Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 1532 times)

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Another Newbie
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:20 am »

Hello!

Well, I'm new to this site, although been calling in for a couple of years on and off.

I started boating many years ago when 10 Raters and vane was still being used and Aero Kits and Taplin Twins were common. Went through the Multi racing phase, although never raced,  and was one of the only people in the club doing semi scale, went to the scale Nationals in the early eighties a couple of times also.

My interests are varied at this time, however I'm not a builder I'm a medler, I love playing with old boats, coat of paint, new motor etc. I think at this time Model boating is at a very interesting period. New technology is coming into manifactuering, lazer cutting etc and CNC machine work. I think value for money is good, the range of items available is great and will increase, all very interesting. The Webb is making a big difference as well.

I have a collection of fifties and sixties wooden boats, a couple of scale boats and also a collection of clockwork and other toy boats, which I love.

In the future I want to give steam a go and also do a couple of old Deisel engine boats. I also want to do a Scharhorne and some of the more scale kits. Don't know if I'll get to the scratch building stage, but interested.  I also like scale sale as well but not there yet.

Well that's it for now and my introduction

Kind regards

Mark

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:42:04 pm »

Welcome aboard the good ship Mayhem Mark!

( Free drink in the ward room at 15:00, if you know the password. )

Did you have / run a Taplin twin? How good were they?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »

Hi Martin,

I never had one, but many did, they were popular. I remember looking and watching, if that makes sense, being totally taken in by it all. The smell of the fuel has always remained with me. 

As to how good they were is difficult, they ran well in that they delivered power well and in quite a controlled manner, which alot did not do at that time, but they were not exessivly powerfull by todays standards. I would describe them as a good slogger, but they looked good!!

The other thing was starting them, start on the front cylinder and then bring the back cylinder in, that was the way. with a leather boot lace. I was using little DC engines as the electric engines, mainly Taycol, were also lacking power by todays standards, they were big and heavy, they also needed big batteries, again which were pretty disapointing by today's offerings

Hope that helps

Mark

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:55:12 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse,you dont have to be mad, but it helps.baloo(martin)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 09:00:16 pm »

Welcome aboard the good ship Mayhem Mark!

( Free drink in the ward room at 15:00, if you know the password. )

Did you have / run a Taplin twin? How good were they?

Martin

The one I had ( still have in a box in pieces) used to go well and my 46" crash tender used to plane very nicely on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.