Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Mayhem Film Club  (Read 55294 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Film Club
« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2020, 06:48:21 am »

Anyone see Active Measures last night?  It was on Freeview London Live and Virgin 159.  It is a documentary about a certain person named Trump.  Watch it and weep!
regards
Roy

RST

« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2020, 12:55:25 am »

Thanks for the heads-up:  I'm currently half-way through watching it from here...

https://watchdocumentaries.com/active-measures/

...nothing too surprising in it so far yet really.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2020, 07:37:49 am »

Hi RST did you ever see the Horizon documentary called (I think) Cloud Lab?

It was a BBC production but not currently available to watch on iPlayer, just trailers.  It deals with clouds and using Lidar (Radar using laser technology) and goes on to 'weigh' a cloud!  A very ordinary cloud a couple of hundred metres long and about as high weighs in at 4 tons!  By contrast a thunder cloud going up 30,000 feet is in excess of 4,000,000 tons, just thinking of yesterday local downpour!

But whilst out over the Atlantic checking air particles causing dispersal of the sunlight (pollution) found this had got better with the various clean air policies around the world.The unintended consequence was that more sunlight got to the sea warmed it up and we have more hurricanes forming than usual and they have been causing the rather wild weather to get to our shores of recent years.
regards
Roy

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2020, 10:23:18 am »

It always amused me to look up and think there goes another Dreadnaught floating by.
Now try and get rid of that thought!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RST

« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »

Hi RST did you ever see the Horizon documentary called (I think) Cloud Lab?

It was a BBC production but not currently available to watch on iPlayer, just trailers.  It deals with clouds and using Lidar (Radar using laser technology) and goes on to 'weigh' a cloud!  A very ordinary cloud a couple of hundred metres long and about as high weighs in at 4 tons!  By contrast a thunder cloud going up 30,000 feet is in excess of 4,000,000 tons, just thinking of yesterday local downpour!

But whilst out over the Atlantic checking air particles causing dispersal of the sunlight (pollution) found this had got better with the various clean air policies around the world.The unintended consequence was that more sunlight got to the sea warmed it up and we have more hurricanes forming than usual and they have been causing the rather wild weather to get to our shores of recent years.
regards
Roy

...Hi, no, not seen that yet but everything I can find on-line says thunderclouds can be about 1M lb's -which makes it about 450 'odd Te (I'm not good on converting to Tons being brought up metricated) which is well believable and noticing it's ice that creates the static charge rather than rain droplets.  I remember an old "Equinox" documentary years ago called "electric skies" which told some terrifying facts about lightning way back than also.

...I don't talk about climate too much because I'm in oil and gas industry.  But I am striving for a cause more efficient.

I've been watching "The Thick of it" again on Netflix the past few days -they should bring that back!  Without delving in to politics: just imagine Malcolm Tucker and Jamie McDonald's response to things more recently!!!!  Probably just too blue to blue to air -might have just melted the microphone circuits if they even tried to do it now!

Rich

RST

« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2020, 11:29:44 pm »

...currently watching "The Taking of Pelam 123" -the original one I recorded from the other night (original is pretty much never shown hence I never saw it yet).  Don't like the Denzel Washington remakes of things:  Love it when Jack Lemon is showing the Japanese guys round and assumes they don't speak English, then the look on his face when they eventually do, it pretty much exhonerates him as they were equally bad for not acknowledging before and probably just there for the experience anyway!  Can't believe they don't show this movie more often.  I love the iconic style of storytelling -and the cinematography also, nothing beats it.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: August 26, 2020, 12:34:34 pm »

...currently watching "The Taking of Pelam 123" -the original one I recorded from the other night (original is pretty much never shown hence I never saw it yet).  Don't like the Denzel Washington remakes of things:  Love it when Jack Lemon is showing the Japanese guys round and assumes they don't speak English, then the look on his face when they eventually do, it pretty much exhonerates him as they were equally bad for not acknowledging before and probably just there for the experience anyway!  Can't believe they don't show this movie more often.  I love the iconic style of storytelling -and the cinematography also, nothing beats it.

How good was Robert Shaw!  Sadly missed actor. And it was the other side of the odd couple, Walter Matthau not Jack Lemon
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

RST

« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2020, 11:03:40 pm »

How good was Robert Shaw!  Sadly missed actor. And it was the other side of the odd couple, Walter Matthau not Jack Lemon

.....ooof, looking back I typed Lemmon for some reason while I meant Matthau!!!  Sorry.

.....Mr Shaw though: love his work also. He was bad-ass enough not saying much in from Russia With Love.  Would not have liked to meet most of his characters in a dark alleyway!  But he usually had at least one comedy line in every role I've seen in him.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #283 on: August 29, 2020, 12:00:24 am »

" ...currently watching "The Taking of Pelham 123" -the original one I recorded from the other night (original is pretty much never shown hence I never saw it yet).  Don't like the Denzel Washington remakes of things:  Love it when Jack Lemon is showing the Japanese guys round and assumes they don't speak English, then the look on his face when they eventually do, it pretty much exonerates him as they were equally bad for not acknowledging before and probably just there for the experience anyway!  Can't believe they don't show this movie more often.  I love the iconic style of storytelling -and the cinematography also, nothing beats it. "

Yes totally agree, great film remake terrible... despite two great actors!

Some great lines in the original:

- Inspector Daniels?
- I'm Daniels. ( Big black bloke )
- Oh, l, uh... I thought you were a, uh...like a shorter guy. ( expecting a small, white bloke! )

- Achoo! (sneeze)
- Gesundheit!.... ?!!!!   {-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2020, 12:02:51 am »

Watched that new Tom Hanks film this week, Greyhound.

Typical Hollywood story line but some great CGI for model boat builders!

Score:  8/10

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #285 on: August 29, 2020, 12:40:54 am »

....sorry, not to be offensive but I'm fed up of re-living WWII here and our obsession with WWII movies again these days.  It's too much on TV and cinema, one of the things I genuinely like about working abroad and getting back to my apartment that night is if I switch TV on it does not have any WWII on TV each and every night -and across across 4 channels at least.  It's only when I get back to the UK -before I get a sniff of a radio or tv programme again -regular as clockwork though.  Your Greyhound movie looks like yet another WWII obsession.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: August 29, 2020, 04:27:44 am »

I know how you feel, RST. I hate so called “reality” TV shows, so I’ve come up with a radical solution that’s really simple, I don’t watch them.  %)  It works too, I haven’t seen one for years.

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #287 on: August 29, 2020, 08:14:57 am »

SBS 'alternative' channel here has a love of all things Nazi and Hitler.  At least it is a change to all the Gay programs.   I am not against Gays and know several but to ram it down our throats every night, if one were to watch, is to much.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2020, 08:58:16 am »

I know how you feel, RST. I hate so called “reality” TV shows, so I’ve come up with a radical solution that’s really simple, I don’t watch them.  %)  It works too, I haven’t seen one for years.

Peter.

Pure genius. :-))
Just when you think that the TV companies have attained their goal of reaching the lowest possible denominator, and hit the bottom of the barrel, someone turns up with a crowbar to get through the floor of the barrel.
OTOH, there are occasional gems.  Brian Cox explaining the universe, Bethany Hughes doing the eastern Med, any "Would I Lie to You" with Bob Mortimer.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2020, 01:27:29 pm »

Its amazing how the 'realitystars' get 'famous'.  But what gets me is the new strange accent sort of posh Essex!  So self entitled and so little talent.
But I have only seen them in flicking through the channels (looking for gunfire!). So what do I know?  I agree that there is not much more to know about WW2 that can justify a programme.  But no doubt someone will find something
Regards
Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2020, 02:58:35 pm »

In credit to our Australian SBS, I just watched the 3 x 45 minute streamed episodes of the UK presentations ...... The Salisbury Poisonings

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/node/16761

My rating ......9.9/10 for interest  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: August 29, 2020, 06:11:40 pm »

Hi Derek I watched the Salisbury poisonings excellent and well done.  There is a similar well done documentary on the Millionaire case where an army major was accused of cheating.  But as most of us know that, it is the middle of the three episodes which is the most interesting.  It reveals the underworld of quizzing.
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2020, 10:55:21 pm »

....sorry, not to be offensive but I'm fed up of re-living WWII here and our obsession with WWII movies again these days.  It's too much on TV and cinema, one of the things I genuinely like about working abroad and getting back to my apartment that night is if I switch TV on it does not have any WWII on TV each and every night -and across across 4 channels at least.  It's only when I get back to the UK -before I get a sniff of a radio or tv programme again -regular as clockwork though.  Your Greyhound movie looks like yet another WWII obsession.

You're really don't want to watch 'Sony Movies Action' on Monday then....!

Hell Squad
Bomb At Ten:Ten
Desert Legion
Raid On Rommel
Colditz Story
Midway
The Great War
To End All Wars
Pacific Inferno
Allied Armour

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: August 29, 2020, 11:06:31 pm »

Morning Roy......hope your chooks are all well  {-) ......I have subscribed to our SBS for free movie series streamings....they e-mail me with their current selection once a month or so

Totally different to some of the rubbish programs that BrianB6 was mentioning

Have watched 1/2 a dozen in the last year.......each of the ~~40 minute episodes enthralling.......click the box...Watch next Episode really quickly  :-))

I suspect the likes of Murdoch and Foxtel pay television is behind the total range or repeats or rubbish that is offered on our OZ Commercial Stations

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Mayhem Film Club - In which we serve.
« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2020, 04:27:49 pm »

'In which we serve' was on TV just now,.... 6.... 7... 8th time I've watched it?!

Anyway, when the 'Torrin'  is hit by a (very slow) torpedo, old Noel Coward says;

"Stop engines. Midships. Close all watertight doors. Jettison top weight."

What 'top weight' would they 'jettison'?

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: September 11, 2020, 04:30:26 pm »

Depth charges etc  :}
Regards,

Rich

RST

« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2020, 12:55:29 am »

It's war week again, possiby to bolster current affairs?
  • Sink the Bismark! was on -I missed start of it so missed videoing it while I was on a break from work, only caught 30mins or so
  • Battle of the River Plate -video'd it, I have always found it entertaining it since I was young, but I think it is more light-hearted and not very representative
  • I caught a few mins of In Which we Serve the other week, not quick enough to record it on the video again
...They've all been on BBC I think?

Battle of the Bulge and Bridge on the River Kwai (I haven't watched fully it since visiting Kanchanaburi war cemetery and the JEATH museum  and have been left a bit hollow in my life since) is almost constantly repeated.  These are often repeated on channels with adverts, presumably just to fill air time.  As I keep saying we keep looking back in the UK, whereas when I am in Europe (I work and send a lot of time there) they are entirely respectful but keep looking forwards.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2021, 09:40:29 am »

Hi all 2nd. February today  GROUNDHOG DAY!

I am hoping to come through today and start a new tomorrow, too often has this day repeated itself. 

Have I achieved redemption?

I shall know at midnight.
Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:41 am »

Have I achieved redemption?

I shall know at midnight.
Roy

Not unless Redemption is the name of a boat kit. %%

groundhog day will go on for the foreseeable future at least Bill Murray could go out and about  {:-{ :((

chin up Roy we'll get there.

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.