Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: draughting film  (Read 2663 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
draughting film
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

I regularily read the current topic list at the bottom of the main page and sometimes notice that there is a request for sails film, refered to as draughting film, well while looking in the loft for crystals in the multitude of boxes etc, I noticed I had 3 rolls of draughting cloth (blue).

Has anybody any idea if this is used for sails, in the back of my mind from my draughting days, they said it turns into just cloth if it gets wet as the wax coating gets 'washed' off, well I cut a corner off the roll and tried it and yes it turns into just cloth - sort of, the ends get frayed and the sheen goes, not sure if it is suitable for sails though.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: draughting film
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »

there is drafting linen and drafting film, the linen is the coated stuff you have, whereas the film comes in a variety of thicknesses of a polyester film, usually with matt surfaces both sides (for writing on) this stuff and the linen you would tend to use a drafting talcum powder to roughen up the surface to allow the ink to stick properly to the drawing, I know I have a roll somewhere in my attic, but its buried behind all the wifes junk (along with a lot of my tools).
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:36 pm »

then of course there is tracing paper which is useless in this application as it tears.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:37:53 am »

Blue draughting linen, is high quality linen which has a starch coating. Cut off a yard or two, throw it into the washing machine, your left with a linen sheet. Started my draughting career drawing on this stuff.
Ok for scale type sails, but not for racing types. Draughting film (polyester if memory serves) matt finish either one side or both, makes for stiff sails for modern racing yachts. Comes in different thicknesses to.
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:40:36 am »

I have used this - a bit expensive but it is great.
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=470
Only downside is that it creases if you are not careful.

You also need this Mylar tape for the edges http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=536

And I use this for the joins
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=537

Amateur at work...

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:25:32 am »

so in conclusion the stuffs ok for sails, just not for racing yachts etc  :-))
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.