Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173742 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #250 on: March 12, 2014, 01:33:30 pm »

finally got round to laying up the two cabins today.........just laid up 1 layer of 1oz chopped strand matting around all the window areas and the tops, to give lightness to the top hamper of the boat and two layers around the bottom rims for a little strength around the combings.......sadly one layer bubbled after I had left it to go off, and so have cut the bubble, and put some resin/gelgoat mix in to fill it up before sanding off when cured..however..........did a stupid thing and tried top hasten the "going off" time by using a hot air gun.......took my eye off the process for a moment, and the thing caught fire, lol....quickly put it out but will have to wait to split it to see if I have damaged the mould...........hope not.............

lesson is.............DON'T TRY TO RUSH GLASS FIBRE WORK!!!!!!..........it'll go off in it's own sweet time, naturally........lesson learned. <*< <*< <*< <*< <*<

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:16 pm »

and the other part came out too..........will clean them up when I have made the three sets needed.second set in the moulds at the moment, and will get the 3rd set done tomorrow, and then get down to building the boat........hopefully.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »

all mouldings finally finished, and now all the grp stuff and moulds can be put away ready for taking to Scotland and their new owner.

I can now start to actually build the model and sit at night making the fittings for casting..........this is what I call enjoyment, lol

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »

Hi Neil

Blimey you've been busy!  :}

The mouldings look fantastic, looking forward to seeing them when we are able to arrange it. :-))

Been tasked with painting the kitchen while off on 'holiday' this week.
Nearly finished, typing this between coats of emulsion.... {-)

Going back to work next week for a rest I think!

Regards

Andrew   

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:12 pm »

no rest for the wicked, matey, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:29 am »

the final decision has been made and I am now not going back on my decision...............am reverting back to the original layout and fittings for the stern Voith Schneider unit.....the motor will protrude through the deck and I will be disguising it with something or other........up for debate and thoughts though......either a lorry, coach or a large packing crate on a bogey ( no not that type of bogey)..one with wheels, lol..........but before I started any alterations I fitted the retaining rings for the Voith Schneider units into the hull, using polyester filler to seat them and glue them in, making sure that they were level and that the Voiths, as per the real ship had a slight incline of each unit to either for or aft depending on which one it was.

But first I even had to make alterations to both fore and aft deck supports.......but the frame work was built like the proverbial s*** house anyway so the loss of a little won't be noticed.....used a saw and at the aft end my invaluable power file to shape around the motor unit.......and will eventually work out a hatch to waterproof this area and ability to put in a flush deck.(all good fun designing and trouble shooting as you go along........haven't a clue at times what to do........and good for the old brain matter to have to think on the run............

but the big question to all you Voith PU experts is.........the aft motor and Voith need me to put the servos and arms to the "joystick" at an angle of around 45 degrees to the right angle.as shown in the very last photo( the bow Voith is fine)..............will this angle of "attack" for the servo's make any difference to the way the transmitter unit operates the correct direction of the vpu.........or do I have to have the joy stick attached to the Vpu at the proper right angle setting.......makes it a whole lot easier if I can have it as shown in the last photo of this set.
neil.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2014, 12:08:05 pm »

Needs to be like 030 Nail or you'll get an offset drive. Consider the "Joystick" where the ball joints are fastened to.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »

that's my initial thought ian.............but would it??...............I wonder more and more about it. neil.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:25 pm »

The unit needs a "Reference" stationary point so with the motor mounted fore and aft and the joystick on the Voith unit vertical, it should keep the drive in "Neutral". From that position moving the position of the top of the joystick into another position should drive in that direction. Note I'm referring to Voith "Joystick", not the transmitter.

If you couple it up with the servos as in 028, to achieve forward movement you have to drive both servos as opposed to just one, same for sideways movement. Could be that the vee tail mix function may work but why make life difficult when with a bit of extra effort you can make it b****y impossible?

It'll give DM something to think about though.

Regards   Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »

am going to redesign the hatch so that I can fit the servos in as per the bow Voith on a 030 configuration...that'll be far easier than panicking around when the model doesn't go the way I want it to, lol......meanwhile have made the little servo retaining boxwes from plasticard (3.mm thickness to give some beef to them ajnd they will be sat on blobs of filler to anchor them to the hull.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2014, 04:08:00 pm »

Don't have this problem with a prop  %)

Regards  Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:43 pm »

damn right you don't ian, lol

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2014, 08:02:02 pm »

OR a LIFEBOAT !! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: March 18, 2014, 08:37:37 pm »

right there mate....think it's back to lifeboats after this one lol. O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: March 18, 2014, 10:23:53 pm »

Nil illegitum Voith schniderundum.   :-))

Regards  Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: March 19, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »

Nil illegitum Voith schniderundum.   :-))

on Ians perfect translation of the situation into latin that I was myself trying to put into words, I have indeed redesigned the aft car deck in order to fit the servos at 030 position to the Voith unit.....not pretty but this can all be disguised by vehicles on the deck and also made watertight in the end.......but just thought I'd put some photos of the redesign so far.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2014, 06:36:18 pm »

and the first part of the watertight flush deck hatches have been made this afternoon. with the diagram self explanatory.

The parts attached to the actual hatch covers will be attached tomorrow.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2014, 11:25:45 am »

started with the midships hatch.......easier as a straight quadrilateral to mark out.............first marked the corners where the deck uprights are positioned within the hatch combing onto the hatch top, and then turned the top over and remarked it on the underside to get the exact positions of the combing drops which are attached to the hatch top ( are you all following me, lol)........

then I redrew the lines which the combing drops would take, cut pre slices 4mm ply and glues in place with 2 part epoxy.....hopefully this will now fit perfectly into the hole in the deck...............I said hopefully because it usually never does and slight trimming with a sander is needed.......but hey ho...........I am not a brain surgeon so can work to the nearest inch, lol

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:39 am »

and after slight adjustments the hatch now fits like a glove.

now onto the complicated one at the stern?????

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »

the aft hatch has now been laid with the down drops that fit into the grooves made by the combings in the hull recess.....I laid this out on a flat surface and weighted it down with old batteries so that it wouldn't twist and warp when the glue was drying. and then the strips of ply were glued and held with clips until well cured ...it fits well first go but needs a little trimming to fit perfectly......will do that this evening whilst watching tv.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2014, 12:19:19 pm »

have now sealed around the base plate for the Voith schnieder units to stop any chance of ingress of water around the units, and fitted the retaining boxes for the servos to operate the joysticks on the units.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »

then it was a case of fitting the superstructures temporarily and also cutting the hole in the top of the wheel house so thet the upper deck can be fitted..........position as shown by the grp piece removed. to do this, I drilled around the area to be cut out, and then reamed out using the side of the drill bit.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2014, 03:58:52 pm »

spent today drilling all the little holes for the windows, doors and access through the main superstructure to the for'ard Voith unit.

In hind sight I should have drilled and reamed out the windows before I cut the hole in the roof of the wheelhouse.....would have been less flexing whilst drilling the windows.....aw well, you live and learn.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2014, 02:22:00 pm »

I have finally worked out where and how the cabins go on the lower car dack and the upper decks and so have  now been able to glue the main car deck down using clips and old batteries...............I used aliphatic wood to wood glue which is waterproof  and will be left to set until tonight. it looks more like a container ship at the moment than a car ferry, but all that weight will keep the deck from lifting. meanwhile I'll start measuring for the lower inner cabin....a lot will have to be done to the model, detailing wise before the next layer goes on so will be slow progress from now on.as quite a bit of the detailing goes under the shelter of the next deck and will be inaccessible once the next deck goes on.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »

managed to get some marking out done today to seat the inner lower car deck cabins.
it's a methodical way when space is at a premium but with the use of 6"  & 9" steel rules plus trusty engineers squares plus a 12" rule, managed to find centres and then mark out the positions for the cabin and bulkhead.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.