Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealing a Wooden Boat  (Read 1606 times)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sealing a Wooden Boat
« on: August 02, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »

I have just finished a ply laser cut Pilot Boat and am wondering how best to seal it.At the moment it has three coats of sanding sealer applied,on the outside,and been sanded down very smooth,no gaps etc.I have read all i can on the Forum about fibre glassing,two packs,epoxy,rubbing down etc,masses of work.I just want a sport boat to look decent rather than a mirror finish,and not leak.I had in mind to undercoat it,and then a Gloss top coat [Dulux] etc.also by brush as spraying isn't very practical to others here,even outside.I wish to do this and test for leaks before the radio gear goes in.I would be grateful for any comments,many thanks.Bob.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
Re: Sealing a Wooden Boat
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:30:55 pm »

Im by no means an expert but I built a large barge out of ply and applied sanding sealer.

I then painted with halfords rattle cans and applied lacquer, no leaks so far.  :-X

I did also apply a coat of epoxy resin used in fibre glass on the inside.

Dan

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:21 am »

An old timer at the club always pours some sand and sealer on the inside and swills it about. He said you'd be surprized at the sealer which finds it's way to the outside.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:05:52 am »

Correction I think, the term is "sanding sealer".  Very useful  for balsa to seal that very porous wood , I wouldnt think of adding sand to any other sealing paint unless you are trying to make a non-slip deck. Practically any paint can be used to seal the wood,thinned slightly to ensure penetration.  Drying time in the bowels of the hull will be longer, Humbrol is OK but rather expensive. I  use a gloss to waterproof then a matt on top of that so you can spot water ingress easier.  Best of all is the epoxy route as it seals and adds strength to joints. No need for glass on the inside.  Just my views.
..well can you land on this?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 12:34:45 pm »

for a bit of extra strength, try plasterboard jointing tape (the mesh type not the paper) on the inside of a wooden hull, then apply a coat of epoxy over the top

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:37:04 pm »

Many thanks for your comments,and a bit clearer now....seems to be many ways of doing it.Bob. O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.