the basic reds, blacks whites etc were very rarely in stock at the warehouse.
Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:48 am »

Oh, and if anyone needs any Humbrol tinlets I still have a rack of them in the shed, 12 of everything except red, black and white.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »

What would we aussies do without Float a Boat :-)) 

and us kiwis. great people to deal with and a they carry a good range of stock :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.