Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom 3D Printing  (Read 5656 times)

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Custom 3D Printing
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 11:11:26 am »

Hi Aerodecked

That is impressive and only 40mins , what 3d software did you use ?, will you be adding the item to thingiverse? I  have a basic 3d printer and I'm ok at printing but haven't tried to design anything yet.
Thanks timg

Hi, I quickly fired up the basics using tinkercad then moved onto Fusion360 to add fillets etc. I'm not sure about adding fittings to Thingiverse as I was hoping to get a little return on the printer & my time. %)

Rob

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 11:15:38 am »

One question, not a moan, is the 'bottom' flat or radiused? They would maybe be better to stick on if they were radiused to fit a 35mm table tennis ball.
If you are willing to make these for me can I order 20?

The bottom is set to match the original 35mm ball so should stick on OK & they are a lot lighter than resin :)

I will re-do the design to fit 40mm if you want & I'd be happy to print off 20 of them once I have the design dialled in.

Rob

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 11:16:25 am »

Nice job Aerodecked. 40 mins plus all the hours of learning CAD! Are you self-taught or learnt at work?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 11:24:01 am »

Thanks.

Always had interest in the old technical drawing but self taught on CAD as I got a printer to make my own fittings for a Solent lifeboat(might do a wee blog once I have enough to post as I'm slow as a dead snail just now) and spent my Covid quarantine & recovery learning & experimenting design for printing.
Rob

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 12:10:37 pm »

The bottom is set to match the original 35mm ball so should stick on OK & they are a lot lighter than resin :)

I will re-do the design to fit 40mm if you want & I'd be happy to print off 20 of them once I have the design dialled in.

Rob

No, the 35mm will be fine I'm sure, I'll just put a bigger blob of glue under it. Thanks, let me know when you want money.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 12:13:20 pm »

This was my effort last night to create a master to make a silicon mould from. It just needed a bit more shaping and I'm sure it would have worked.

RST

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2020, 12:12:14 am »

I would have thought that anyone who has made the investment would be happy to offset some of the costs by making bits for other people. In that situation I certainly would.

...same rationale applies, I guess, for anyone else with a mill, lathe or casting materials etc.!  R.o.I. isn't the driver.

I asked for the capability to exchange .stl 3D files on here at least though.  It doesn't come up much but we should be able to help by exchange of files at least.

Rich

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2020, 06:05:17 am »

now we have the capability of uploading stl files I am happy to share some of the ones I have created for my personal use.
here are my 1/12 scale roof vents, the inner is printed from clear pla (its not that clear, but will transmit light) then chromed using a molotow liquid chrome paint pen

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 06:12:49 am »

and while we are talking fenders, heres a 1/12 scale one I designed, and a life ring at 1/12 scale too

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 07:10:24 am »

Nice design Grendel!
    :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:05 am »

They look really good Grendel. I struggled to find decent ones when I was looking for them for the last project. I gave up in the end as the resin cast ones I did find just weren't good enough. I just left them off in the end.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 11:14:32 am »

lets see if i can find a finished article as fitted to the model.
this is one from up forward next to the pennant mast and searchlight (also 3d printed)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.