Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Brushless ESC to buy?  (Read 5664 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Best Brushless ESC to buy?
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:46:54 am »

I guess a couple of questions really. First what is the best & most reliable ESC from 20 to 45 amps. The second question is are there ones made in U/K & are they better than the H/K smokers we hear so much about. I know nothing about these units so be kind & don't laugh too much. Mick B. PS = I wish DM would make them that would solve the problem.
Mick B.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: Best Brushless ESC to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:51 am »

:-)) I have used both chinese and uk made ESCs ,both have been ok depends what type model you want it for, Europe made brushless ESCs seen to give finer control over speed range, chinese are cheaper and somewhat harder to programme also take current ratings with a pinch of salt I have doubled the amps needed and had no problems I.E.50amps required used 100amp ESC also the cheaper chinese ones dont have reverse,if it says reversible it mean's rotation can be reversed not that the ESC has reverse,I tend to buy the best one you can afford like anything else it comes down to money hope I have been of some help as I have found out some of the points above the hard way,happy modelling,Ray. :-)) :-))       
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:59:27 am »

well respected brushless ESCs in the heli/Aircraft world are castle creations and Kotronik Escs
Castle actually do a range of Boat ESCs, but the smallest they do is a 60A
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/products_boat.html

http://www.kontronik.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=2&lang=en
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:25 am »

Those things really are a fearful price (well, those that aren't discontinued). Seven hundred Euros for a speed controller? I can't see Joe Soap queuing up for one of those, can you?
One wonders if motors that powerful are really necessary for a model boat. Some of the currents and HP quoted are ridiculous - and potentially very dangerous. Whatever happened to Mabuchis, Orbits and Kakos?
O, and Mick - don't hold your breath waiting!
DM

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:01 am »

Most UK built ESC's are reliable and some are repairable. They include:

Electronize
Mtronics
ACTion
Microgyros
Dawnmist

Bob
Officially a GOG.

inertia

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:06:58 am »

Bob
Check out the board this thread is on, mate. Brushless? Only MTroniks on your list make these - as far as I know.
DM

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:47:29 am »

oops!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:52:52 am »

Bob dont worry I dont go to specsavers either !

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 12:22:57 pm »

Caught me too   :P

Topic renamed!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 12:48:07 pm »

Best is highly subjective term, best for what?

Best value.
Best aftersales service.
Best motor control.
Best instructions, ease of set-up.

For best value, many of the Chinese controllers are very good. Some are rubbish however.

For best after sales support, easy instructions etc. you cannot beat Castle Creations, excellent products, and excellent aftersales, but you do pay more for the controller.

I would advise goign for a higher current rating becuase the difference in price is often marginal, but does give you added flexibility.

If low speed control is important you may want to consider a sensored controller and motor system.

inertia

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 01:03:49 pm »

For best after sales support, easy instructions etc. you cannot beat Castle Creations, excellent products, and excellent aftersales, but you do pay more for the controller.
Maybe so, except that all but two of the marine ESCs on  their website are now discontinued and either of the remaining two would cost well over £300 in the UK by the time you've added shipping and VAT. You have to be very serious about the hobby - and well-heeled - to contemplate spending that much on a speed controller.
DM

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 04:52:54 pm »

Looking under Mike's avatar he appears to be based in Canada, not the UK. Hence why I recommended CC as they're a bit closer to home than Mtroniks.

Secondly, Car esc's work very well in boats, and if you want them to run with watercooling, not difficult to modify, although they work perfecly well air cooled, especially if you overrate the current.
Also unlikely you will find a sensored marine ESC, all the ones I have seen are sensorless, which is fine for most uses as boats essentially have a fluid clutch, but if you want very good low speed control, then sensored is better. That means a Car esc, and in fact neither Castle Creations or Mtroniks can help with a sensored controller. The best value can be found at Hobbyking, they do a 60A sensored ESC (which can also run in sensorless mode) for $26. I have one of these, and so far it's proving to be superb, however I would be cautious in recommending it to some, as it comes sans instructions, and you need to update the firmware to get the best out of it.  Also I've only been running ti for a short time, so it could yet expire, we'll see.

inertia

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 05:32:14 pm »

The best value can be found at Hobbyking, they do a 60A sensored ESC (which can also run in sensorless mode) for $26. I have one of these, and so far it's proving to be superb, however I would be cautious in recommending it to some, as it comes sans instructions, and you need to update the firmware to get the best out of it.  Also I've only been running ti for a short time, so it could yet expire, we'll see.
SC
I'll be interested to see how you get on with this long-term, although having no instructions and needing a firmware update has just raised it beyond the comprehension threshold of about 90% of all reading this - me included! I have first-hand experience of what a mess some folk can make of an ESC when there are instructions - and not translated from Chinese, either.
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 06:35:16 pm »

The best value can be found at Hobbyking, they do a 60A sensored ESC (which can also run in sensorless mode) for $26.

HoobyKing, great prices but WORLD CLASS AWFUL after sales service!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 07:03:14 pm »

Like I said if you want great after sales service, you are going to have to pay for it. Having said that, I've known worse.

I've had to send the odd thing back, and they've always refunded my money. If you purchase things from them, you have to do your homework, and know what it is you want- they're box shifters.

If you want a new computer, and don't have clue what you want, chances are you're best served jogging along to your local PC world. If you know what it is you want, then chances are you log on to ebuyer etc.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 07:18:17 pm »

For brushless motors in boats I always use Hobbyking Boat Esc's.

I have always doubled the expected amperage and buy the appropriate programming card too.

Most often in my boats I find this 70 amp esc with true reverse to be more than suitable ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24569 ) and at £15 a throw there is no need to buy a lower amp esc.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »

Thank you all for the help you have given. Once again you as Forum members prove you do not need to go any farther than here for the very best advice. As you can see from the replies this is the place to check first. To DM, I am holding my breath so hurry up whats stopping you,there is a FREE holiday waiting for you in Canada when you succeed, is that not a good enough incentive.?. Mick B.
Mick B.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:17 pm »

Most often in my boats I find this 70 amp esc with true reverse to be more than suitable ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24569 ) and at £15 a throw there is no need to buy a lower amp esc.

I have the 30A version of this and it seems to be OK. Would like a programming card but that doesn't seem to be available. Unless you are into VERY fast electric, these are ideal. The 30A version costs £9.99 from the UK warehouse.

I also have a Maytech  60A from Astec - I think these are Canadian, but could be wrong. They do a range of sizes and a programming card. The 60 A is £28 from Astec.

Barrie

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »

I agree with what has been said. The HobbyKing stuff is very good for the price. I tend to run a larger model and the fine control isn't so much of an issue. If it were a smaller (sub 20") model I probably would be a little more wary, but for anything else with a bit of momentum I find them to be just as good as controllers 5 x the price.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 02:47:48 pm »

For brushless motors in boats I always use Hobbyking Boat Esc's.
 I find this 70 amp esc with true reverse to be more than suitable ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24569 ) and at £15 a throw there is no need to buy a lower amp esc.

Agreed on this ESC , running two, both with KEDA 4300kVa motors and 5200mAh 2S Lipos but use their programming card to make life easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.