Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's a daft question!  (Read 1816 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Here's a daft question!
« on: August 16, 2013, 03:56:47 pm »

Does petrol go off!   I was embarrased last weekend by offering the use of my generator at a show and not being able to get it started.  Since then I've had it in pieces and tested the electrics, all fine.  The only thing i can think of is bad gas.  The petrol from my can is about 3-4 months old and if it's "gone orf" that would explain it. Help?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Here's a daft question!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

I would say yes.... I have had the same problems with last summers petrol in the spring in the chainsaw and lawn tractor
what I tend to do is use the "old" petrol mixed with new once the device has been run a few times (60/40 new/old seems to work).  If the fuel is premixed with 2s oil then the starting issues are increased.
Whether this is truly the case I don't know but experience tells me that first run of the spring needs fresh petrol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:24:23 pm »

yes, it does go off over time & how it is stored will affect how quickly it goes off. Also the refineries change the chemical composition of the petrol depending on the season. Petrol produced in summer is different to petrol produced in winter.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »

Doesn't the Octane evaporate?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »

The problem with petrol is that it tends to be hydroscopic, and over time will absorb water which will form out at the bottom of the tank and carb.  Water at the bottom of either will stop the works. 
I was going to suggest boiling it off using a blow torch underneath, but that may get me a red card?   {-)

Ooops, only 3999 members.  I hope someone wasn't daft enough to try that advice.  :embarrassed:
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 08:09:42 pm »

Only 9 members left after someone tried that last time!   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:55:25 pm »

Does petrol go off !

Yes. Petrol fresh from the pump will have more butane in than petrol that has been stood in a can. Having said that, I've never had a problem starting the 2 strokes petrol engines in my model planes with oldish petrol.

Steve

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:23:24 pm »

I keep a bit of spare petrol in a sealed jerry can and by an odd coincidence I've just in the last couple of days  'cycled' it into the car after about 18 months stored and will refill with fresh. After researching this matter originally I use a fuel preservative. (People with (eg.) little used vintage autos use it). Car seems fine with this old stuff but there was probably twice as much fresh fuel in the tank already, so not a serious change of mix.

That said I'd have thought 3 or 4 months in a properly sealed can wouldn't be much of a problem. If it isn't well sealed then that would be another matter of course.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:07 pm »

The additives in the petrol can start to separate and sink to the bottom a good shake can assist rejuvenating and if you add some petrol injector cleaner and give a shake. The injector cleaner is an octane improver which helps starting and running.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 10:30:58 am »

A quick search for "petrol aging" came up with this link - http://floridasportfishing.com/magazine/service-repairs/fuel-stabilizers-revolutionary-or-rip-off.html -  a short way down the page was this comment "Some things, such as whiskey and wine, age gracefully, but gasoline and diesel fuel is not one of them. During the aging process, masses of carbon, gum and resin form in your fuel." So it would appear that there is more than one process at work.  Keeping it in a sealed can will stop volatiles wandering off, and should keep water vapour away, giving the can a shake should disperse any accumulated gunk at the bottom of the can, but there isn't a lot that can be done to restore the chemical changes.  So there has been very little research directed at de-aging whiskey and brandy.  Yippee!
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.