Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173975 times)

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »

Neil what do you fasten the wood to the grp with is it 2 psrt epoxy or araldite

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2014, 08:30:37 pm »

Wasn't advocating using gears Andrew, if you look at the links Bluebird and I posted they supply more than just gears and in fact there is a section relating purely to timing belts and pulleys. We were using them in industry long before gropener used them for toys.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »

Neil what do you fasten the wood to the grp with is it 2 psrt epoxy or araldite

two part epoxy Charlie......araldite always comes out too stringy and messy for me

neil.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »

Hi Ian

Sorry, I was typing out loud so to speak! I had been looking at the links you both posted and at the range of 90 degree bevel gear housings as well as the timing belts wondering if they were an option to place the motor on it's side and still drive the belt.

There is of course no need to sync the units to the motor, however the teeth in the belt provide drive without being under undue tension.  I guess the design was to relieve stress on the motor bearing. The teeth on the propeller housing are an integral part of the moulding so a belt with that spec will be required.

Thanks for the links, a plan will unfold I'm sure. :-))

Regards

Andrew

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2014, 01:27:46 pm »

Another to consider and not as "Gratey" as straight gears is worm and wheel? Also, reason for mentioning round belt and pulleys is that by adding a couple of small diameter turn around pulleys, the drive motor axis can sit horizontally.

Regards   Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:54 pm »

sorry guys..........but  the whole of the Voith unit would have to be de constructed and rebuilt for use with geared drive........something I am certainly not even contemplating. neil

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2014, 08:42:07 pm »

I have just about finished the support beams for the two decks, and have been putting in beams to support the combing for the top wheelhouse and bridge today. I also constructed the wheel house out of 6mm mdf and obeche front. then tilting the table on my band saw I cut the rounded shape of the front of the wheelhouse. eventually it will be clad with cartridge paper to highlight the positions of the window and door recesses, and then moulded in GRP.

it is positioned in the photos just about where it is on the model

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2014, 11:36:09 am »

Just seen "Bauer s" ad for the Voith Neil. With the new tech. drive motor it looks shallower and with a new motor mounting bracket, longer belt and a "Pancake" motor the height could be reduced but the sticky up control bits in the centre of the unit are still a problem.

Regards  Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »

thanks Ian.....think I have it sussed now........been onto the links and found a belt, and am just starting to seat the holder ring for the VSPu and it will give me head room for the UJ on the top and allow me to invert the motor and fix to a bracket.

started that process this morning. thanks all for your help

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2014, 09:23:48 pm »

I have been procrastinating for too long now on getting the VSPu's set into the hull, and so decided to do so today, starting with the stern unit........also it will give me a better idea of what I have to do motor wise for the unit.

started by marking out the circle to be cut from the grp mould, and drilled the perimeter of the hole with a 2mm bit...........and then using the side of the drill bit as a router I joined the holes and made a bigger hole.

Once this was done I fit the locating ring for the unit, and it fit where it touched.........so out came the dentists  reamers and I cut the grp back for the ring to fit in properly.
They will be set in with polyester filler tomorrow.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »

same was done to the bow unit, and then it was time to get out the motors.........the nearest I can find in my stock of motors is a little torpedo 300 12volt which under no load turns around 3000 rpm at 12v........just wondering if it will be beefy enough to turn the Voith, or whether it might be down the road of a brushless which is a lot squatter.........the units don't need a great deal of revs and don't work on a speed controller....they run at a constant speed, it's the pitch of the blades that gives the speed and direction in the end, so both motors working on micro on/of switches will be order of the day. the torpedo's are pictured with the 540 that came with the unit.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2014, 10:27:26 pm »

Hi Neil

Great to see the business end of the Voith units now protruding from the hull. Brilliant!

The headroom for the rear unit looks good from what I can see in the pictures. Very neat chain drilling Neil. :-))

The Bridge unit is looking great too, would never have thought of your method of cutting the sweeping angle required.

Looking forward to the next stages of your build.

Regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2014, 10:43:26 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:21 am »

:o..       .'so out came the dentists  reamers and I cut back for the ring to fit in properly'

Goodness  :o.....looking good Neil......but about all I can say I a bl##dy glad you are not my dentist......... {-) ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2014, 07:48:19 am »

:o..       .'so out came the dentists  reamers and I cut back for the ring to fit in properly'

Goodness  :o.....looking good Neil......but about all I can say I a bl##dy glad you are not my dentist......... {-) ......Derek

wish I earned their money matey {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:04 am »

Neil,
the rear voith motor can you not look to see is you can rotate the unit slightly and position the motor so that
when it sits above the deck it just so happens someone has parked a vehicle there  :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:33 am »

That is the other possibility as a last straw Gingyer................don't really want to do that but it might come to an Eddie Stobart truck having a false bottom in the trailer or tractor  unit, lol  :embarrassed:

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2014, 10:52:06 am »

hi ya Neil

here's a thought for ya and a possibility and you may have already thought of it; is there enough room for you to suspend the motor underneath the motor mount and use spaces between the motor mount and the face of the motor to give you the distance that you require to allow you to get the belt in - and around the main drive.  Or is there not enough room between the bottom of the boat and the motor mount?

The other alternative could you laminate another bulk head in next to the unit and mount the motor on that? with some form of tensioning for the belt.

aye

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:43 pm »

I'll have a look at that john, as I can make the spacers from plasticard, but in the meantime Ondrives have been looking for me and have  some of the longer ones in stock or delivery in 6 - 8 weeks which isn't bad as the voiths will be the last things to go in anyway.

Today have been making card templates for the decks and have transferred them onto 1.5mm ply for the car deck and foc'sle deck and 2mm for the flying bridge upper deck.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2014, 10:17:03 am »

Now, it's beginning to look like a ship.......all three decks have been added and are in the relative correct positions so I can get a "feel" for the model and how to progress...........next job will be to cut out the access holes for the interior gear and workings......watch this space, lol

inertia

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:11 am »

Neil
PM sent ref Voith operation.
DM

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »

and received Dave.....many thanks for the input and info..........will be back to you in the near future. neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2014, 06:44:27 pm »

spent an hour or so making an adjustable bracket to invert the motor ( sadly the moulded plastic one wouldn't allow the motor drive sprocket to sit low enough to line the belt up with the main drive sprocket on the Voith..............

the bracket works fine, but sadly the motor still won't sit into the hull.........now it's too b****y low and would need a hole cutting out of the bottom of the hull................errr.......not a great idea or success, lol................so the only other thing is to spend some money on a longer belt. and mount the motor independently of the unit.........see what throws out tomorrow when I phone the manufacturers of the belt that's supplied with the Voith unit. the whole thing actually sits straight and the belt runs true ( had it under motor power in the workshop) but it is all loose at the moment and looks a bit heath robinson to tell the truth
neil.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »

Ya need someone with a lathe Neil. The drive line on the main pulley needs lifting.

Regards  Ian.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2014, 09:15:39 pm »

nah mate......just need longer beltz..........can't be that hard to find..........going to contact the manufacturer of the original belts tomorrow as I have look on their web site and they do do longer ones.
neil.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.