Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173739 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #450 on: January 19, 2015, 03:15:31 pm »

they're all in there somewhere, lol.....just letting the RTV rubber set and cure before I dismantle most of the boxes.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #451 on: January 19, 2015, 07:44:43 pm »

Better than any book is this  O0

So - what would you recommend for a newbie to this moulding lark then Neil? I guess Tiranti would be my port of call for supplies, but what exactly would I be asking them for? {:-{

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:05 pm »

May I just say that it appears that sadly Neil will NOT be able to reply or add to this thread due to recent happenings.My apologies if I have received the wrong information.
   I would stress that it is NOTHING to do with his health
Those of you who can contact him please do so that he can explain for himself.
Cheers
Mick F

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #453 on: January 19, 2015, 08:25:26 pm »

THAT'S rather worrying Mick.

I am unable to contact him directly, but I do send him my very best wishes and hope that he is OK.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: January 19, 2015, 09:25:09 pm »

Rottweiler........you have a PM from me  %)...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2015, 05:46:50 pm »

Well folks,

I am back after serving my penal sentence of 30 days in Jankers, and am actually amazed at the amount of building work I have done on the model and housework I have too, lol.

Never knew how time consuming writing a build log was, and can now understand why some eminent members only ever post to contradict others,and don't get down to building anything themselves. Lol

With this in mind, this post will be the last on this thread that I will make as it would take me too long to write the catch ups from where I left off, to where I  am now. However should anyone wish to read what has been done to the model in the last 30 days, then they can go to here.....   

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1974468&page=16#post30550244

And here.....

http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t701p100-jupiter-a-caledonian-macbrayne-ferry#8937

And if they have anything they wish to ask me, they can either email or PM me on here or ask on the other two forums.

I am now going to slide into a life of obscurity.

However, I would just like to tell you all a little story and happening in my life, that happened a few years ago and which until now only very few of my closest friends have known.

I  had written a good number of articles, both as reviews and freelance of scratch build models for model boating magazines, when an editor of one of them, rang me up one day and asked if it was true that I was out of work and looking for something different.It was also after I had helped Frank Hinchliffe develop and design his first 3 model kits for Mountfleet Models.

The answer of yes, prompted him to tell me that as yet not known in public circles he was going to retire within a period of time, and wondered, because of my style of writing, and my educated background and considerable knowledge of model boating, yachting ( because of where I lived in Fleetwood) and other such matters, whether I would like to be the next editor. of the magazine. I sadly had to decline as I told him that Hemmell Heampstead where the magazine was based at the time, was far too far from Fleetwood and I couldn't even consider re locating. Also I had never had anything in the way of editorial skills nor computer skills to do such a job.

He told me that he would be my mentor until and after his retirement, and it was a changing world in which I would probably be able to live at home and commute just once a week or fortnight to the "office".

Sadly at the time and my family circumstances I didn't feel brave enough to take the plunge into uncertainty and declined his offer.

I now think back and in hind site wonder where both I and others would be today, had I not taken that fresh leap into the unknown. I wonder for others what it feels like to know that they were second choice.

So the purpose of this little but true tale is.......If you get the chance to do something new, out of your comfort zone and completely alien to you,......TAKE IT...........you don't know how it will turn out and how you can influence your own and other's lives that you come into contact with along life's highway.

And finally I would just like you to ponder over a collection of 3 quotes that I have had in my mind for years after a debacle I had with some church goers once, many years ago.............

“Those who plead their cause in the absence of an opponent can invent to their heart's content, can pontificate without taking into account the opposite point of view and keep the best arguments for themselves, for aggressors are always quick to attack those who have no means of defence.”
― Christine de Pizan

And this one from Noel Coward......

“It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.”
― Noël Coward

"A man cannot make comment to influence others if he has not  firstly made sure his own life is in order and beyond scrutiny."
- Anon

All three of these quotes remind me of a word called Hypocrisy!

Happy modelling folks............I will be around occasionally.

And thanks for the support I have received from my friends on here.........you ALL  know who you are.

Cheers.,

Neil.

TOPIC THREAD NOW CLOSED  as far as I am concerned!

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #456 on: February 18, 2015, 06:43:11 pm »

Don't really know what happened here, but I enjoyed your build very much and will follow it elsewhere. Thanks for sharing!
All the best!
Hama

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #457 on: February 18, 2015, 07:05:34 pm »

So  there you go folks.This forum has lost one of its best contributers,  in a man who not only knows his stuff,but is very willing to share it with each and everyone.He has always been a great help to me,and over the many years I have known him,has become a good friend,and as for myself,I am PROUD, to have him as a friend.Neil is a one off,and long may he be so.
I hope the one person on here who knows who he is, is feeling very smug with himself.I emphasize,it is NOT, Martin or any of the Mods,but the one person knows full well who he is
If I am banned from here so be it,I have not contributed a lot as I am not a modeller with any building skills,but what little I do have I have been helped by this page.
Mick F

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #458 on: February 18, 2015, 07:11:20 pm »

The one person should be the one leaving
Not Neil.
Not any sort of contribution compared with Neil
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stavros

« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2015, 08:25:18 pm »

Well  i  am totally DISGUSTED with this as I and I'll guarantee a lot are not members of the groups that have been mentioned....thanks a lot you moron who causd Neil to do this

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: February 18, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »

I too am disappointed, not personally as I can follow, join & talk with Neil at a new WEB location :-))...however I am disappointed for MBM and more so any new member joining who will not have the pleasure of viewing such build threads from this builder based on years of experience

Neil... %) just in case the new WEB site requires a referee when joining....could I use your name please  O0...see you in the new place.... Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2015, 09:23:54 pm »

I am another one sorry to see this happen :((  Neil has given me a lot of help and advice for my preference to the older style lifeboats, casting my own fittings etc.  Again I will follow your builds and advice elsewhere and hope to meet up with you soon and have that cup of tea we never got around to having O0
Graham

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:28 pm »

I too will miss him & of course his wonderful build threads lumps & all. To say he was generous with his help & time is an understatement. In one of the things he did for me, he went out & bought me my lifeboat crew & mailed them to me far away in Canada before he was paid even. Many times he has given me a lot of help on the phone & by Email as well. I am not aware what transpired to him to be given the suspension ( a stiff one too ) but I personally ask the mods to fix if, knowing Neil as I do it would not have been one sided. Lets bury the pride & ego's at least this once & get one of our best members back where he belongs, To be fair we all have rough edges & when we are pushed too far we all react. Neil has always called a spade a spade of which there is far too little of these days, the thought & word police are everywhere. It is well past time that the long suffering MAJORITY stood up & fought back. Mick B.   
Mick B.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #463 on: February 18, 2015, 11:15:53 pm »

I too am bewildered   :(( :(( and could say a lot but won't, click on the bottom link in Neil's post and lo and behold he is a Moderator.  :o :o :o
This beggars the question why is he  held in higher esteem elsewhere O0 O0  and not here, so why in heavens name would he come back  <:( <:( <:(

At the end of the day NO ONE is indispensable, reading between Neil's lines, Model Boats Magazine features in here somewhere??

If we called a spade a spade, there would be no need to come to conclusions, make assumptions etc, correctly or incorrectly as it would be plain what has been said.

Political correctness just doesn't cut it anymore. <:( <:( <:(
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2015, 11:25:55 pm »

I think it is a bit unfair to equate Martin and the moderators with 'thought police.' Martin puts a huge amount of personal effort in keeping this site up and running for all our benefit and has to deal with difficult people and situations. He certainly has my support even if some people seem to have a problem with this and prefer to make unconsidered comments without knowing all the facts.
Colin

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #465 on: February 19, 2015, 12:14:27 am »

I have already exonerated Martin and the Mods, and the facts that people are drawing conclusions from, have already been listed  by Neil above.Methinks ,that someone is aiming to get THIS thread locked before all catch on ?
You can see for yourself the popularity that Neil has on here by the support now,and the many THOUSANDS of   replies to his postings and build logs.
I know the facts as they stand.AND I am fully aware of the guilty person,and as a matter of principle I will NOT reveal his name under any circumstances.
The Honorable thing to do would be for that person to resign from the forum quietly,but I cannot see that happening.
With that,unless any further comment is made directly about me is the end of my discussion on the whole sordid affair.
Thanks for your support guys.
Mick F.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #466 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:33 am »

Rottweiler...if I could refer to my copy of "Grammar for Lawyers".....[which infuriated certain members some years back]...to suggest of one doing 'an honourable deed' also requires that...that person must be honourable in the first place .....I rest my case..... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #467 on: February 19, 2015, 01:44:00 am »

Well said, both of you, Mick and Derek.
 :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Ardnave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #468 on: February 19, 2015, 05:35:39 am »

Neil,
I will catch up with your interesting and informative build elsewhere  :-))
All the best

Clark

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #469 on: February 19, 2015, 05:48:42 am »

Well said, both of you, Mick and Derek.
 :-))

Agree also  :-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #470 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:39 am »

I would say as I was the member that used the phrase or words( though & word police ) that no where did I mention Martin or the mods, & I think you knew well what I was pointing at. We are getting to the point where you need a Lawyer standing beside you before opening your mouth especially when that statement has any racial or political overtones just to name just two of the many items we could add to that list of items on that list. There was a time we have had free speech, in my book sadly it is long gone. That creates a sad state of affairs No one raised an issue about what was said & most of us went back to what it was that we did. Nobody can make a law that will make me like certain people & I hope to die that way. To get to the reason Neil was banned it would have been nice to see what caused the reasons in the first place, Then we could have used our collective judgment & make up our own minds, wrong or right. Right now what have we  got ?, Lots of rumours that do not help anybody to come to their own conclusion. In the middle of this is one of our best members that has done more to help than any body but our mods & MARTIN. I personally would like to see those involved Fix their differences, & just not because I am missing a great build by one of the best builders to ever grace our Forum. Mick B,.

Mick B.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #471 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:11 am »

I too will deeply miss Neil's contributions. Having worked along side him as a Moderator of another model site, it has always been a real pleasure to log in and read what he has been up to. He is without doubt one of the best.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #472 on: May 10, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

I'm back, and have had two months to think about things, and find that the only people who I have been hurting by not continuing this build are those who were enjoying it, not the persons who I had the spat with, and so I am going to restart the thread.

I won't be catching up on what I have done the last 4 months, but it was mainly fittings and a little deck work but you guys know where the threads have been continuing.............and the build starts basically now that all the fittings have been moulded, and so as soon as I have done some work on the model I'll be posting here.
but just a shot or two taken a month ago of the model as it looked before I started to get the fittings together.

(oooops, nearly forgot how to post some photos, lol {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ )

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #473 on: May 10, 2015, 05:33:36 pm »

however, I would prefer, Martin if the person/s who I had the spat with, please have the courtesy of NOT  posting on any of my threads again unless it is of a helpful and constructive nature, and not just waffle.

Thank you. :-))

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #474 on: May 10, 2015, 05:50:55 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.