Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old stuff.  (Read 1422 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Old stuff.
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »

Some while ago I posted a short series about the trading patterns of various companies. One of the points I recall making was the fact that the USA wouldn't allow any ship that wasn't American owned and American crewed to carry any cargo between two American ports.
("Norseman" may recall this).

My main point was to illustrate why the US Merchant Navy was, in comparison to the European MN, was pretty thin on the ground..as it were.
In my ignorance I sort of assumed that such an archaic ruling would have been long discarded.
Wrong.
At last weeks meeting of the G20 on "Fair Trade" the Dutch complained that this law was still in existence and had recently prevented a Dutch ship that had loaded cargo in Baltimore en-route to Rotterdam from entering New York to discharge a few tons of Baltimore cargo.
Fair Trade? I think not. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Old stuff.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »

Would that be American owned or American Registered?.
All the Box Boats from Japan and China can only discharge once.
Everything must then go on trucks or American owned
Mini Box Boats.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »

Actually, I should have said American Coastal Traffic. Sorry. My fault.
But it kind of makes a mockery of the whole procedure when it's realised that a huge percentage of the shipping using "flags of convenience" is actually American owned.
Just ask yourself why "Liberia" is so named....it was a business deal wrapped up as a freedom from slavery country. BY.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »

the jones act of 1920 states cargo from American port to American port must be carried in a us built ship,owned by a us citizen,crewed by us citizen or a long term us resident....slug

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:56:59 pm »

Slug, that was basically my point.
At a G20 meeting in the year 2013 held to promote free-trade between countries the USA totally ignores freedom of trade carried aboard shipping....quoting an outdated and irrelevant statute dating from 1920 when world trading patterns were completely different.
"Protectionism" has always been a disagreeable trait of the Americans and in this day and age serves no purpose whatsoever...except to the financial benefit of the US.
Not even the USSR, South Africa or China resorted to this sort of behaviour. BY.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:44:39 pm »

The Americans do not honour their international agreements except when it favours them. We in Canada have watched them break agreement after agreement without even blinking. We are in a much worse position than the rest of you as we have water issues as well. One of our agreements dating from1927 was broken by them when they diverted water from one of their rivers into one of ours when the agreement expressly forbade it. They also fined us 5 million dollars because our softwood lumber was selling cheaper than theirs & gave the money to their producers.There will never be free trade with the Americans or for that matter treaties either. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39:50 am »

There must be flexibility in the Jones act cos during the 70's I was on Blue Sea Lines Ascanius and traded all ports on west coast, gulf coast and east coast including transshipment cargoes. British ship, flag and crew. Same on Phrontis. Same on Calchas/Akosombo in Great Lakes. How come?
Jerry.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »

There must be flexibility in the Jones act cos during the 70's I was on Blue Sea Lines Ascanius and traded all ports on west coast, gulf coast and east coast including transshipment cargoes. British ship, flag and crew. Same on Phrontis. Same on Calchas/Akosombo in Great Lakes. How come?
Jerry.
Who owns Blue Sea Lines? BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »

There's really only one answer to the American "High-Handedness".....and that is because they implicitly believe that "Might Is Right".....even though the rest of the world could well believe differently. With any luck the US authorities may well be swinging towards a more consensual solution. But don't hold your breath. BY.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:51:40 pm »

Blue Sea was Part of Ocean Fleets but existed when just Blue Flue. On the Great Lakes it was just Elder Dempsters stealing cargo off Black Star Line (Ghana).
Jerry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.