Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173729 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:06 pm »

I hope when you saw the photo of piggy, you had your boxing gloves on when you went to bed Neil? (I think they save you scratching your tender skin!) ;D ;D

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2013, 12:03:34 am »

Hmmn?
I am strangely attracted to the thought of a girlfriend that tastes like bacon.

Also I have just had an odd image of Gazou laying there saying "Goodnight miss Piggy, turn the light off Neil"  :o

Dave & Beer

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2013, 08:32:33 am »

think you need to lay off the sauce matey, if it makes you think like that...............I would have thought Pork scratchings would have been more near the mark, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2013, 11:16:53 am »

Dave, would you be dreaming of breakfast in bed then? ;) ;)
Mick F

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:43 pm »

The management regrets a temporary lack of service ....  {:-{

How about some boat stuff Neil before Mick B gets up in Canada ... the class are already getting out of hand  O0

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:56 pm »

haven't done any in days matey.........just had no time sorting "things" out, if ya know what I mean

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2013, 07:42:48 pm »

I am up Dave & feeling better too. Get on with the build Neil I have nothing to do but to watch it right now. Dave I think you have a dirty mind but very interesting, Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

only a tiny bit done recently but have now fitted the false bottom onto the boat. this will allow me to position the twin prop shafts under the counter more easily. it was made from a piece of 15mm ply and has been faired in at the stern, but have now run out of filler so will do the rest, later, and then sanded down. I have no idea as to what paint was used to give it it's Olive Drab green look, but presuming it was brushed enamels I will then sand down to bare wood before sanding sealer and spray paints are used.......it's coming on, and circumstances change next week and so I'll then have a greater time to give it's bigger counterpart, the Jupiter much more time..........yippee.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:31 pm »

next week and so I'll then have a greater time to give

Aren't you forgetting Xmas , the red suit, kids and chimneys? You'll be far too busy ... I would just like a Chant hull please Santa  :}

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2013, 03:38:54 pm »

you mean like this here..........this was me at a kids party, of the staff of the school I used to teach at in Canberra by the side of Lake Burley Griffin, in Canberra, itself in 1976.....things don't change what ever hemisphere we are in, lol

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:39 pm »

Oh yes they do... you dont need the false padding now to fill out the suit!!!!! {-) {-) {-) %% %% :P :P
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

cheeky sod..........you know me too well, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »

I thought it was Rudolph that had the red nose. {-) {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:40 pm »

In thirty four years, I have never noticed that before, lol.......trick oh the light, or may have been sun burn from lack of use of zink block, {-) {-) {-) :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:56 pm »

and I'm still doing it, lol..........just been asked to do the local school kid's party on the 19th, lol....it's great seeing the little one's faces that believe :-))

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2013, 05:40:27 pm »

reminds me of the forgotten Reindeer.Everyone remembers Rudolph the red nosed reindeer,but one who never gets a mention is Henry the BROWN nosed reindeer.He was always pulling Santas sleigh, in the second row behind Rudolph.He could run as fast as Rudolph,but his brakes were no where near as good,hence the brown nose! (think about it lol) Thanks to Mrs Brown for that one.
Father Christmas has a bit of a rival  but this one gives out RNLI flags,and lollipops to the children.

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2013, 05:53:07 pm »

Ho Ho Ho....When you do your santa bit, PLEASE do not try to get down the chimney......Ho Ho Ho  {-)   {-)
trawlerman

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2013, 06:06:38 pm »

I thought you'd dropped off yer perch matey............we ( rach and I ) have had bad coughs for weeks and so have stayed away whilst they improve.

you'd fit into the same suit though...mind you ya'd have to grow yer hair some, lol

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »

Well, back to the build.......have finally got over Christmas and a new year and back to a little model making.........

the Jupiter has had blocks of timber glued to the cross frames to take the centre piece of timber to take the flange for the grp mould.............moukld making is soon to follow.yippeeee...............a legal high at last..........can just smell those vapours,  %% %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »

the start of something BIG..............today I got down to it, ordered my grp resin, gelcoat and matting from Glasplies in Southport and will pick it up after our trip to the Passport pffice in Blackburn...........umph

today made the flange that will form the joint for the two part mould.
For anyone who followed my recent lifeboat builds turn off now, but for those who didn't.....

My Moulds............ when ever I make a mould I ALWAYS  use a mould that is in at least two parts........sometimes 3 or even 4 parts have been used in the past, and although this sort of mould shows mould lines, it makes for far easier extraction of the moulding if you can peel away the parts from the moulding rather than prising the moulding out of a one piece mould.....with resultant damage or deformity to the hull, and damage to the mould which you might use again, as this mould will be.

to facilitate this I use moulds with flanges on them that can be bolted together to hold the mould in one piece for actual moulding.

the flange was today made first in  card to make sure they fit where they touched, and then drawn onto MDF and ply( anything lying around) and then glued together from the three parts to make one complete flange.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »

WAXING UP..

the hull plug is now being given a series of coats of NONE SILICON based release agent wax bought from Glasplies especially to do the job.

please, if you want to attempt a mould yourselves..........DON'T be tempted to use a cheaper type wax polish that you might use for furniture polishing............they almost always contain a silicon and this will quite probably react with the gelcoat when applied giving a rippling or orange peel coat to the mould which will replicate itself on the moulding and all your hard work preparing a good plug will be for nowt

I will probably give this plug 8 - 10 coats of wax over the next day or so.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »

the plug is now ready to mould.......I attached the flange to the backbone of the boat today, firstly fixing at both ends with screws. the large one going through to the center bar of timber was put in purely to hold the flange upright as the weight of it was tending to pull it over and away from the keel.....no mysterious point there at all.

the flange screws were then covered in moulder's plastecine to aid the removal of the flange from the first moulded half. and then the flange was backed up from behind with lumps of plastecine, and a few on the moulding side just to keep the flange in place initially...........

once the flange had been backed up, the gaps on the hull between keel and flange were filled with more plastecine to give a mould with no gaps.

tomorrow before moulding, the plug will be given a coating of PVA release agent, just to make sure everything separates later.

now on to moulding, and hopefully the gell coat and first half will be carried out tomorrow.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2014, 08:04:09 pm »

Hi Neil

Great to see your progress with the plug prep! Looking forward to watching the next stages as the mould takes shape.  :-))

Trust this finds you well. Been busy up here............. coughs and colds etc!  <*<

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »

Hi Andrew, things have finally settled at home personally and I now feel a new impetus to get into the workshop without worrying about other things..........will call you in the next day or so for a chat, about life but hopefully I will be able to start pulling a few moulds out of the mould for us by next week...first side of the mould will be made tomorrow, and then the second half the day after.......be curing by the weekend with any luck.

How are you, and are you busy at work.

I took the kids up to Erskine and Oban a couple of weekends ago.................chucked it down all weekend, but still good to get up to the Holy land

Speak to you soon.

neil.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2014, 08:40:18 pm »

Hi Neil

Glad things have settled down for you. I'm fine thanks, had a cold that won't go away! Annoying at the best of times but particularly when you have taken a week of annual leave!! I'm in studio the next couple of days doing a gameshow pilot programme so will be clutching multiple packs of Hall's Soothers. This month isn't too busy work wise so have had a chance to catch up around the house, some modelling too when I can. I'm finishing off a homemade Vacform unit to help me vacform a particularly difficult part for my car ferry the Caledonia. Will let you know how that goes!

I'll try and give you a call during one of our studio breaks in the next couple of days. Glad you made it North, even if the weather was mince. Oban is lovely even in the rain! And of course lots of CalMac activity too! :-)) :-))

Speak soon.

Andrew 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.