Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humbrol Matt Cote  (Read 2502 times)

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
Humbrol Matt Cote
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:17:50 pm »

Can anyone tell me what the new Humbrol Matt cote is like for picking up fingermarks and dirt etc. I'd normaly paint a hull in satin varnish as its a bit more durable and was wondering what matt cote is like
So many things to do, and not enough time to do it !

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Humbrol Matt Cote
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:41:23 pm »

It's a very, very, thin liquid that I have used for multiple coats applied to decking. As such, it's fine for that purpose but I suspect that satin varnish would give more protection to a hull against minor knocks and scrapes.
The big problem with it is availability. After using up my first jar, I found it impossible to get another locally and eventually found some nearly 500 miles away and that was the last jar they had!
Barry M

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »

Hi Ted H

I have used most of the Humbrol range recently but on my aircraft and Armoured Fighting Vehicles.
The quality of the paints and varnishes available from Humbrol have certainly improved over the last couple of years, the Matt Cote leaves a slight sheen finish to the model which makes removing dust a bit easier but still has the usual problems if you you pick up the model with dirty hands- leaving finger prints. The best thing I use instead, also available from Humbrol, is called "clear". It's based on the old Johnsons Future floor polish that someone discovered that it provided an extremely good finish to acrylic and enamel paint, and prevented clear plastic from fogging when using polystyrene and cyno super glues. When Johnsons changed the recipe it was not as good but Humbrol have filled that gap. It can be brushed or sprayed without leave brush marks and can be built up in layers depending on how glossy you like to see your models.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:05 pm »

Thanks Nick , so would you suggest a coat or two of clear on the hull and maybe  a matt cote on the uppers ( it is a warship so i don't want it too shiny)

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:33 pm »

It's a very, very, thin liquid that I have used for multiple coats applied to decking. As such, it's fine for that purpose but I suspect that satin varnish would give more protection to a hull against minor knocks and scrapes.
The big problem with it is availability. After using up my first jar, I found it impossible to get another locally and eventually found some nearly 500 miles away and that was the last jar they had!
Barry M
Hi Barry . I find the availability of matt coat etc. is also very scarce, it would appear that the retailer can only buy it from Humbrol in batches of 6 bottles which is a bit of an outlay and a risk for the small independent shop.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:07:41 pm »

Thanks Nick , so would you suggest a coat or two of clear on the hull and maybe  a matt cote on the uppers ( it is a warship so i don't want it too shiny)

That sounds about right, just enough to seal the paint but enough to keep a Matt like finish.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:41 pm »

i think thats what i'll do .. if it dont work i can always flatten it with matt cote

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:21 am »

I just realised that clear is acrylic and I've painted my boat with enamel so that won't work !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.