Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173697 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »

what a great morning I had........three wedges at the bow end and the mould popped off the moulding like a boil on a teenagers face, lol.........washed off it looked just dandy, and the second mould was waxed release agent added and gelcoat applied before tea time......hopefully a second hull out by tomorrow evening.

and you can now see why they were called the "steaker class" from the shape of their hulls.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2014, 09:32:29 pm »

Brilliant Neil! That hull looks amazing. :-)) :-))

The split mould really helps the process. I've struggled in the past to encourage a hull to come out a mould. <*<
Lots of effort and then at last a 'crack' and out it comes. Your method is much less stressfull!

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »

It is that Andrew......well worth the effort to make one in two halves, and it prolongs the life of a mould if you don't stress it out by heaving and shoving to get a moulding out of it. neil.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2014, 01:09:15 am »

......."Lots of effort and then at last a 'crack' and out it comes".....  {-) ....goodness sounds like child birth...... O0.
Some 40 odd years ago whilst attending the birth of my first child.....the Doctor said......"you just stay up that end of the bed.......don't worry....   ;) if you feint we will just walk straight over you".....   <*<
Sorry Neil........couldn't resist.......Derek....... [proud father of 3 daughters]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2014, 01:33:49 pm »

Now I have a good mould, it's just like shelling peas, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »

Hi Neil

Been tinkering with the computer to generate the graphics for Jupiter. Thought you'd like a look!

The dimensions of every letter can be adjusted as required. Placed on the plan the sizes of everything except the Gaelic translation of 'Jupiter' work well. Once I have a hull I can see if the Caledonian MacBrayne logo requires an upward bend or if the Hull shape will naturally carry the logo that way. Once I'm happy I'll send you a paper print out for you to check at your end before arranging the cutting of the lettering by my friend at work. The letter shapes will of course be cut from the correct colour vinyl, the letters have been created with a vector programme and are a 'road map' for the cutter to follow. The thruster warning disks on the hull can also be created this way, I just need to draw them!

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2014, 04:24:07 pm »

She'd finished her homework Andrew so took the chance.................they look superb. Neil.

Beginning to see them on the water plying their trade......great stuff. neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »

Yesterday I dug out the bench saw to do some money saving..........cut some lengths of obeche into 12 x 12mm strips and 12 x 28mm strips for the deck supports..........the amount I cut probably saved me around 12 quid at the timber merchant........but must remember I am now getting older and my back takes the brunt.......had to spend the rest of the night in bead and half this morning because I pulled something in my back and now doped up on Co Codamol......was it worth it...........YES! I suppose.

I also marked out the position of the main car deck ready for the support beams.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »

Neil,

Shock horror is that an American Dewalt  :o :o :o {-) {-) {-)

Thats why your back is out. O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2014, 09:41:45 pm »

is that matey.........a good one too......cost me 200 bucks second hand from a guy who used it once to cut some floor boards...........it's have been cheaper for him to buy a jig saw {-) {-) {-)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2014, 12:51:58 am »

You're making progress Neil,and its looking good. Just thought I would add "Tidy Mind = Tidy workplace.
You must have an x rated mind my friend! O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %%
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2014, 09:50:15 am »

I resemble that!!!!!!!!!!!! %% %% %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2014, 10:56:11 am »

started on the main ladder frame for the car deck last night and cut to length the two main side supports and the cross members, and then ran out of time.
the essential point of this is to get the thing square so that all the bulkheads and cabins will line up eventuallu............so I used the age old cabinet makers method ( taught to me by my granddad who was a master cabinet maker and pattern maker) and that is if a simple method of diagonal cross sticks......measure from one corner to diagonal corner and make a mark on the sticks. put the sticks in the opposite diagonals and if they are the same, the interior is square.....if not, you adjust the positioning of one side (in this case the beam support) by half the length that it was out by.......... and then re measure........ and readjust if further needed until both diagonals are the same. then mark the spots where the timbers go and glue....I used 2 part epoxy for this.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »

more deck beams have been added and a plate fore and stern for support....the for'd deck will be higher than the position shown but the main deck will run straight through to the bow to give rigidity to the hull...I don't like flimsy models..need to be chunky for when this clumbsy old sod drops them, lol

Now the big question .........as toy can see, the Voiths have been put into position...the bow one will be fine when the thing is sunk into the hull, but the stern one is going to cause problems in that the motor in present position will come above deck line............does anyone know where you can buy much longer toothed belts for the Voiths so that I can re position and invert the motor to fit under the deck, please.

cheers, neil.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »

This build is SO interesting, really  enjoy it! Can you build a gearbox where The motor is and have a shaft to the motor?
All the best!
Hama

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2014, 04:51:41 pm »

not that technically minded Hamma, but I am going to give this all some thought once I have the Voiths sat in correct position. neil.

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2014, 04:57:34 pm »

Neil, have a look at MFA/comodrills, they seem to have quite a selection of toothed gear belts? Graham

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2014, 05:19:11 pm »

Neil, have a look at MFA/comodrills, they seem to have quite a selection of toothed gear belts? Graham

thanks graham........will do...........have bought off them for my Clyde lifeboat for belt drive on the motors and forgot about them.................they gave excellent service too, if I remember.

neil

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:40 am »

Hi Neil

Just leaving the office after a very long day..... Celtic Connections concert at the Hydro venue in Glasgow.

Had a quick scan of your progress today, looking good!

I have a link to a potential longer replacement belt. I'll post it when I have a chance tomorrow. I always new the stern Voith would be an issue and thought the answer would be to move the motor away from the propeller and invert it to lower the height. The forward Voith is well safe as the car deck only goes just forward of Mid ships with only accomodation forward. The foredeck giving tons of headroom above the unit.

I'll post the link tomorrow.

Andrew

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2014, 10:26:42 am »

Although it's already there, is it really necessary to "Sync" the motor to the drive unit? could the drive be replaced with round belts and pulleys?

Regards   Ian.

Alternatives :-  http://hpcgears.com/

http://www.rpmechatronics.co.uk/shop/index.php
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2014, 10:38:13 am »

Hi Neil have a look hear for the belts

http://www.hpcgears.com/products/pulleys_belts.htm
aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:44 am »

Neil
John is right do try them as the Meteor is fitted with their pulleys and ribbed belt. See if you can speak to one of the technical guys as I did and he worked out what I needed and works a treat

Watching your build as I have a fibreglass hull build coming up, which I've never done 

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2014, 11:02:37 am »

thanks for all your help guys....think Andrew and I will be very happy to look at these solutions. cheers, neil.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2014, 06:28:42 pm »

As promised here is the link to add to those posted below. Thanks for all the interest guys.

http://www.ondrives.com/p/9036/630-2gt-6

The above link is as far as I can see is the same belt as used by the Voith units. The diameter of the belt in the link above (63cm) would move the motor 18cm away from it's current position mounted on the propeller. Not sure about gears as a solution as they may introduce noise into the equation where a toothed belt is near silent.

This extended belt solution has been done before in a ferry model that was featured in model boats in years past. It was a white double ended ferry with an amazing array of features including working hydraulic bow/stern visors lights etc. I have never managed to find out more on this model as the article stated that the Voith propellers had both had their motors relocated by changing the belt length. A similar restriction on height of the car deck was the problem there too.  If anyone remembers the model or knows the builder do get in touch. If memory serves The article was about two brothers and a second diving support model in the  process of being built?

Neil, I've printed the relevant Bridge sheets for you and will pop them in the post tomorrow.  I'd forgotten how much camber she has!

Andrew

ps
I'll also send the sheet of logos for you to see.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2014, 06:53:55 pm »

thanks Andrew.........appreciate that......

been working feverishly today reinforcing the main car deck, and the upper deck, strategically putting cross members at the points where the superstructures will go. I have decided on my model to have a flush hatch at the stern for the read Voith access, plus possibly another near to the side ramps for the batteries, and the top wheel  superstructure will lift to give access to the bow Voith. I am doing this so that the lower part of the superstructure can be fixed in place and the join between the side of this and the bulwarks will be permanent.
although all supports were but jointed, the first two pics show the joint made for the first cross beam to fit into the side supports, and all other support members were held with thin 1.0mm pieces of ply, glued underneath to gith support to the butt joints.........it looks heath robinson but is quite strong when all decks are glued on. the final part of this ladder frame work will be to lay a gusset of polyester filler under the side beams to give both support and a watertight  seal between deck and bulwarks.........I'll do that tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.