Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.  (Read 173976 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUPITER, A Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry....My new project.
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:41 pm »

the cabins have been marked with card to highlight the positions of the windows and doors for the ship now and tomorrow will be sealed with cellulose sanding sealer and then polished up ready for moulding in grp.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2014, 12:57:09 am »

did a bit of actual modelling last night rather than just slogging away preparing plugs....made the wondows for the superstructure ready for moulding........once the mouldings come out of the rubber moulds, the centres which are at present blanked off will be  cut out to leave the frames nicely reliefed....all made from plasticard

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »

and todayYippeee..my replacement belts for re positioning the Voith Schnieder motors came........plenty long enough to put the motor virtually anywhere in the hull. lol....just the job.......perseverance paid off in the end.
thanks all for your comments on that one. neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2014, 05:34:31 pm »

well, sadly after paying 40 quid for three belts....................the motor I had in line for powering the Voith has absolutely no power or torque......so left with three long belts, no motor to power them and fed up to the teeth..........bah humbug... >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2014, 10:57:55 am »

Hi Neil,

Just started the journey home. Managed to get onto the WiFi at Budapest airport. Been a good trip, very tired now though. Longest day was 14 hours the rest around 11hours. Looking forward to a weeks leave once I'm home.

That's disappointing that the motors are not powerful enough. With the longer belt added would the origional motor work? The plug for the wheelhouse looks great. Looking forward to seeing the resulting moulds. Once I'm home and rested I'll give you a call. Trust this finds you well.

Regards

Andrew

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2014, 05:37:14 pm »

well, sadly after paying 40 quid for three belts....................the motor I had in line for powering the Voith has absolutely no power or torque......so left with three long belts, no motor to power them and fed up to the teeth..........bah humbug... >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o

Neil   P.M. sent.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2014, 08:12:06 pm »

eureka......have found a small motor with bags of torque.........so have soldered  a tube onto the output shaft to take the larger inner diameter of the sprocket for the belt............and will then organise a mounting block to fix the motor too. I have aklso soldered new leads onto the motor and covered them with epoxy to set in place, so that the wires wont fall off.......epoxy is a good insulator for such things.

also have made the flanges for the superstructures, fitted those to the superstructures, filled with plastecine and they are now ready for making moulds ..........ahhh, back to the fibreglassing......things are getting nearer.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »

not done anything since my last post as the kids are on half term hols......but I did buy these little chaps and chapesses off ebay the other day.cost me 11 quid for just over 100 resin figures needing painting......and at approx. 1:48th scale will fit admirably onto Jupiter and bring it alive..........hey ho..........a painting I will go, lol.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2014, 05:23:29 pm »

Looks like an orgy  {-)  - woops gonna get sensored now
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2014, 05:41:54 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2014, 05:53:11 pm »

They look good Neil.
Are they going to have names
like a certain Tyne ferry passengers?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: February 20, 2014, 07:51:47 pm »

Well done Neil,
I had an nearly bid for them as a friend wanted some figures for his model of SS Nanking? I forgot the time when they were due to finish.  Glad I didn't end bidding against you :-))
Graham

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

that would have been embarrassing, Grahem.....I plan to put one of each into a mould eventually, nudge nudge wink wink, lol O0 O0

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:06 pm »

Scale them up a bit then we could use them as survivor's for the 45' Watsons :-))
Graham

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »

Scale them up a bit then we could use them as survivor's for the 45' Watsons :-))
Graham

now where could I get one of these 3d printers, lol

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:18 pm »

I think you can buy them  %) %) %) %) :o :o :o
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2014, 11:38:49 pm »

I think you can buy them  %) %) %) %) :o :o :o

hate to think of the price, raaarty........would need another mortgage I think, lol.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2014, 06:49:56 pm »

needed a break from all the hassle of the rear motor.......and still not solved but had a little bit of a spurt today and so have just laid up the gelcoat on the first side of the two superstructures..........get the matting laid up tomorrow, or maybe a first layer even tonight, see how it goes...neil

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2014, 10:31:58 pm »

Hi Neil

Sorry I've not had a chance to catch up. I'm in the middle of the next series of Eggheads at the moment. I don't 'bob up for air' until next Sunday when I have a weeks leave booked. :}

Trust you're all well. I'll keep looking in when I can to see your progress this week.

Regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2014, 10:58:37 pm »

Hi Andrew,.....first bit of the boat I've done in two weeks, and sadly I'm coming to the conclusion that the 40 quid for the longer belts is a waste of money as the much smaller motors needed to fit under the deck don't have anywhere near the torque or revs needed to spin the voiths...............so it's looking like I am going to have to disguise the motor supplied above deck.....probably inside the body of something like a truck or coach as deck cargo......bit of a pain but can see no solution........other than brushless and then that mean finding a brushless motor with exactly the same dia output shaft to take the sprocket, and also mix the electronics for two different motors on one boat............something else that I myself personally can't be bothered doing ( please no suggestions as to how I could, as am at the end of my patience, motor wise, and any more feed back will only confuse and cause more stress, which I cannot handle at the moment.
cheers, neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:17 pm »

got the first side of each superstructure laid up this morning and also the rubber moulds for the window frames..........so things moving on slowly.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: March 04, 2014, 04:30:55 pm »

all moulds now ready and finished for waxing and taking moulds out of............problem is, half a roll of my matting has disappeared somewhere, so will have to go and by a couple of meters to make the cabins with...ceste la vie.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
A TALE OF WOE.
« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:02 pm »

ACT IN HASTE, REPENT AT LEASURE.......

always wondered what my mother used to mean by that until I started model making at a very young age...........and today it came back to haunt me......

I Didn't spend enough time stippling the matting and resin together into the gelcoat on the superstructure moulds........to tell the truth, I made an 'bottom' of them, but rather than remake I cut out the air blisters that had formed between gel coat and matting and have filled those areas with some more liquid gelcoat resin............However before I picked out the blisters to reveal the hollows, and using a metal scribe to do this, I gave a coat of wax all over the mould......this is to stop the new gel coat from sticking to the old stuff and needing a good sanding off, instead of now being able to use my pencil sander just to cut down the new gel to the level of the walls of the existing mould....... all seems ok at the moment, as the gel is going off.......will sand down later today when it has cured........put in a little more catylist than normally used for the process to give it a "kick".

sadly there were some small, and some not so small blisters....................

Hate it when a plan doesn't come together. lol

cdsc123

« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2014, 04:39:56 pm »

I am interested to know more about the gelcoat you using in the repaired areas. Does it contain a wax or other sealing agent to allow an air cure?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: March 05, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »

just the normal gelcoat that I use as the surface cover for all my moulds cdsc..it's very seldome that I have ever needed to repair a mould, but I rushed these through as I hadn't done anything for awhile, and mucked them up..........have used the gel before for repairs on small mouldings and works well, given a couple of days to cure at air temp in a warm garage.

neil.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.