Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Mayhem Film Club  (Read 55352 times)

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re:Mayhem Film Club
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »

I did,nt like this first time round,..but after watching it again, its grown on me,...Versus...by Ryuhei Kitamura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRfhuVlbM-4
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2012, 02:00:53 pm »

This week, I watched "The Long Memory" with John Mills - did he ever make a bad film?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044849/

,.... also "The password is courage" with Dirk Bogarde - an adaptation of the Sergant-Major Charles Coward story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056335/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »

"This week, I watched "The Long Memory" with John Mills - did he ever make a bad film?!"

Don't remember  ;D ;D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
The Gift Horse
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2014, 08:06:28 pm »

Watched the Gift Horse tonight which I haven't seen from start to finish for a couple of years now.  Great film but doesn't seem to get the attention that the likes of some of its contemporaries such as The Cruel Sea and In Which We Serve get.  But I did notice something I haven't picked up before and wondered if it was just a mistake or their was a reason for it.  On two occasions the gift horse is seen entering and leaving harbour and there is stock footage in the background of an Implaccable or Illustrious type carrier. But the thing is the footage is transposed - the island is on the port side.   Anybody shed any light on why? 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re:Mayhem Film Club
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »

( Topics merged )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Gift Horse
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2014, 08:22:34 am »

Watched the Gift Horse tonight which I haven't seen from start to finish for a couple of years now.  Great film but doesn't seem to get the attention that the likes of some of its contemporaries such as The Cruel Sea and In Which We Serve get.  But I did notice something I haven't picked up before and wondered if it was just a mistake or their was a reason for it.  On two occasions the gift horse is seen entering and leaving harbour and there is stock footage in the background of an Implaccable or Illustrious type carrier. But the thing is the footage is transposed - the island is on the port side.   Anybody shed any light on why?
The usual reason for this kind of transposition is that the stock footage had the ship pointing in the wrong direction.  The film is flipped over to give the cinematographer the composition he needs. A classic example is in the original documentry "Memphis Belle"  (not the recent feature film) a damaged B-17 is shown and to match the aircraft in other shots the film has been flipped.  Unfortunately this includes the tail number which reads backwards.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2014, 08:34:32 am »

If you like spotting flipped footage, look out for the documentary on Grant tanks.  I am fairly sure that the hull gun was always built on the same side, but then again......
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:18 am »

Two of my favourite films, 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron used simple 'triple glass' lens' ( like a kaleidoscope ) to multiply the number of aircraft in flight.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »

Two of my favourite films, 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron used simple 'triple glass' lens' ( like a kaleidoscope ) to multiply the number of aircraft in flight.

Very similar as footage from "633 Squadron" was used for the later "Mosquito Squadron".  I watched the Nicole Kidman film "Australia" (pretty good movie) to find big chunks of "Tora, Tora, Tora." standing in for the Japanese air raid on Darwin.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Mayhem Film Club
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:04 pm »

Watched The Lego Movie over the weekend.... loved it!

Good cop / Bad cop (Liam Neeson) Very Funny.... "if that's alright with you?"   {-) {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2015, 04:36:12 pm »

U571 is on the telly, I hate that film of SO many levels!  >:-o

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2015, 04:44:42 pm »

U571 is on the telly, I hate that film of SO many levels!  >:-o
I completely agree. I was desperately hoping that they actually would sink the submarine.  It did, however, have one good line in it.  Someone asks the Captain of the American sub "How deep will she go?"  he replies "Oh, She'll go all the way to the bottom if we let her!".

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »

Yes, that is a good line!   {-)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2015, 06:32:19 pm »

...just reading the book, The Imitation Game, so thought I'd watch it  (U-571) again. If you read the credits at the end, the Americans, didn't actually capture enigma gear until 1944, and according to the book which is anything but a novel, the chaps at Bletchley Park, could deal with Enigma traffic within a day by 1944...oh well, Hollywood, what can you say. Great book by the way, but more applicable to university level maths, physics, or philosophy students. The movie should be good as well.

Robert

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2015, 07:03:42 pm »

...just reading the book, The Imitation Game, so thought I'd watch it  (U-571) again. If you read the credits at the end, the Americans, didn't actually capture enigma gear until 1944, and according to the book which is anything but a novel, the chaps at Bletchley Park, could deal with Enigma traffic within a day by 1944...oh well, Hollywood, what can you say. Great book by the way, but more applicable to university level maths, physics, or philosophy students. The movie should be good as well.

Robert

I got talking to one of the 'code-crackers' when I visited Bletchley Park and she admitted to me that at times they were even quicker- at one time they actually decoded the messages quicker than the Germans were!
I know that one of the ships that actually captured an Enigma machine was HMS Dunedin and I think the other might have been Bulldog.
I'm looking forward to seeing The Imitation Game... :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2015, 09:30:05 pm »

Seen it. Brilliant film. And watched the Hawkins film. Now if I could stay awake during U571 I might find out what the Americans didn't do!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2015, 09:39:33 pm »

Watched  Assembly the other day on YouTube.  And brotherhood. Erm Assembly is truly superb.
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:54 am »

Watched apocalypse now, generation war, the iron cross and they died with their boots on. What a weekend !
full time penguin

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2015, 08:57:58 am »

...have seen The Imitation Game now, very well done, but almost finished the book and as usual the film leaves out quite abit, but still, very well done. Have also seen  The Theory of Everything, and was glad to see the lead actor receive a BAFTA last night for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking.

Unbroken is quite good as well with the lead role being played by another Brit who also won a BAFTA as best newcomer.

Looking forward to holidays in Madiera end of march!

Robert

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2015, 10:26:03 am »

I watched U571 yesterday. A rather far fetched movie churned out by the yanks. A U boot stranded on the surface in the Bay of Biscay. The yanks sent one of their subs 'disguised' as a U boat from the US mainland to intercept and capture it to get the Enigma cypher machine.

Of course they were successful and got there before the German rescue ships that were sent out from France- as we know the coast of the US is closer to the Bay of Biscay than France is %)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2015, 10:34:54 am »

Watched  Assembly the other day on YouTube.  And brotherhood. Erm Assembly is truly superb.

Assembly?
 This one? = https://youtu.be/ggpoFDnywWc

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:34 pm »

Just seen a fantastic trailer for perhaps one of most incredible stories of turning defeat into a victory.
On July 21st the film 'Dunkirk' premieres and the footage looks very good. Definitely looks worth a trip to the cinema.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2017, 01:04:40 pm »

Hi Chaps
Watched an old WW2 one, Corvette K225 with Randolph Scott.
Great Film.
Yes I have booking in for the DUNKIRK new movie.

Canabus

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2017, 09:35:43 pm »

Just watched that film 'Corvette K225' Canabus, that gun crew couldn't hit a barn door... from inside the barn!

Funny how Robert Mitchum popped up for literally 6 seconds at the end?!!

https://youtu.be/1MBzb5q8khY

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2017, 12:54:52 am »

Hi Martin
The crew's are old gunfights from the Western Movies!!!!!!
Canabus
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.