Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173698 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2014, 08:45:30 pm »

my daughter and I mollie ( Rachel was dog walking and shopping with friends) stood on the dock side with water dripping off our noses watching the comings and goings of Loch Riddon to Lismore, and still we enjoyed ourselves. lol

look forward to hearing from you.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:13 am »

Gelcoat on the first half of the mould was on before 09.00 this morning...this gives a nice smooth surface for moulding up against , and it the only thing on the polyester resin moulding method that is relatively impervious to water.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2014, 11:56:48 am »

Now for the grp layers.............normally with one of my lifeboats where there are gentle curves I would slap a full half of a mould on in one go............but here we have some very tight sharp edges around the keel and the plinths for the Voith Schnieder units, and so I have put one layer on to that area and around the flange joint and left to go off before adding more layers.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2014, 07:15:49 pm »

Have just been asked by a member via pm, and I don't think this is breaking a confidence on such a message, and it was how I got my plug to the condition ready to take a mould......

I answered:  getting a hull to that stage is just a lot of hard work, sanding, filling, more sanding, more filliing etc, and then once you think it's ready.....numerous (10 15 coats of) sanding sealer to harden the timber up, and then wire wool to bring it down again....finally a spray of grey primer to highlight any dents rises and other imperfections.........more filling and sanding, and then another grey primer.....if all well, a filler primer, and then rub it down with wet and dry to a (hopefully ) perfect finish, before waxing and polishing before gelcoating and laying up the mould.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2014, 07:20:58 pm »

the first half of the mould has now been finished, the flange trimmed up and another coat of wax given before adding the blue PVA  release agent and ready for the second half moulding tomorrow.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »

second half of the mould went swimmingly this morning...........no hassles, no problems and everything fit together perfectly........looks like the practice paid off with all those lifeboats, and I've now got the hang of it %% %% %%

After the grp had set I cleaned off the top of the mould where it meets the bulwark lines with a power file.

and then the heavens opened, and what the English cricket team had been praying for for weeks happened..........rain stopped play >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2014, 03:12:12 pm »

then it was down to sanding the flange and the mould to get rid of painful grp"Needles", and if you have ever suffered from those, you know what I mean <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

at this time I also marked and drilled holes in the flange to take the 6mm roofing bolts before I split the mould

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »

Finally I split the mould, using nylon wedges and a wooden mallet..............there was a satisfying "POP" when the mould broke away from the plug.

I never get over the thrill of this happening, knowing that by hearing this, the mould will probably be a good one.

I cleaned it up a little and then bolted it together temporarily to allow it to cure straight and true without warping.

will clean it up tomorrow and then start waxing up ready for the process of pulling a hull out of it,

I love it when a plan comes together. {-) {-) {-) {-)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

and then the heavens opened, and what the English cricket team had been praying for for weeks happened..........rain stopped play >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Wot rain? Been lovely down 'ere.

Nice job BTW though.

LB

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2014, 05:51:30 pm »

Wot rain? Been lovely down 'ere.

Nice job BTW though.

LB

to much for me to stand outside with an electric power file, Jon..........my hair's curly enough {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »

Hi Neil

Good to finally catch up this afternoon. Have just managed to find a computer free at work and login to have a look at the latest stages in the moulding. Looking very nice indeed!

Great work! :-)) :-))

Looking forward to seeing the first hull being laid up.

Regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »

won't be long now Andrew........can see these ships doing that famous figure of 8 pulling away from the quay side sooner than you think, lol

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2014, 01:57:08 pm »

I must either build smaller models, or get a bigger bath tub................starting to clean the residue from the mould thast was picked off the plug when it separated.......nice warm soapy water and a brillo pad or two will do the trick, plus a lot of elbow grease.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »

Just amazing what a little warm water, a brillo pad and some elbow grease will do.........the mould is now ready for waxing up............next stop a hull or two...........great stuff.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2014, 09:27:14 pm »

Hi Neil, Don,t tell me that you going to laminate in that room. Altho we have all done it sometime. "yes dear, I know dear, but who bought the carpet, dear". I think I would leave it a while longer to cure out before doing the other side, imho. Are you making your own Voith units? Good Luck,  Nemesis

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2014, 09:30:37 pm »

Hi Neil, Stupid me, I should have read the prior postings on this thread, Sorry,  Nemesis

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2014, 09:32:00 pm »

have to admit, have done it in the back room Once, lol....never live it down.......

no, the voiths are graupner ones......the newer type with longer blades.....haven't the skills or knowledge to make my own.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2014, 08:14:44 pm »

Next stage is to wax up the mould,paint with the pva release agent, let it dry and bolt together using the 6mm roofing bolts before painting in a gelcoat ready for laying up a first hull tomorrow. ahh, it's good when a plan comes together, lol

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »

{:-{

you pass the gel coat inside the hull?

I've always seen outside

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2014, 09:01:50 pm »

no Gazou.....you are viewing the mould here, into which the hull moulding will be made...and the gelcoat will then be on the outside of the moulding.....sorry didn't point it out clearly enough. neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:58 am »

I laid up the first moulding inside the mould early this morning with just two complete layers of 300gm glass fibre chopped strand matting. I wanted this to be a light weight hull as I don't know how the two Voith VSp units are going to perform with such a long model.
I waited for the resin to start going off and then trimmed it up around the bulwark edges with a Stanley knife.

I here people commenting regularly about mis-shapened hulls and what has the manufacturer done with the moulding for it to get this way........I have included the last two photos to show that a perfectly straight hull can give a perfectly straight mould, only for the mould to "contract" when a moulding is laid into it and contorts during the curing process...........It's natural for the grp and resin to do this, and no fault of the moulder. this deformity will be taken out when putting the deck beams into the boat hull............simples.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:57 am »

But surly Neil, your mould should have a flange along that edge, which would prevent this?
I didn't notice the absent flange before.
 {:-{

sorta like this hull at top, from the mould at the bottom left

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:49 am »

Are you sure you meant  Surly.  or would you like it corrected to  Surely.  ?   :}

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2014, 10:35:04 am »

Hi Kiwi............I know a lot of people put a flange around the tops of their bulwarks, but I have never done that myself.

Once the flange has been cut off the moulding it will contract when curing anyway, as it is a process of the curing,, and if one layer is laid up with a little more catylist than the previous layer, it becomes even more evident, so ( only my opinion I must say) I have always thought that adding a cutting flange for trimming was a waste of time and effort.

neil.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:56 am »

Kenny, Surely, I'm a surly grumpy old man, or they think so at work anyway.

Neil,
Just wondered, not seen that way before, but gives you a better edge to trim to. Always found the lip flange, gets in the way when trimming, so may try your way next time.

Not a lot of experience with Polyester, usually work in epoxy, which is a whole different ball game, as it don't shrink from the mould. Makes for some interesting extraction methods if one don't get the mould shape right.
The above mould and hull are polyester, but not made by myself, just laidup from my plug.
 :-))

Thanks for your quick replies, time for me to hit the hay.
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.