Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about model slipways AZIZ Tug  (Read 3789 times)

Darksheer

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Questions about model slipways AZIZ Tug
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:47:20 pm »

Finally decided on the AZIZ for my retirement gift to myself and had a few questions about the kit if anyone has time to answer them it would be appreciated as most of the build logs here are 4-6 years old

1: alot of mention has been made about the problems installing the kort nozzles  is this still a issue ?

2: has the kit changed or been updated that anyone is aware of

3: i have never worked with a fibreglass hull before is there anything I should not do when working with that stuff

4: a member of the forums named wombat made a instruction manual for the model but i havent been able to get in touch with him.... does anyone know if he is still active

5:  6 or 12 volts is there a difference ?

thanks in advance

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Questions about model slipways AZIZ Tug
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:38:00 pm »

Hello Darksheer and welcome to the forum.

Your worries are unfounded as the Aziz is a popular boat to build and to sail. The manufacturers are still around and on this forum. Modelslipway have produced this fine craft and even I have built it with no construction problems whatsoever.

Wombat is still around but doesn't do build logs at the moment. We have several references to the Aziz on site so have a look around and enjoy yourself.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »

ERRR Ken how about posting a link to YOUR BUILD ..................or have you forgotten you built one .....seeing you are a prolific builder  O0 O0 O0

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:48:29 pm »

Thank you Dave.  Modesty prevails.

Ps ... got a paint question for you in the paint section. (let me type it first  %) )

Ken

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:21 pm »

http://tugazzizcaernarfon.blogspot.com/

The above may give you some assistance. A good model to build.
Jerry.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:58 pm »

1: alot of mention has been made about the problems installing the kort nozzles  is this still a issue ?

2: has the kit changed or been updated that anyone is aware of

3: i have never worked with a fibreglass hull before is there anything I should not do when working with that stuff

5:  6 or 12 volts is there a difference ?

I am currently building this kit, though it's actually turned into a kitbash to look rather different.
However ...

1 & 2. The korts used to be 2-part whitemetal castings which would have been fiddly. The more recent ones have a one piece glassfibre (or something like) moulding which needs very little work. It's a bit fiddly getting shafts, A-frames and nozzles all lined up, but it just needs a little care and patience.

3. The Model Slipway instructions are fairly good - just read carefully and use the glues recommended. The only problem I had was that the propshaft/rudder spacing in the instructions was a bit less than the markings moulded into the hull (about 5mm IIRC - 2.5 each side). I went with the hull markings, but with hindsight the instructions version might be better as my rudder posts and the operating arms were a bit close to the deck beams.

5. Yes, 50%, or 100%. Seriously, I really don't know if there is a right choice for this model. I have 12V from an SLA into geared motors but with what I've seen lately if I was starting fresh on the power I'd be maybe trying 7.2V NiMH into low kV brushless with direct drive. But I'm a bit of an experimenter  %)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 06:29:54 am »

Welcome to the forum Darksheer. I think you will find any kit from Model Slipway is a good kit, add to that the kit owners are right there to help you anytime you need them. Finally you will get a lot of help if needed from our members on the forum, so enjoy & welcome aboard. Mick B. 
Mick B.

inertia

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:59:35 am »

3. The Model Slipway instructions are fairly good

"Fairly good?"
"Fairly good????!!!!"
"Fairly good???!!!!!!!"

Cheeky monkey!
Don't forget that the bloke who wrote/drew them (aka me...) had built one more Aziz than you had. IMHO the 6:1 MFA geared motors need more than 12v to get any decent revs from them. I'd fit the 2.5:1 versions and run them from 9.6V NiMH packs. Avoid brushless motors for a workboat - low-speed control is still not as good as with brushed motors.

Whether or not Wombat could be said to be active is a moot point. He's spent the last year putting up a super wooden hobby shed in his garden and latterly fitting out the kitchen in the main house (all home-made units, made in aforementioned super-shed). His Tamar remains three-quarters finished.

DM (Damned with faint praise)

Darksheer

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:35 pm »

thanks everyone for the advice and info

I will be getting the aziz and will go 12 volt as the company offers motors for the kit ill get those as well I plan on lighting and sound/smoke and will probably paint it as something  in military service as is usually my thing with ships

TugKenny I searched the forums and wasnt able to find your build log I did find a informative one about the rear deck and how to correct the water issues
any chance of a direct link as i think i missed it or searched wrong

Irishcarguy I used to sail my models at bowness park i think it was called back in the 90's before the base closed i had the 2 small lindburg tugs redone as armed coastal tugs and the small torpedo boat were you part of that crew ???

lastly does anyone know roughly what scale this model is close too ??

Welcome to the forum Darksheer. I think you will find any kit from Model Slipway is a good kit, add to that the kit owners are right there to help you anytime you need them. Finally you will get a lot of help if needed from our members on the forum, so enjoy & welcome aboard. Mick B.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:14 pm »

TugKenny I searched the forums and wasnt able to find your build log I did find a informative one about the rear deck and how to correct the water issues
any chance of a direct link as i think i missed it or searched wrong

Hi Darksheer.

The original build blog is too far back for our records now, although when the name was changed to Red Pelican there are references to it on the search engine.

I did make a YouTube film of the build if you're interested and it's here ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKeFe_FxrQ

We had a little problem on the lake which has never ceased to be a talking point.   %)

Enjoy

Ken

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:37 pm »

1:50 Scale

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 09:51:34 pm »

Was it YOURS Ken that SANK

Dave.................now hiding under a rather LARGE stone  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 09:56:03 pm »

<*<

ken

like you really.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 12:00:43 am »

Hi Darksheer, Bowness park & the lake is still there. I have heard that there are people that sail there from time to time but have never seen anybody there. I hear they run speed boats on Glenmore but the same story never seen them either. Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.