Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173692 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:11:52 pm »

Well, I suppose that I had better start my new project now that the lifeboats have been finished and sailed ( well, one at least, as the other has found a new home and I don't want it to sink before the new owner has taken delivery of it, lol)
My choice of new project ( or my daughter's to be honest) is one of Caledonian MacBraynes ( Calmac for short) inter Island roll on roll off car/passenger ferries that plied their way between Wemyss Bay and Rothesay on the Isle of Bute for a good 30+ years before being taken out of service a few short years ago to go for scrap.
There were three vessels in the class whish were called "The Streakers", and they were called Jupiter, Juno and Saturn. Sadly the Jupiter and Juno went for scrap some time ago but the Saturn remains tied up at a marina in Roseneath on Gareloch off the Clyde, opposite Greenock.
Below are some photos of the three ships whilst still in service, and I think that they have a particularly nice "dashing" look about them with a good flair at the bow and a lovely sheer to the hull.
I have sailed on them numerous times over the years with my family and always thought that they would make a good project, especially with twin Voith Schnieder propulsion units powering them.
So here it is, a joint project between myself and a friend called Andrew Petre' who lives close to Glasgow.
My daughter chose, out of the three vessels, the  MV Jupiter for me to model for her in her last guise before being taken out of service, but below are some shots of all three boats, to give you a flavour of what they all looked like in their hayday, and happier times.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:33:08 pm »

And so to the model.
The hard work has been done, and all by my friend Andrew Petre'.
Andrew is a senior Camera Operater with the BBC Scotland Television service, and saw my request for anyone with plans of the Jupiter to contact me. That was some time ago and we have become friends over the airwaves over the past 8 - 10 months, and finally met up in Glasgow at BBC Pacific Warf last Saturday, when Andrew gave us a guided tour of the BBC studios, which, to be honest, blew our minds..........I have never been to a more fascinating place in my life, and Andrew showed us things that we would never see again in a lifetime.....A BIG THANKYOU , Andrew.
and so back to the build.

Well, Andrew has done the hard job, and that is to produce the plug for a fibre glass mould, and it is made to a scale of around 1:45 so 1.48 scale fittings if available for anything will not feel out of place.
But the first job will be to ready the plug for taking a GRP mould in order to take a few mouldings from.

This will be a direct copy from the plug, as the rubbing strakes and beltings on all three boats were different........they will be added to the moulding of  boat choice once the relative owner chooses which boat he/she wants to model. The hull comes out at 59" or for the  euro price.......   1.5 mts length over all.
This first part is a little ad hock as I can't describe how Andrew made the plug excepting to say that it was built conventionally from centre keel, frames and plank on frame with polyester filler to give shape.............my normal choice of build method for the plug.

All fittings I shall be making and moulding before casting, in multiples, using methods I have  used before on my lifeboats but will for those who don't read lifeboat postings, re iterate when and where I go through a new process..............and, apart from the first pics of the plug that Andrew produced, and it is excellent, I'll now get down to it, and it may be a week or so before I post again and start the process of producing a split mould for the hull.

Just one more thing before I go away and get busy..........I will also be producing a set of moulds for the superstructure of the ship, and any other large part that will help the possible builder of future boats to a quicker easier build.

neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »

And finally, before I go any further, I have been following all posts on here about setting up of Voith Schnieder units, and am well aware, after also reading the article in this months Model Boats mag, about the limitation of throw and other aspects including rpm of motors etc, but I have another problem..............

My VSPU's are not set up in the boat like any other tractor tug.............they are set up longitudinally one at each end of the ship, and both units are unitary on the motion of forward and astern movement....ie........both units go forward together OR  astern together, but both are independent in motion port to starboard. i.e. they can both go port together, or starboard together, or one port whilst the other starboard.
Now it doesn't take any reader of this to realise I am a total numpty at this game..........but even I realise that I am going to need a mixer or more than one mixer to simulate all this electronic wizardry.............so please..........Dave ( Inertia ) will you please have a think as to how I can do this set up on my boat please, and if there is anything on the market can you please steer me to it.

But basically what I want is to one  TX stick on my radio gear to operate forward/reverse on both motors together, AND  operate left/right on one motor, and the other TX stick to operate engine revs and left/right on the second motor.................am I asking too much..........I haven't a clue.

Many thanks to all for info received.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »

Neil,
When driving these type of ships it was usual to use 1 VS Unit for power and the other for steering.
The steering Unit could also be used for power too.
Happy days on these ferries I used to live in Wemyss Bay!!!!

Bob

PS and Largs
Officially a GOG.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »

Well,welcome back Cap'n.
You did warn us that your next model was not going to be a Lifeboat,and you were not kidding!
Not my type of ship,but I am sure your build will be as interesting and informative as ever.
I very much look forward to your future postings.It has been quiet on here for the last two weeks! ;D %% %%
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:44 pm »

Neil,
When driving these type of ships it was usual to use 1 VS Unit for power and the other for steering.
The steering Unit could also be used for power too.
Happy days on these ferries I used to live in Wemyss Bay!!!!

Bob

PS and Largs

Cheers, Bob.

No, apparently they did have their voiths linked......got irrefutable evidence via a video of the captain on the bridge of Jupiter talking about them and saying that they were actually linked as an accident happened apparently with a ship at one point that had a similar set up and one unit was going astern independently whilst the other was going ahead with consequences.
Also have a friend in largs who is skipper of Loch Riddon in summer and does relief skipper around the fleet in winter............he actually sailed on Saturn and Jupiter, and also confirmed they were both linked to one motion for and aft..

And cheers, Mick..................yes told you it would be different.

Now though I have a bigger problem that the voiths................as this model is for my daughter Mollie...........she seems to have taken an interest in what I have put..........and has already pointed out several spelling and grammatical mistakes.......................so I am going to have to watch my self on this one.............or will get it in the neck from her, lol.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:20:18 pm »

Neil (and Mollie!)

Great topic for a model, have always fancied one of these ferries as a subject for RC.
Look forward to seeing more of the build.

Alex

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:24:38 pm »

How long were you up there for Bob......................we just love the area, and may one day retire to that part of the world, once the kids have gone through their exams and further training.

I don't think there is a better coastline for views and shipping anywhere that I have visited before...........just wonderful.
PS.......anyone fancy buying a real Clyde class lifeboat...know of one for sale.....only 100K...the Gardner 8L3B marine engines are worth more than that on their own.......see here  http://www.nelsonsboats.co.uk/boatdescription.html?BoatID=203

we were on board her last Wednesday for a cruise on the Clyde with the owner Iain Crosby and she purred like a kitten

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »

cheers Alex.
Hope to make a start in the next week or so. neil.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »

When you set it up
Can you put a steering servo on each unit but
Have them facing opposite ways and connected on a Y lead
So if the front servo is pushing left the rear servo is pushing right

The only problem is you wouldn't be able to move sidewards as if docking

I may be totally wrong as I haven't done this before :embarrassed:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:55:05 pm »

that's the problem Gingyer.......with hard tackle I would loose out on the total manoeuvrability that I want..........I want her to behave as the real ship in every way, sideways, diagonally, every which way and the only way I think I'll be able to achieve this is electronically......gawd forbid, lol

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:59:47 pm »

Or a 4ch radio with each stick controlling each unit
And a bit of brain power to work it right knowing me I would have it going
Round in circles but not forward %% %% [size=78%] [/size]

It's a shame my dads cousin is no longer with us as he was an engineer
On these ships with mal-cac and I spent a fair bit on them going to
Dunoon to see family

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 08:52:14 pm »

Hi Neil

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound with the family. The weather was very kind while you were North of the border! Delighted you all enjoyed the tour of the studios, you've had a wee insight into how things are made. :-))

Strange seeing the hull I've been working on 'at your end' so to speak, but delighted I've been able to help you. I'll be watching closely as you work your magic!

As we discussed I'll email you very soon with some pictures and a couple of web links.

Kind regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »

Thanks Andrew.....the visit, was just superb..........hope to see you again in the not too distant future with the moulds and mouldings, and return the plug.

Take care and don't run over your toes with one of those cameras, lol..........they were awesome.

neil.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »

Neil,
Most VS ferries can and do link the VS Units together for passage.
On maneuvering/docking they should always be unlocked.
Several docking accidents have occurred when the mate has forgotten to decouple the units.
When coupled the steering effect is reduced but ahead/astern power is not.
I have worked on VS tugs (Single and Twin) and VS Wightlink and Red Funnel Ferries and Dodes on this site has driven most of them them.

I moved up to Largs in 1982 and lived in the Greenock area for just over 15yrs.
That is where I was a member of Largs, Greenock, Glasgow South and Glasgow Richmond clubs.
Some extremely good modellers up there and I knew Ginger when he was just a wee boy!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 09:31:42 pm »

cheers Bob..............so really I could use the two sticks on a 6 channel tx to operate both motors independently, without too much wizardry which confuses me so much, lol

Never been to the other 3 clubs, but I always find Largs model boat club such an incredibly friendly club to visit

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »

and I knew Ginger when he was just a wee boy!!

Bob

And that wasn't yesterday {-) {-) {-) {-)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47:22 pm »

A long time ago I was one of the original members who started the Largs Club.
The Greenock water is certainly far bigger and the Glasgow clubs have larger membership.

The VS Units can be used in any way you feel comfortable.
I would suggest full control on each unit taking 4 channels then you can drive her as you like using fore or aft for steering

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 09:49:55 pm »

where is the Greenock club water, lads...........for reference when I'm up there next year.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 09:51:56 pm »

Ther Murdieson Dam.
When you head from Largs To Greenock (Do you ever use the Old Largs Road?) it is just off Dunlop Street the higher road through greenock.

Some good lads there, when we docked I took a few over our ship.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

is that the one that leads up from Brisbane glen road and over the tops to the top of Greenock where you get the most incredible views of the clyde...........if so yes...........will key in the road on google maps and see where you mean.
neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 10:16:41 pm »

Found it.......when do they meet, Bob.

neil.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »

Sunday afternoon and Wed or Thurs evening, there are a few members on here so might be able to confirm.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »

Its nice to see you back Neil, & I am really looking forward to your new project, I will be glued to the forum. At present we have Dave Martin (Norseman on the forum) & his better half Jenny staying with us for a couple weeks & so far they are having a great time. Yesterday Dave saw the biggest train he has ever seen going through the Rockies. (He works on the railways in U/K) I really like the new project you are undertaking but did not expect any less from you. Have you any pictures of the lifeboats just finished with the crews all in place & painted, it would be nice to see if you have. Thanks again, Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:58 pm »

hi Mick..................no, haven't finished the crew yet...........in fact not done anything to them other than spray them all satin black..........neil.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.