Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Hntsman or Sea Commander ?  (Read 2600 times)

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Fairey Hntsman or Sea Commander ?
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:20 am »

Hi all, I have rewired the electrics and slightly modified a Seaport Workboat and am almost finnished the retoration of a decrepit Bugsier 3.
Now I would like to try my hand at a full build, the Precedent Fairey Huntsman first caught my eye as it has a fiberglass hull, then I spotted the Aero Kits Sea Commander which seems to represent much better value as it comes with motor propshaft ect'. the only problem is the wooden hull of the Sea Commander, it looks pretty complicated to me having looked at builds on Mayhem, can anyone advise me on how easy or hard this kit would be for me and if I would be better just going for ready built hull of the Huntsman.  Thanks in advance for all replies.   Ian.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairey Hntsman or Sea Commander ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:11:21 am »

The Aeronaut kits are far better quality than the Huntsman range and ideal as a starter build. Although the Precedent kits offer a fibre glass hull option they are far more challenging. Here is a  link to an Aeronaut build to show what's involved.    :-)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42219.msg425719;topicseen#msg425719

inertia

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:05:43 pm »

That's AeroKITS Sea Commander - not AeroNAUT Queen. The Huntsman formers are die-cut with tools which are about as old as I am so you would find fitting them into the hull quite a challenge. The Sea Commander is made from laser-cut ply parts and poor fit is not something you need worry about. That said, the Huntsman is a much better-looking boat (to my very biased eyes anyway).
Suit yourself.
Dave M

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:34 pm »

Nearly all the re-make Vintage boat kits are no more difficult than a 3d jigsaw.  Pre cut parts (laser or cnc) allow the structure to go together quite easily and depending on the type of adhesive you could be ready to skin it in a week of evenings.  I recently built a Wavemaster 25, a vintage design but laser cut. I found the most challenging part was fitting and shaping the ply hull skins but with care and fore thought they went on nicely.  If you've never built a hull from scratch, a laser cut or cnc cut hull takes a lot of the worry out of it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »

Seacommander was the first boat I got involved with as a teenager,

Very nice seaworthy boats, You wont go wrong with one of those, following the thread, Seacommander, Swordsman, and wavemaster are all great boats and which ever you choose will give a good return.

My advice would be go for a set up that gives you some flexability in sailing, a bit of slow running and a bit of faster running, as all of these boats run well at a higher speed and are quite fun, then you can run a bit slower if required 

Best of luck

Mark

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:55:23 pm »

I have recently purchased a prescedent  Huntsman kit, with glass fibre hull.
My advise, go Sea Commander !

the wooden cut parts in the huntsman are WAY out of true, there is hardy a straight line cut on any piece as the old original dies are so badly worn and damaged by the looks of the wooden sheets.

its taking me longer to use the original parts supplied to cut NEW ones, as its as long to try and square up the original ones supplied.

The glass fibre hull is nothing to write home about, the deck top edge is not cut level either and will have to fill in once the deck is boned to it to hide the gaps.

Its a nice looking boat, that's why I wanted one, but its a lot of hard work to put a life time of damaged dies to correct the wooden pieces as cut by the supplier.
And yes, the supplier don't want to know..............
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »

:-)) The sea commander every time far better kit,I have built the Huntsman and it took ages to get it right hours of filing and sanding to make parts fit although finished still not happy with it might take it apart and have another go,Ray. :-)) :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »

the wooden cut parts in the huntsman are WAY out of true, there is hardy a straight line cut on any piece as the old original dies are so badly worn and damaged by the looks of the wooden sheets.

Hunstman 31
The wooden cut parts in my kit were rubbish brittle and poor quality ply.
I used them as templates, but measure the parts against the hull or deck,etc,
as I had to lengthen some of the parts before cutting to get a good fit,
But she does build into a very nice boat.
I used the fiberglass hull fitted with a single shaft and brushless motor.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.