Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi everybody  (Read 1384 times)

Captain black

• Shipmate
  • Blackjack 29
Hi everybody
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:49:06 pm »

Hello, I am new here and to boats, I have been flying quads for a couple of years. My cousin and I have now bought a couple of boats for the local lake. My cousin has a Miss Geico 17 and I went mad and got a Blackjack 29. We will be taking them to the lake in the next few days for our first outing. But before we do I thought I would join this forum to see if anybody had any tips or info on prepping them before we put them on the water or should we just go ahead. We have purchased some Sellotape crystal clear for sealing the hatch but do we need to do anything else? Thanks in advance for any shared info.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hi everybody
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 03:32:38 am »

You should already have a good stock of batteries and a good charger from your Quadcopters.
Make sure everything in the drive train is secured and lubricated.
Propeller nut on tight but not binding the drive train.
stuff some 'bubble wrap' into voids of the boat for flotation.
Glue some foam / flotation to the hatch in case it blows off.
If the radio has the facility, dial in 'Dual rates' for the rudder. ( You need very little rudder at high speeds!)
Run only in a place where you can get the boat back if anything goes wrong, ie. not a river or lake where you can't get to one side!
Don't be too conservative or too aggressive on your first run, try a few seconds at full speed but only in a straight line.

Just a few thoughts and hard learned lessons....
Oh, and Welcome to the Mayhem!

Martin  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hi everybody
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:21:34 am »

Don't be too conservative or too aggressive on your first run, try a few seconds at full speed but only in a straight line.Martin  :-)
Hi Cb,

The point with fast electrics is that you can't potter around with them too much; the ESC and motor will heat up, as the stock electronics don't have sufficient headroom to cope with the huge amount of switching, running at anything but full throttle, and switching causes heat in the Fets of the ESC.

Keep in mind to run at least 80% of the runtime at full throttle and you'll be fine, heatwise.
The 20% left are for cornering tighly not at full throttle...

When dialed in properly your boats won't tend to backflip easily, but if you're running into the wind, or catch a freak wave, the boats will flip from time to time.
Take a fishing rod with a tennisball on the line with you, very convenient to retreive a flipped boat without having to swim, of get/inflate a rescue boat.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.