Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How old's your club.  (Read 7019 times)

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
How old's your club.
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »

Going back through the archive material that is available to me at the Wicksteed Park Model Boat club it would seem that we can trace our history back to 1934 as a club at Wicksteed, though going through several phases over the years.

Does your club go further than that? It would be nice to know how many clubs still going have their roots that far back or earlier.

Paul.

Good question. Ken   :-))

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

Stavros

Re: How old's your club.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:02:29 pm »

Hi Paul Well Blackheath if my memory is right goes back to 1928 I will see Phil this weekend and interrogate him

Dave

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:14:58 pm »

Runcorn & District has been around since 1947-8  :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »

The Fleetwood Model Yacht & Power Boat Club was formed in 1929 and the lake, as we know it today, was officially opened by Earl Bettie of “Jutland” fame in 1932,

good pedigree.

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

Hello Dave

Phil doesn't go that far back does he? lol.

Just a bit of an update really, I've just come across another newspaper clipping with hand annotation "Nov 13th 1934" and it says that

" A plea that youthful members should be encouraged and that members with engineering knowledge should impart it (their knowledge) to their less fortunate brethren, was made at the third annual meeting of the Wicksteed Model Yacht and Power boat Club....."

So that now takes us back to 1931. The park had it's beginings in 1913 and I have a picture of skating on the frozen main lake in 1922 so it's not beyond the realms of posibility that model boats/ yachts were sailed from around that time but to date I have no hard evidence of this or a club being formed that far back.

Paul.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:15:32 pm »

tynemouth model boat club was established in 1893 by the then duke of northumberland and still going strong today with a 100 members

an artical appeared in the north shields local paper  THE SHIELDS DAILY GAZETTE on the 30th may1893 with the duke present on its opening day

brian_c   t.m.b.c.

springersrus

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:31:51 pm »

The Grays Thurrock club was founded in 1906 and is one of the oldest in the country ,for many years its activities were based at various locations in Grays Thurrock & Tilbury , it now has 60 members and is still going strong.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:57:16 am »

The first A.G.M. of the Llandudno Model Yacht Club was held in 1888 and was reported upon in that week's local newspaper ( North Wales Chronicle 17/3/1888 ).

The Club was combined into other clubs in the 1970's and tonight is the first meeting of a re-born Llandudno Model Yacht Club.

So not the longest continuously active club, but certainly one of the earliest.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:38 am »

Hi all and Chuffy, I love the thought that non-engineering types were 'less fortunate brethren'!

Our club was officially formed in 1947 but many of the members had been "playing" together before WW2.
We do have a member who has been an active  continuous committee member for over 50 years, he is currently in charge of boiler testing.

I do not think many people are aware of how popular sailing  model yachts was at the turn of the 1900's with many model yachting ponds and if you read some of the literature there were 'yacht captains who had a 'man' who sailed his yacht in competition while he picked up the trophy!
So much for the good old days!
regards Roy

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:05:52 am »

Many thanks for the responses to date.

It would seem that there is a lot of heritage out there, just from the feedback to date and heritage that the present day members should be proud of. Could we perhaps open up the topic and ask if those members who have posted here are fortunate enough to have archived records and if so could they be made available  to us all, perhaps via their club websites if they have one, just a thought.

I have put a selection of the Wicksteed material on our site www.wicksteedparkmbc.com in the club history section and will post the rest on as time allows.

Paul.

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:30:21 am »

Hello Roy

I was typing as you posted, it is clear from some of the reports that there were, at times  a them and us attitude around in the early days of the hobby, could it be that this was just a reflection of the attitudes and ways of the time/ era?

Some of the pictures show dozens of spectators around the lake men and boys, in the summer all wearing shirts, ties, pullovers and jacket and the men all seem to be smoking pipes! Truly another world. It would seem that the vast majority appeared to be paying homage to the small minority who were able to afford to own and run by todays standard very expensive power boats that would seem to be almost entirely hand made, including the engines.

I pass no judgement on the way of life at the time and reflect perhaps on what camp I would have fallen into had I been around at the time and when you look at the pictures you can't help but wonder how two world wars affected the lives of many of those portrayed.

The important thing is that our hobby has survived, and there are still plenty of people who still enjoy it, though I for one wish there were a few more.

Paul.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:55 am »

The first A.G.M. of the Llandudno Model Yacht Club was held in 1888 and was reported upon in that week's local newspaper ( North Wales Chronicle 17/3/1888 ).

I'd love to see some of the models that those guys brought down to the club for sailing that day............are there any photos around of that auspicious day....would love to see them.

neil.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:11:54 am »

A slightly oblique answer to the same question: the average age of our members is 68/69.
Don't Assume Check

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:35 am »

I'd love to see some of the models that those guys brought down to the club for sailing that day............are there any photos around of that auspicious day....would love to see them.

neil.

The "old Llandudno " website carries lots of photos of model yachts on the West Shore boating lake.

The eighth photo on page 1 of the West Shore Gallery shows the vast boating lake built in 1887 especially for Llandudno Model Yacht Club by the local Unemployed Relief Fund.............  http://www.oldllandudno.co.uk/gallery/gallery.php?dir=west%20shore

and even some of Llandudno lifeboat ...........  http://www.oldllandudno.co.uk/gallery/gallery.php?dir=lifeboats

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:16 am »

:o Wow you guys have some history , the Goole club was formed in 1997, but members have been sailing a few years longer wherever they could access the water.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:23 am »

The "old Llandudno " website carries lots of photos of model yachts on the West Shore boating lake.

The eighth photo on page 1 of the West Shore Gallery shows the vast boating lake built in 1887 especially for Llandudno Model Yacht Club by the local Unemployed Relief Fund.............  http://www.oldllandudno.co.uk/gallery/gallery.php?dir=west%20shore

and even some of Llandudno lifeboat ...........  http://www.oldllandudno.co.uk/gallery/gallery.php?dir=lifeboats

is that lake still in existence as it was then...........looks a lovely lake to sail on.

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:38:25 am »

yes it is Neil and used a lot by myself and members of Colwyn Bay model Boat club as well

Dave

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 10:53:47 am »

is that lake still in existence as it was then...........looks a lovely lake to sail on.

Still exactly as shown on the photos, 138metres long, 30metres wide and kept filled by a fresh water stream running off the adjacent Great Orme.

In it's time it was one of the main model yacht racing venues in the U.K. and we are trying to get regular competitions back on the lake.

Last month, the MYA ran one leg of the USA/UK International Challenge on the lake with boats from as far away as San Diego racing there.

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:57:17 am »

I really wish events like that were PROPERLY advertised

Dave

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:45 am »

I really wish events like that were PROPERLY advertised

Dave

There was no funding available for paid advertisements and a Press Release was sent to all the local newspapers, BBC Wales and local radio and only one paper had an article about the event.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »

There was no funding available for paid advertisements and a Press Release was sent to all the local newspapers, BBC Wales and local radio and only one paper had an article about the event.

Advertising events like these is free on Mayhem :-))

Ned.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

were a much younger club than most shown on this page , we officially formed THE PORTSMOUTH MODEL YACHT RACING CLUB this april , although a group of us have been sailing together on a regular basis for a couple of years , we sail mostly micro magics although a few of us are also buying the new dragon force rg65s , although i understand from older members of our comunity theres been model sailing on the canoe lake since the 1800s

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:49 am »

Southend model Power Boat club (SMPBC) established 1948 65year this August.
Come to our fun day on 10 Aug-13 Sailing yacht Regatta.
Sunday 11 August-13 Scale event all welcome.

See our website http://www.smpbc.co.uk/
Destroyer42

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 01:48:55 pm »

An addition to Brian C s posting, is that Tynemouth club has  ran continuously since its inception. It did not close down during the war years like so many other organisations.  Nemesis

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 01:54:59 pm »

And before any wisecracks, Brian C and Nemesis were NOT at the founding of the TMBC. I know we are getting on a bit, but not that old,YET.  Nemesis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.