Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Part built parat  (Read 6714 times)

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer
Part built parat
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:41:42 am »

After finding myself at a loss of something to do , whilst waiting for bits to arrive to complete my osprey . I dug out the Parat tug that i started  building before the osprey but put it to one side as i didnt have advanced enough radio equipment to make full use of it . Took the missus and kids  into leeds on friday and managed to sneak away long enough to order some new radio gear , cant wait till it arrives .
I previously had the hull built and painted . The VS drive units installed and made a start on the wheelhouse roof .
Over the weekend i managed to clean it up a bit . Put the super structure together and give it a lick of paint . Fit the fire monitors on the wheelhouse roof and the mechanism that makes them rotate .
This afternoon i got to do my favourite bit , the handrails . These are only loosely assembled , they will be finally fixed after they are painted .
Having a well deserved cuppa now  :-)

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Part built parat
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44:10 am »

I going to have to remake that rear duckboard , I must have been drunk when i made that .

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:42:33 pm »

This thing goes together pretty quickly . Got some bits and pieces painted . Made a start on the mast / funnel . Removed the rear bollard to make it a bit more substantial , in case i decide to do some towing with it .

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:20 pm »

Looking good CJ  :-))

...and coming together quickly, as you say.  O0

Regards,

Ray.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:11:09 am »

Nice :-))  I've always loved the look of this particular tug. good job
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:57 am »

A lovely looking tug & built up so fast, nice work & a good sense of humour too, thanks, Mick B.
Mick B.

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:51:42 pm »

Got a phone call from the model shop today . My radio set is here . So after making some flimsy excuse to the warder ( wife )  about seeing a  man about a boat . I rapidly made my way over the hills to leeds . I have wanted this radio set for a while now and its been a bit of a pain to track one down , but i got one now and its all mine lol .

Now all i have to do is wade though the biggest manual i have ever seen for an RC product . i was pretty shocked when i saw the manual but not as shocked as i was when i discovered it wasnt a multi - language manual its all in english .

So big pot of cocoa , lots of reading to do

oh yeah the set is a graupner mx-20 12ch .

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:35:30 am »

CJCJ what does it feel like to be that wealthy, congratulation's & I hope you have a lot of fun with it, it looks like a nice bit of kit. Mick B.
Mick B.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:30:36 am »

Great build so far and very jealous of the TX! I've had my eye on one of thoseas well, but have been told I can't have one until I've finished all the models I've bought so far this year.
They know how to grab you by the curlies do these wimmin!

I may have to find a way to sneak one in, it may cost me a night out at the theatre, is it worth another sitting of Phantom or Les Miserables? (shudder)

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:52:11 am »

oh yeah the set is a graupner mx-20 12ch .

Have you come across the

• Voith-Schneider limiter, similar to a swashplate limiter
Should be handy to set up the Voiths in your PARAT

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:55:30 am »

@ ixion , yeah it is one of the reasons i went for that particular tranny . unfortunately it doesnt  come preloaded with the VS settings . Nautic programs are to be downloaded from graupner . Havn't really got that far through the manual yet . Still trying to filter out all the fixed wing and chopper jargon .

Gonna get the parat in the test tank (bath )  today hopefully and see if i can get it trimmed and set how i want it .   

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »

Gonna get the parat in the test tank (bath )  today hopefully and see if i can get it trimmed and set how i want it .

No good setting it up in the bath!

Important: any attempt at setting up the VSPs in the bathtub or any similar confined container will fail. Open water is required, otherwise water will flow between the propeller blades, the hull and the "bank", and cause confusing movements.

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 05:27:08 pm »

I'll second the remarks from ixion  :-))

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:50:16 pm »

The day didnt go exactly to plan today . Got the tx updated via the internet and managed to figure out how to set up the ring limiter . Which is the setting for the vsp's . Found a bigger tub to set up in ( nieghbours pond ) and sprung a leak after about 20 mins fiddling about . The gasket around the vsp had failed , so most of the day has been spent removing the vsp units and removing and replacing the gasket material . That done now and its sitting in the bath loaded up leak free , for now ..........

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:24:02 am »

Got the tx updated via the internet and managed to figure out how to set up the ring limiter . Which is the setting for the vsp's .

Does it explain how to do this in the manual or did you have to figure it out?

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:53:59 am »

To be honest it doesn't give instructions for the ring limiter in the instructions nor could i find it in the updated instructions . I ended up downloading a manual for one of the higher spec radio gear , which had the ring limiter as standard , for the info i needed . Its very much like a swashplate limiter , as it creates a dead zone around the farthest throw of the transmitter stick .. So i f you went from the top left had corner of your stick and did a full rotation of the stick the path travelled is in a square / rectanglular shape . whereas with the ring limiter this is translated into a circular movement or elliptical movement depending upon your settings .

I did try to pinch a cpl drawings from the pdf . but i couldnt figure out how .
Link to a manual http://www.graupner.de/mediaroot/files/33032_mc32_HoTT_EN.2.pdf    Info on ring limiter is on page 250

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 05:36:08 pm »

Link to a manual http://www.graupner.de/mediaroot/files/33032_mc32_HoTT_EN.2.pdf    Info on ring limiter is on page 250

Thanks for that link, very interesting.

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 01:54:03 am »

Got around to doing something about the rear duckboard that i disliked so much today . So after i had frisbee'd it in to the bin ,i had a thought about planking the stern section instead .
I know its probably not accurate or true to scale , but i think it looks a damn site better than the previous attempt .
I have loads of packs of basswood planking that a friend gave me . Im not never good with wood prefering plastic to work with . But i did my best , see what you think .

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 02:10:08 am »

Its looking good CJ, at least much better than I could do, keep plugging away, great thread to follow, Mick B.
Mick B.

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 06:45:28 am »

the set is a graupner mx-20 12ch .

What version of software was installed when you bought it (shows you when you switch on)?

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 03:31:55 pm »

I couldn't honestly say i think it was version 1.0 the new firmware i have installed is ver 1.150 .

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »

the new firmware i have installed is ver 1.150 .

Are you aware that Firmware has been recalled

"The following transmitter software versions contain a bug which can result in a fail-safe event in particular situations.

This applies to HoTT radio control systems with the following software:
MX-12 Version 1.740
MX-16 Version 1.740
MX-20 Version 1.150
MC-16 Version 1.020
MC-20 Version 1.040
MC-32 Version 1.060

Please be sure to load the following version of the software into your transmitter:
MX-12 Version 1.731
MX-16 Version 1.731
MX-20 Version 1.141
MC-16 Version 1.011
MC-20 Version 1.031
MC-32 Version 1.051

Please accept our apologies.

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:02 pm »

Yeah i am aware of it . Ill roll my tx back soon . That recall has only occured in the last few days . Bit of a pain , but no real issue . i hope .
Not noticed any problems in the last few days while i have been messing about with things .

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35:41 pm »

Hi cjcj121
   What club are you in?  If you would like to come and visit Balne moor mbc. it's possible we could help you
    get your tug up and running and also a little towing. We have a regatta on the 18th Aug you would be made
     welcome.

Regards

John

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 11:07:54 pm »

Hi john . Im not a member of any club . Truth be told i have never been able to spare the time due to work commitments . I spent most of my time working nights on call ( recovery ) . I am hoping
to be able to find more time now i am working for myself . I have 4 model boats and only 1 of them has got wet so far , that needs to change .
Thank you for the invite and i will try everything possible to come to your regatta on the 18th, although  i very much doubt i will have the parat finished by then  :-))

Im still waiting on a few bits and pieces turning up . The postie brought some parcels this morning but im really waiting on the sailwinch turning up so i can proceed with the mast .
The rc switch for the monitor pump and some of the bulbs for the lights have arrived so i can make a start on some of the wiring in the superstructure .

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.