Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K class help  (Read 2258 times)

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
K class help
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »

Hi all, I could do with a little help here, A while back I bought the boat off good old ebay, part started and pretty sure it's scratch built, it's around 52'' long and all wood. But to be honest a pretty poor build if I'm honest.

The guy had drilled the hull for the prop shaft and rudder but they are no where near in line, I would say a good 1/4 inch out if not more, and the prop shaft is at an angle, when you fix the motor to the shaft it sits at an angle in the hull.

Anyway I was going to dump the thing but my son wants to try and get it on the water so I'm wondering if he files out the hole so it's way to large but gets everything in line then uses loads of epoxy on the tube, then fibreglass over the gap at both ends, and finish off with car body filler do you think it will work? If not any other Ideas?

I do like the idea of my young-en taking an interest and it can never be a bad thing getting youngsters in to the hobby can it.

So what do you guys think? 

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: K class help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »

Most things are fixable
If you stick up a picture we can get a better idea
And help more :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »

Roughen the wall of the holes and wipe with alchohol to remove grease and dust ten fill the holes with Plastic padding and sand the area so that you can start with a clean and sound slate.

Mark the positions of the prop shaft and rudder post correctly and drill pilot holes followed by incrementally larger drills until you reach the desired hole diamater.

I have done this sort of thing on work in white styrene where the bonding action of plastic weld does improve the bond between the plastic rod and it's surrounding plastic but that is why I suggest you make sure the holes are roughened and clean. Go careful and your son should have a successful entry into an interesting hobby:O)

I applaud you for starting your collection in WW1, splendid:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:24 am »

Thanks guys, well I got him to fit the motor in the centre of the hull so he knew where the prop shaft should be entering the inside and then drilled out the hull bigger so it lined up with the rudder.

Bought a new tube of epoxy, which I think he used near on the whole tube to stick the prop shaft tube back in in-line and left it all Sunday to go off, I don't think that tube is coming back out any time soon  {-)

Yesterday I showed him how to fibreglass, and left him to it, when I got home he had done it along the whole length and around the tube inside and out.
He's now out in the garden with the sander, as I type this, taking all the high spots off ready for the filler.

Once he has the filler on I will get him to take a pic to put on here.
Ian

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:46 am »

I applaud you for starting your collection in WW1, splendid:O)

It's a bit embarrassing but he knows more about WW1 than I do, we have been watching a lot of the programs on tv and it's like having my very own history teacher in the room  {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:16 pm »

I think I might have bid on the hull and am pleased that it has become an active project for an intellectual youngster rather than another cupboard cohort. I think we can all admit to having one or two purchases from Ebay that have yet to see the water, wargames table, diorama base!!

Lets see your son's progress, I am intrigued:O)

What scale is it? I assume 1:48th given the hull length. Did it come with weapons? I do not recall the details.
Pond weed is your enemy

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:14 am »

52" long is about 1:96
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.