Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How old's your club.  (Read 7020 times)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: How old's your club.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 02:47:35 pm »

:-)) Don't worry about it my son say's that I am so old that my birth certificate is written in hieroglyphics,some times I feel so old that I should be in the British Museum myself,some times clubs die out and come back again,some are born and some go on for ever, as long as we have our clubs I don't think it matters,long live model boating in all it's forms and the great guy's that take part in it :-)) :-)) :-))
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »

Further to the postings from Brian_c and Nemesis re. Tynemouth MBC, I thought that a selection of really old photos may be of some interest.
I'll post them in batches of 4.

From the dress of the onlookers I'd suggest that they were taken around 1900 (ish). The lake itself hasn't changed much at all. It still has the sloping stone edges, and we still use the original 1893 clubhouse (although it has had a couple of annexes added over the years.
Model boating was obviously a major spectator attraction....although the participants, then as now all seem to be "of an age".

Notes from a simple seaman

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 09:54:04 pm »

Brian, your images are not showing.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:08 am »

Brian, your images are not showing.

ken
Thanks kenny....I'd sort of noticed that!.
All a bit mortifying really. They are all around the 160kb mark and are all in JPG format.
I tried re-posting them but they just weren't accepted and I was presented with a rather odd screen showing different sites for model boating. All very strange.
I wouldn't care so much except that some of them were posted by me a few years ago quite successfully. All ideas welcome! Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »

Having "re-processed the photosI'll have another go...with just one of them and see what happens!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »

Can see that one ok Bryan.
Can you imagine that sort of crowd gathering today
just to see a few yachts blown about the lake?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stavros

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »

And it looks like a collision on the lake as well

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 02:10:21 pm »

One Airborne Top Right  {-) {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 05:39:14 pm »

Well, as that one worked....try 3 more.
These all date (I guess) from either the late 19th or very early 20th century.
I've done all I can to improve a rather blurred pic, but you can see that it wasn't all about sailing yachts. But at this time, it does appear to have been a rich mans hobby.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 09:59:44 pm »

Well worth the wait.

Thank you Brian

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

This batch shows some of the people who made models so long ago. I presume they are all different people…although there’s a certain similarity between them and their rather large models. I love the indoor formality of No.4! I’d also hazard a guess that No.24 was taken some while after the others. 1930s – 1940s?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »

hello Bryan these are great pictures do you have more?
I think the mention of clothing and formality is answered by the likelyhood that most working men had a suit perhaps for work and they would have a sport jacket to wear with the suit trousers for the weekend.
Shirts had detachable collars so you wore the same shirt for a week.
You can't kill talent though, perhaps the boats were funded by the fellows in the top hats?
Then of course you wonder what happened to the models boats?
Carry on if possible I love these close up pictures  and they are very good pictures too.
regards Roy

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 04:22:55 pm »

Thanks Roy.
Not too sure about your take on the attire though. This was a “heavy industry” area until relatively recently. It’s more than likely that the one suit would last for years. Only worn on Sundays (church or chapel). Then relegated to allotment gardening and finally as work clothes. After the first relegation the stiff collar would be discarded.
Even in the mid 1950s we (as cadets) had to wear those blasted collars…but at the time we (or most of us) felt that wearing such a thing put us one rung up the social ladder! Ours were made from a sort of plastic that played havoc with the neck skin.
Like you, I’m constantly amazed by the sheer quality of the models that were produced, but in all likelihood reflected an intimate knowledge of shipbuilding and repair work. Especially in areas such as the Tyne and Wear ….and others, of course.
    However; this next batch of 7 will be the last I’m afraid. The very few not being posted have resisted all my efforts to tweak them up to a reasonable standard….even some of the ones I have posted took an age to do…..computers can be a boon now and again!
    The first 2 (10 and 7) have to be from the WW1 era. Possibly a reason why models of that time seem to have all been built by men of a “certain age”.
No’s 11 and 13 are (to my way of thinking) from the late 1940s/early 1950s period.No’s 12, 21 and 22 just have to be from the 1950s. I say that because I could well have been one of the schoolboys in any of them. I particularly like no.22. It recalls my envy when somebody with a “rich” father had a size 10 Meccano set while all we could afford was a no.5!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:52 pm »

hi just reading back through some old threads, cos I been away for a bit, to try and catch up.  I noticed this thread regarding the age of clubs, South Shields Model yacht club was established in 1886 and is still going stong but the Tynemouth Club members say that it was closed during the war so therefore it doesnt count.  Well, I know the club was completely demolished due to enemy action and I will copy a link (page which is interesting reading of how it was demolished.  The reason the two clubs were formed was that the Tyne pilots on the river used to meet and race their yachts along with other gents and there were fierce competitions of yacht racing between the classes.

Miss Flagg's is a more comprehensive report of the above raid on South Shields, but there are minor differences.
South Shields.. This night will be long remembered in South Shields. 130 enemy aircraft were engaged in an action on the coast from Hull to Berwick. Bombers& minelayers came over in waves and were met with intense AA fire.At 00.25.. a Heinkel 111, was hit by gunfire& collided with a Barrage Balloon cable on the North Foreshore. Part of one wing was broken off and fell on the shore. The plane lost height very quickly and crashed in Beach Rd., exactly on the crater made in 1940. One member of the crew bailed out but his parachute caught on the overhead wires and he hung downwards until rescued. He was badly injured and died shortly after admission to the Ingham Infirmary. The remainder of the crew perished with their plane on impact with the ground.
At 00.50.. a mine, which had not been released from the bomb rack of the plane, exploded with terrific force. Some idea of the explosion may be gathered from the facts that it was seen and heard from beyond Newcastle and many windows were broken as far away as Tynemouth, North Shields, Westoe and Laygate.
The Model Yacht House in the South Park and a small building were completely wrecked; and parts of the plane, maps, papers and clothing were subsequently collected from the South Park and dredged from the Lake.
Unhappily the explosion had tragic results; one officer of the Borough Police Force& one Auxiliary Fireman were killed; two other members of the AFS died in hospital. Seventeen more members of the Police Force, Fire Brigade and Auxiliary Fire Service were injured, some very gravely, and were admitted to the Ingham Infirmary.
Other enemy aircraft, apparently taking the flames as target, dropped bombs on Brodrick Street, where an elderly couple lost their lives and several houses were demolished; on the junction of Lawe Road and St Aidan's Road, damage was caused to a number of houses; "Sea Marge"& "Tyne View" being completely wrecked; and to St Aidan's church. During the same raid six Parachute mines descended on the South Sands near Trow Rocks, and on some fields near the New Marsden Inn, but caused no damage or casualties.
Bombs and Casualties: HE bombs fell as follows:- 00.36, 1 on Brodrick Street, 3 killed, 2 injured / 00.55, 1 on St Aidan's Road, 5 injured / 01.05, 1 near Redwell Lane, no casualties / 02.30, 1 on South Sands, no casualties / 03.13, 1 on South Sands, no casualties / plane explosion, 4 killed, 17 injured / TOTAL 5 bombs, 7 killed, 24 injured. Many houses severely damaged and widespread breakage of windows
aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 08:26:30 pm »

Our records  say our club  started in  1933  ( Canterbury Society of Model and Eperimental Engineers ) which includes a model boat section . We also have a large exhibition coming up in 2014 called CanMod with visitors coming from arround the world with their locos .
http://csmee.org.nz/
Malcolm   NZ

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »

Pentland Model Boat Club is 20 years old this year and is the most northerly club on mainland Britain

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:10 am »

It's good to view those old model photo's,  thank you....
Brian  B

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »

My local club swindon model boat and engineering club were started in 1931 my family starting from my grandfather joined in the early 1960s then my dad joined the hobby when he was 13 and there's pictures of me using rc boats from the age of 2 started building when I was 14 and I have been hooked ever since
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.