Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: University Club yacht  (Read 3309 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
University Club yacht
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:40:13 pm »

Hi All, acquired two 'non working' University Club yachts yesterday, with the plan to try get one working yacht out of the two - Well after some fiddling on the one yacht, I have managed to get the sail servo working (it was returned to store as the sails would not work, must have just been a loose connection) - The other yacht was half full of water, returned to store as the mast was bent (surely they saw this when they bought it!!) - Must have been sailed to get water in! Anyway my question is - the water is obviously getting in through the joint of the deck onto the hull, any thoughts on how best to seal this? I thought of running a thin bead of silicone around the top of the hull then fixing on the deck??.

Thanks Wayne

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: University Club yacht
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »

I found a video I believe was produced by the boat's manufacturer. These little boats are "cute" but don't sail as one would hope. Having said that, many of use 2 part epoxy and CA to bond and repair. Silicone may work for you if you can get it to stick to the hull.

I would suggest not spending much money on either of these boats. It's good you have two - one can be a source of parts if needed. Wondering if the electronics in the one that had water in it are still functional? Not trying to put your new boats down just suggest these are more pool toys than "RC Yachts."

In the video it appears the boat could benefit from more ballast in the keel. It appears to spend quite a bit of time on it's side in what appears to be very little wind.

Hope you have fun regardless!

Boomer

check out these links - might be of interest to you
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697107
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357010&highlight=univers+club&page=5

video on your new boats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5MJw1z90M

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:44 pm »

Thanks for that boomer, I realize its a bit toyish but was relatively cheap for the two and I acquired them as something to practice / learn sailing with as I have not done sailing before and I am currently building / rebuilding two yachts -

Will look through the links

Wayne

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:47:15 am »

@goBulawayo:

You will find these very small yachts really hard to sail - if you eventually give up on them, try sailing something 900mm- 1 metre and you will find they are infinitely easier to sail.

I have a 500mm Discovery, similar part of the market to your University Club, it is almost impossible to sail in its original form in anything but VERY light conditions. I also have 800mm, 900mm and 1 metre boats - much easier.

I hear tell that small planes are harder to fly than larger ones, think this is similar....
Amateur at work...

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:54:23 am »

wayne i though you were restoring an old krispie r36 ? which will sail much better than a  university club yacht , weve an older lady who comes to sail with us on a wednesday evening with a club yacht , which unfortunatly has a shortish range and wont stand much wind

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »

I believe the company that made the University Club made another larger boat that looked like it might be worthy of consideration. The Hobby Engine "Life-at-the-extreme-volvo-open-70-class-yacht", sadly it also ended up being difficult to sail. Made a very nice display model for those folks that purchased one.

At some point a company that produces RC sailboats, might consider taking one out to a local pond to see if their creation actually worked. Novel idea I know, but couldn't hurt right :-))

You have the right idea, and you will learn as you work on these boats and really at very little expense. RC sailing is a great  past time. As you move forward you might consider investing in a kit boat for your next project. There are a number of companies producing kits that yield wonderful boats that look and sail well, last for years and at a reasonable price.

Here is a link to a list of some companies that make rc sailboat kits Post 91 has pretty current information. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767639

This forum has some really talented scratch builders and at some point I'd like to do a scratch build project but for now
I am enjoying building kits. Enjoy!

Posted a couple of pictures - one of your model and the other is the same manufacturer's attempt at scale rc yacht.
Looks nice - just didn't sail very well. Oh well..............
Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »

Just found one more Hobby Engine boat on E-bay. It is called "Noble"  20.7" L x 4.7"W x 33.7" H - Interesting name choice.
Boomer

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:01:17 pm »

wayne i though you were restoring an old krispie r36 ? which will sail much better than a  university club yacht , weve an older lady who comes to sail with us on a wednesday evening with a club yacht , which unfortunatly has a shortish range and wont stand much wind

Hi Triumphjon, yes I am restoring the krispie but I am so slow it will be next year before I finish her (lack of confidence in what I am doing i reckon) I thought it would be good to buy the Club as something to learn on in the mean time, begining to think my £40 was a bit wasted - I have one yacht running and hope to get the other one going as well and can sell it and get a few pennies back.

I see some chaps in the US have lengthened the keel which as helped plus strengthened the mast with an aluminium insert, I may well do the same

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:03:14 pm »

Hi Boomer, thanks very much for your time, it is much appreciated. You may recall I am restoring a 36R yacht and scratchbuilding on stand off scale one too - I wanted something to learn sailing on and probably was a bit silly buying these two University Clubs, but well I can only learn from my mistakes!! It will be good practice anyway (I hope) - and I will learn to consider future 'good deals' carefully.

Wayne

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 06:14:08 pm »

Is that the same as the Lidl  14.99 offering a
couple of years ago?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:54:34 pm »

Hi Boomer, thanks very much for your time, it is much appreciated. You may recall I am restoring a 36R yacht and scratch building on stand off scale one too - I wanted something to learn sailing on and probably was a bit silly buying these two University Clubs, but well I can only learn from my mistakes!! It will be good practice anyway (I hope) - and I will learn to consider future 'good deals' carefully.

Wayne

Sorry. Slipped my mind. Age thing <:( I think, can't remember. Like to see some photos when time permits. The University Club at least in pictures appears to have a nice finish on it. Guess that's how they get folks to buy them. Might be fun in a pool - there are still kits made that are "free sailboats" - some are pretty large and require a team to operate. I have seen a few Youtube videos of guys sailing them.  Very interesting - not a hobby for old guys! Got to be able run around the pond to catch the darn things before they can ram into the side of the pond. Fun to watch for sure.

Let us know how things progress.
Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:53 am »

Is that the same as the Lidl  14.99 offering a
couple of years ago?

Ned
I think you are right. Although I thought they were 11.95.

As suggested, something a bit bigger that actually sails well would be easier to learn with.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:27 am »

am i right in thinking the one the lady is sailing with us on wednesdays isnt using a proportional radio set ? her rudder seems to be an all or nothing type system  , my own first yacht was a well used kyosho seawind , ( hull now sadly scrapped , mast and sails now fitted to an old mrp aussie 2 )  ive now got 6 working yachts , the smallest being a micro magic , which is great fun to sail
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.9 seconds with 22 queries.