Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch Built "Klimek" Tugboat.  (Read 14862 times)

wayne d

• Best Regards and Calm Seas.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Scratch Built "Klimek" Tugboat.
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 12:09:41 am »

maybe this will help.
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 12:16:29 am »

This is what I'm working off of.
Wayne

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 12:57:07 am »

Hi Wayne & Derek,
As you appear to be using balsa to plank with, I will offer the following based upon my experiances, also with balsa.
Ther timbers have their specific characteristics and are not as 'easy' to use as balsa.
What Derek is endeavouring to say I think, is when planking, full size boats, and our wee models, planking is widest at the centre frame and gets progressively narrower towards the bow and stern. The amount is usually marked on the frames, then transferred to the parallel plank.
Starting with the centre frame, or the frame at the widest and deepest point on the hull, the plank widths are marked as equal spaces between the keel and the gunwale. Then using this number of spacings each frame is marked into equal spacings. On the sketch I have used 8 planks, and as you can see the distance between each marking is less than those at the centre frame. With balsa we can then mark these widths along the plank, and trum so we end up with tapered planks, which can then be offered up and glued into place.
Sometimes we can get away with tapering only one side of the plank, (this because balsa can be very forgiving and allow the plank to bend in the wide direction, whereas other timbers will not).
I generally taper my balsa planks both sides of the plank, or as the plank dictates. You will soon find what works for your hull.
Using this method, you will not have to infill with tapered part planks to "fill the gaps", as you will soon find if you continue as you are doing.
Hope this is of some help
cheers
vnkiwi :-)
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 01:05:49 am »

Looks like its coming along well . I like the look of the ship , a " cute " tug .

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 01:23:34 am »

Thanks vnk.....I met with our Mayhem member Southsteyene2 [John] yesterday & he expounded on the very same method you have shown here  :-))
The trap I had previously fallen into  >>:-( when using paper plans was to use string to sit on or form the individual hull frame to calculate the actual profile length
I found the natural error of even 1 or 2 mm over say 200 mm in the frame profile length was enough to create unsightly gaps/distortions in the hull planking
To counter this  %) ......with my new hull I plan to use a 120 year old plan distance reading tool [my grandfathers] ....[just a small set of geared wheels in a hand held case] & carefully trace each 1/2 frame....then read the distance & convert this to a straight line  :} .....
I have trialled this & get repeatable length dimensions of say +/- 0.5 mm in 200 mm.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 01:40:31 am »

I'm almost beginning to understand what you guys are talking about. I come from the plane side of model building so a lot of the terms and parts are a little confusing to me.
Yes I am using balsa to plank the Tug because its easy to work with. Afterwards the hull will be glassed inside and out.
Wayne

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 01:51:18 am »

Thanks vnk.....I met with our Mayhem member Southsteyene2 [John] yesterday & he expounded on the very same method you have shown here  :-))
The trap I had previously fallen into  >>:-( when using paper plans was to use string to sit on or form the individual hull frame to calculate the actual profile length
I found the natural error of even 1 or 2 mm over say 200 mm in the frame profile length was enough to create unsightly gaps/distortions in the hull planking
To counter this  %) ......with my new hull I plan to use a 120 year old plan distance reading tool [my grandfathers] ....[just a small set of geared wheels in a hand held case] & carefully trace each 1/2 frame....then read the distance & convert this to a straight line  :} .....
I have trialled this & get repeatable length dimensions of say  /- 0.5 mm in 200 mm.....Derek

Derek,
 Digressing I have one of those from new, about 1976. Also Handy for use on maps when travelling O0 O0
How old is your Grandfather  %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 01:54:29 am »

Hi Derek,
Haven't seen one of those for years.
Every drawing office had at least one, back before computers.
Most useful devices.
cheers
vnkiwi

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 02:23:02 am »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......RAAArtyGunner asks ...."How old is your Grandfather?"....... stretching the grey cells here  %)
My Pa died when I was in 3rd year @ high school so that would have been 1963...I am sure he was 68 years old
So that would give his birth as 1895 ...he was the Shire Clerk in a little area known as Bulli.....just 20 km north of Wollongong
He was soooooooooooo good to his grand children  O0 .........however his wife forbid  <*< that he smoke tobacco...every Saturday afternoon we would walk over to South Bulli colliery paddock where the pit ponies ate & rested.... we would collect horse manure for his rose garden's........ Pa would always give me a puff of his Rolly  :-)) ...then he would hide the tobacco under the house before Nanna saw us....... {-) ...
I would go to school on Mondays & brag that I had a puff of a smoke on the weekend........I am a now a non smoker ............
When I quoted 120 years old ....it was just a guess.......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 02:41:34 am »

Hi Wayne,
Have to agree, Balsa is always my choice when planking is called for. Medium density preferred, as it is 'hard' enough and still bends easy. 'Hard' is ok, but sometimes requires "heat" bending, either with steam or direct (much care needed).
Also watch for checks in the grain, and where it came from in the log, bearing in mind that Balsa has radials, but very little in the way of rings.
I use a "flexible gell super-glue", quite expensive, but brilliant stuff, then seal the wood with usually epoxy, but the planked hull in the previous photo was sealed with painted on Polyurethane wood glue to achieve the surface I wanted, but not recommended. Epoxy's the way to go.
cheers
vnkiwi :-))

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 05:53:43 am »

Hi Wayne,
Have to agree, Balsa is always my choice when planking is called for. Medium density preferred, as it is 'hard' enough and still bends easy. 'Hard' is ok, but sometimes requires "heat" bending, either with steam or direct (much care needed).
Also watch for checks in the grain, and where it came from in the log, bearing in mind that Balsa has radials, but very little in the way of rings.
I use a "flexible gell super-glue", quite expensive, but brilliant stuff, then seal the wood with usually epoxy, but the planked hull in the previous photo was sealed with painted on Polyurethane wood glue to achieve the surface I wanted, but not recommended. Epoxy's the way to go.
cheers
vnkiwi :-))
Yes sir, balsa is for me. Normally all I use is med CA to glue everything together. Sand and glass with 1.5 oz cloth, inside and out. Makes for a strong hull. For epoxy I use either z-poxy finishing resin or a thin exopy from a local composites store.
If I need to bend in a strange way I soak it in water or spray with ammonia and water.
Wayne

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 08:55:33 am »

Wayne,
way to go. :-))
cheers
vnkiwi

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 09:13:12 pm »

Finally got the Tug all planked, what a job!!
Here is my daughter putting filler material on the hull, filling the low spots. I use drywall spackle.

Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »

And now its getting sanded off. She is working hard now.
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:41 pm »

We went to the pond the other day to run our lobster boats and my daughters quit in the middle. Come to find out the motor quit. No saving it and have no idea why it quit. So I took it all apart and replaced it. While it was all apart she decided she didn't like the blue hull anymore. Ok dear what color would you like? Pink. PINK! So off with the blue and on with the pink.
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »

Ready for glass and resin.
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 11:53:59 pm »

The outside of the hull has been glassed along with most of the inside.
I will let it sit and dry for several days then glass just the keel. Once that's finished I'll put a flow coat of resin on which will fill in the cloth a little better and then its sanding time again.
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2013, 10:44:15 pm »

Not much to show right now. The entire hull has been glassed and sanded. Then a flow coat was brushed on and sanded and another flow coat was put on. Hopefully when this flow coat is sanded it will be smooth enough to prime.

Stay Tuned.
Wayne

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 12:15:42 am »

Looking good there wayne . Nice to see the young uns helping out . My eldest daughter likes to help me with my models in the cellar too .

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 12:20:45 am »

Always nice to have her around. She normally hates going to my shop, claims its to dusty. But when it comes to boats she is always ready to help out.
And she is a pretty good helmsmen on her lobster boat. :-))
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:20 am »

Lots and Lots of sanding on the hull this weekend but all the hard work is starting to pay off.
Finally in primer.

Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:53 am »

Cut out and traced all the cabin parts. I'll cut those out in a few days then start building the cabin.

Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:16 am »

So now I'm thinking about the rudder. From my 30 odd years of building RC scale aircraft I like to have access to everything. I dislike more than anything having a part that is not serviceable. I started looking at ways to have the rudder removable. besides I don't like having to sand and paint around it. This is the first draft. I'll modify it as the build progresses. After making this up I already had another idea that will look a little better.

Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:16 am »

Tonight I ordered the rest of the wood I need along with the motor, stuffing box, coupler, and prop. A couple of days to receive that and I can move on.
Wayne

wayne d

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:14 am »

Any suggestions for the half round rub rail that goes around the hull?
Wayne
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.