Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dangerous cyclists  (Read 2374 times)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
dangerous cyclists
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:00:27 am »

<:( Went to get a paper this morning, crossing busy road by the crossing when a cyclist went through red light passing on outside of stopped van so I did not see him,he brushed me aside calling me all the names under the sun really shook me up and I am still shaking as I am getting on a bit, try and do some modelling today might carm me down,people should take more care when cycling as it could have been a child or someone who is disabled,happy sailing everybody,Ray. <:( <:( <:(
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: dangerous cyclists
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33:01 am »

Unfortunately I have seen this many a time whilst driving or walking about towns.
I am firmly of the opinion that cyclists do a compulsory test and have 3rd party insurance
and are held to account the same as motorists.

Hopefully if you get some modeling done it will take your mind away from what happened  :-))

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:35:29 am »

:-)) Thanks for that mate feeling a bit better already, I must be a tough old bird,Ray :-)) :-)) :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:01 am »

My pet hate are the cyclists that use pedestrian crossings as a right of way. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
I thought pedestrian meant someone walking. <*< <*< <*<

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:48:16 am »

Stupid pedestrians, interfering with the Speedo warriors,  %)   Don't come to Yorkshire next year until after July, It'll be a two wheeled Nightmare. Muppets dashing about in black speedos and yellow jerseys.

At least you'll have a prominent target to aim at.  :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:40 am »

A week or so ago, a cyclist pulled out in front of me from a side road.  He came out without looking, crossed a Stop sign without stopping and was so suprised to see me he fell of his bike.  Fortunately I was paying attention and manage to avoid running him over and I was doing less than 20 mph.  I got out to see he was OK and he went off on me.  I was all kinds of stupid and of doubtful parentage.  He only calmed down when I told him I was going to call the police and let them decide who was in the right.  I really have nothing against cyclists as such but if they insist on acting stupidly they shouldn't try and blame everyone else.
I'm completely onboard with the idea of making them take a official test and severe penalties for riding without lights.  I mean if I drove around at night without lights they'd throw the book at me.
One law for everyone.!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:19:04 am »

I did the cycling proficiency test when I was at school
but yes there should be stricter penalties for cyclists not using lights, riding badly or wearing helmets.
Like a few have said about jumping red lights..... big fine and points for doing it in a car or on a motorbike so why not for cyclists?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:48 am »

I used to be a lollipop man and cyclists were the bane of my life, everybody should stop for them but they never wanted to stop for others, not all are like it.

Try and calm down Ray, where with a buddy.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:49:02 am »

My pet hate are the cyclists that use pedestrian crossings as a right of way. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
I thought pedestrian meant someone walking. <*< <*< <*<

When I was a lollipop man cyclists used to use my crossing and they are supposed to dismount and push the bike across. Had many a go at folk who just used to ride across.

Si:)

Ned
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:58 am »

:-)) I think I will have to be a bit more careful in future as not all people are considerate on the roads,thanks to members for your posts I am feeling a lot better now,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:49:13 pm »

Might have given the impression that I'm a cyclist hater (Moi ?), not really, It's like every other part of life, every one is tarred with the same brush due to the few idiots.

Conversely, I felt sad for the poor lady motorist who knocked down and killed a cyclist who had jumped red lights, that was the excuse her barrister gave although she was texting at the time.   %)

Regards  Ian.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:53:09 pm »

It's high time that cyclists had compulsory insurance and a license that was enforced - just like the rest of us.
LB

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »

must punish cyclists who do not follow the rules
I propose to confiscate the seat of the bike for eight days to start

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:13 pm »

And for repeat offences, confiscate the rear wheel. :-))

Compulsory License and insurance LB?  Luv it, would be just like Gib is at the moment, miles of road blocks of Cyclists waiting to be checked.  That'll keep em out the way for a while :-))    {-) {-) 

Regards  Ian.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:55 pm »

Shove the pole of your lollipop sign into the front wheel, that will stop them!! <*< <*<

I had an accident a couple of years ago with a cyclist and he lost...... BIG TIME... This moron came hurtling down a footpath, crossed the pavement and rode straight out into the road from between 2 parked cars, didn't slow down at all, well actually his bike did slow down quite suddenly when he hit the wing of my car but he carried on over my bonnet and landed face first in the road... No sympathy for the idiot, had to go to court to get back costs of repairing my car (he had no insurance) Fortunately I had plenty of witnesses but still took a while to sort out..I am all for compulsory insurance, after all I pay it on my car & motorbike...

And to think these people are allowed to breed,  Scary!!!!

Paul..

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »

Hi Ray.
As a cyclist my self I will aoplogise on behalf of he rest of us mature responsible cyclists for the bad experience you had with the two wheeled "idiot".  I have noticed this my self that some riders jump the gun B4 the lights change, I just look at them shake my head and wonder why.  There is an add on TV just now advising cyclists to stop at red so the council have obviously been made aware of it and are taking action against it.  As usual always the "idiot" minority giving the rest of us a bad name.

My pet hates of pedestrians are when I am on a dual function pavement which is marked for two wheels and two feet use. Some pedestrians are too busy with their faces buried in their phones pressing buttons to notice you are there or they have the head set on and I can ring the head off the bell but they can`t hear you.  Options, I have keep advancing till they eventually look up and see you are there so we can pass each other, or I have to stop a yard in front of them.

Coming down a steep hill in the city centre shopping area towards the green light for the trafic to go I have had the unnerving experience
 of  pedestrians looking up and seeing me thinking its only a guy on a bike and saunter across the road only for them to have a brown trouser moment when I have to swerve past them shouting profanities.  Lesson learned from that pedestrians in city centre shopping areas are too unpredictable no matter what the traffic signal is there are always going to be some chancers.

I nearly hit some granny with a kid this week they just jumped out from between parked cars in a narrow street, never looked right to see if any traffic was coming.  I braked and circled round them I am shouting idiot at her she admitted she did`nt seem me and I told her if I had been a car she would have been toast. I think she may have too distracted with the kid to think about anything else. 
 As it was a short street with a give way sign at the end of it I was naturaly going slow to accommodate the rule of the approaching road sign so as you can see I may just be a cyclist but I have at least made the effort to learn the salient parts of the highway code I even have a large mirror fitted so I can do msm.

Ned I on occasion use a crossing to get to the other side of the road as sometimes you dont have a option if the next junction is a mile along the road and you have to get to a shop but the middle of the road is a continuous island or bollards. If there are people on the crossing I give them consideration and space its a simple as that those who dont are just selfish and inconsiderate. 

Don`t have any lycra through possibly cos my bikes are all classic tourers and I dont have the profile or speed  for the drag factor to make any difference.  {-)
 Frank

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »

:-)) We all got to learn to use the limited space available with consideration for others,as a walker, car driver, motorcyclist and sometimes cyclist I as well as everybody else have something to learn about consideration for other people on the road and walking/cycling areas,it only takes a second and some ones life has been lost or ruined,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))     

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:03 pm »

cyclists and pedestrians are now so bad I have fitted a camera to my car. Last Monday I was sitting at the lights on cannon lane / london bridge junction, with a bike to my left and a motorbike in front of me. on the pavement were 3 of our colonial friends. As the lights were red for us we thought they would cross, oh no! they waited till the lights were green for us and as the cyclist and motor bike moved off they crossed the road! result cyclist swerves into motorbike path who pulls into my path. the cyclist runs into the pedestrian group hitting one of them. the others start on the cyclist, the motorbike man pulls up to help cyclist then in turn is attacked by the pedstrians. all this in front of me! if it werent for the fact that a police car was on the london bridge junction and saw the whole thing the poor cyclist and motorbike man would have been arrested! as it was the coppers let the pedestrians go! the policeman said its happening a lot now, they try to get run over to make insurance claims.

ps cyclist who jumplights and dont show common road sense are getting on the spot fines in london now!!
ALSO, once they powers that be clear the roads of paying roadusers ie us drivers, who is going to pay for the up keep of the roads?? never seen a cyclist have a compulsery test, insurance or a roadworthy test certificate. but have you seen the grid lock of cyclists on chinese roads???
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 08:22:23 am »

One little gem offered to me when I took to the roads more than 50 years ago was to, "Consider that everybody else on the roads were complete fools who could, and would, do the strangest things without a thought for the results of their actions on other road users".  Would seem to hold as true now as then.  :-))

Snowwolflair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 09:10:57 am »

All cyclist should have to wear a road licencing dayglow vest, that they only get when they are registered with insurance.  The vests can be made with an integral photograph and personal details (so the police would know where to send the body). :police:

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 09:25:00 am »

soon it will take a great angle on the dashboard of the car camera to record everything that happens.

What kind of world do we live?

We can say, it was better before .......... <:(

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 11:12:48 am »

A few years ago we had a lot of trouble in central Melbourne with couriers on bikes.   Wrong side of the road, through red lights, straight across the pavements etc.   Fortunatly the Police clamped down on them, but since I try as hard as I can not to go into the city, I am not sure if the problem has arisen again.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »

There was a case a few months back when an elderly pedestrian was hit by a cyclist and she died
because she had had a fractured skull in the fall.  I don't think cyclist's Third party insurance would be
very expensive as they are a low risk group but they should be insured.
My wife hacks out on country roads and both her and the horse are covered for Third party insurance risks
up to £3m.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »

One little gem offered to me when I took to the roads more than 50 years ago was to, "Consider that everybody else on the roads were complete fools who could, and would, do the strangest things without a thought for the results of their actions on other road users".  Would seem to hold as true now as then.  :-))

I think ( and am only going to say this about them) but I think that that statement above should read that cyclists are the fools and everyone else should treat them as such ...........I mean how many times do you see a cycle path and the rider is actually cycling along the road...........I came across two numpties riding two abreast on a dual carriageway in Scotland only last week, making an HGV have to veer into the second lane.............AND  they were cycling up hill with a cycle track provided on the verge............DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT CYCLISTS....a pet hate.......think they have to be lobotomised in order to ride like that.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 03:49:38 pm »

There was a case a few months back when an elderly pedestrian was hit by a cyclist and she died
because she had had a fractured skull in the fall.  I don't think cyclist's Third party insurance would be
very expensive as they are a low risk group but they should be insured.
My wife hacks out on country roads and both her and the horse are covered for Third party insurance risks
up to £3m.
Geoff

The irony is that between your wife and horse there's twice the common sense of some cyclists.   >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(  " Damn you, Bradley Wiggins"  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.