Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: r65 dragon  (Read 3604 times)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
r65 dragon
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:01 pm »

i see westbourne models seem to have them in stock,£149.99,waiting for a report on them,then maybe,,,,slug

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: r65 dragon
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:17:05 pm »

I saw one of the production models at the mya seminar last saturday, I was particularly interested as I am building an RG65 at the moment. It looks really well thought out & well equiped. I especially liked the carbon rig, which is fully ballraced. Looks like the sails are made of rip stop nylon, but they are not panaled. As you can imagine, there were some very experienced people there & It was drawing some very favourable coments from all, especially the guys from sailect. Obviously, time will tell how good it really is, but on the face of it, it looks like a really good peice of kit, especially at the price.

I should say I have no conection with the yacht, just my observations.

Glenn
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:13:25 pm »

I saw one of the production models at the mya seminar last saturday, I was particularly interested as I am building an RG65 at the moment. It looks really well thought out & well equiped. I especially liked the carbon rig, which is fully ballraced. Looks like the sails are made of rip stop nylon, but they are not panaled. As you can imagine, there were some very experienced people there & It was drawing some very favourable coments from all, especially the guys from sailect. Obviously, time will tell how good it really is, but on the face of it, it looks like a really good peice of kit, especially at the price.

I should say I have no conection with the yacht, just my observations.

Glenn

I was there too Glenn! And also had a good look over the one that was there. I was very impressed and feel very close to ordering one myself.

Steve

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

had one at our lake today,after setting it up to get it about right it sailed very well,outsailed a micro magic.on one run kept up with my old 1om.i want one,seems to be sorted  tony

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:48:40 pm »

having sailed a preproduction model i can confirm they sail very well , we currently have two club members whove bought theirs with another two or three on order from the local model shop . we shall be including dragon force racing at our forthcoming combined micro magic / dragon force open meeting in october

Biggles

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:30:41 pm »

I've just bought a Dragon Force R65 from Abersoch Boat Yard Services (www.abersochboatyardservices.co.uk).

The owner Tim Long is really knowledgeable on these boats and offers lots of help, they also modify the bow by adding epoxy behind the rubber bow buffer to strengthen the 'nose'.

Tim also carries lots of spares and has video instructions on modifying the R65.

Take a look!

Biggles

g4yvm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:56:20 pm »

My boat arrived today. Wow. It's realy cool!!!

I'm amazed at how light it is. The hull weighs nothing!!

Can't wait to wet her bottom and get wind in her sails

Trouble is she makes my fibreglass build feel like a destroyer in comparison

D

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »

my friend has taken out the plywood and varnished it.then he mounted the winch under the plywood to give a little more clearance under the hatch.i have used a piece of styrene as a hatch held on with magnets,this works well     tony

g4yvm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »

Thanks Tony

D

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:34:48 am »

there are a few alterations which are advisable to make , runnnig epoxy in around the deck eyes will form a better seal , later fins have been sealed from the factory , early production models need sealing before use , the plywood radio tray sections are not sealed from new so need doing to prevent delamination , ive seen deck patches lift in use without the servo winch being moved to below the servo tray ,  there is also a slight week point around the top of the bow bumper on earlier models which can be strengthened with epoxy  , my own seems to be tougher here so maybe the second batch have already been altered ?  ive now owned my own boat for a little over a week , its not seen water yet , as its been stripped to bare plastic for a complete colour change to match my micro magic . hopefully it will be hitting the pond next week ! jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.