Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fracking ?!  (Read 5949 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Fracking ?!
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:14 pm »

in todays newspaper petrol up by 5 p a ltrie by the end of the month. so to frack or not to frack .that is the question i am not really bothered  at 82 and 6 mths plenty for me

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Fracking ?!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:01:14 pm »

That's fracking bad news  {-)
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »

They can frack away as much as they like on Budgie Towers estate.
LB

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »

Fracking wont cut the cost of fuel, the only thing to cut fuel cost would be to lower the fuel tax , tax makes up most of the cost
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Timo2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:54 pm »

Hi All

Well maybe after next Sept. Englandshire could be paying  £ 10.00 plus a gallon ,  >>:-(

Timo2

P.S. What will happen to the Blue Bit on the " Union Jack "  ( you will have to take then OFF )  {-) {-)
Just a Buoy at heart

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:17 pm »

Yeah happy days.  The monkey off our back at last!! Hopefully it will be a yes vote and if it isn't well we can have a rerun for England to vote for independence. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »

In OZ....this "fracking" to bring natural gas to ground level is causing serious debate.......
The against vote maintain it will damage the water table & ruin cropping land....Australia may be large in size, but has a very small % of land suitable for cropping
Not only that ...we see documentary evidence in the media of a woman turning on her kitchen sink tap & then igniting the gas in solution in the water
The fore vote suggest that if the gas is left untapped, Australia will run out of [gas] energy within 6 months  %%
What do the Pollies think......... >>:-( we have just signed a contract to supply Japan with enough LNG for 50 years at GIVE away prices  <*< ....................Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:49:35 pm »

I would think that most of you are talking third hand about this .......sadly here in Carleton we are just 3 miles as the crow flies from one of the main fracking sites in the UK, and have already suffered a greater % rise in earth tremors to what is normal for this area................and what has this idiot government said.................it's harmless.............you'll benefit when the gas prices go down............

trouble is, if it continues, we won't have decent houses to live it.......they'll be full of subsidence cracks and unsaleable...........count yerselves lucky if the fracking question is only a talking point with you....

we are living with the practicality already.........and not a single protester to be seen.......why....because it's not in the suberbs of London, and we are forgotten up here.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:39 pm »

...we see documentary evidence in the media of a woman turning on her kitchen sink tap & then igniting the gas in solution in the water
This has been completely disproved as being a result of fracking but it suits people to pretend that it is. Unfortunately a lot of people are very gullible and believe anything they are told,

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:59:01 pm »

This has been completely disproved as being a result of fracking but it suits people to pretend that it is. Unfortunately a lot of people are very gullible and believe anything they are told,

I would love to know who completely disproved  the origins of these visible by products of fracking, Colin.....maybe scientists  (although totally independent I'm sure  %% %%  ) employed by the companies involved in fracking or governments taking back handers from such companies...........
However, sadly your words are of little comfort or re assurance to those of us that live in close proximity to Cuadrilla drilling rigs as I am, and  are suffering already from problems  proven to be results of this misguided attempt to find another source of none reusable energy.

as the old saying says........"you can fool some of the people all of the time!!!!!"

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:53 am »

Cuadrilla says that it is in Britains best interests to allow fracking..............In who's best interests.............certainly not mine, yours or any other member on this forum...............we won't see any benefits........just as we saw no benefits of North sea oil or gas........the only ones who benefitted from that were the big power companies and the government..

Just as Cuadrilla said that my local area would benefit from the storage of billions of cubic feet of gas in underground disused salt mines in the over wyre area......making this area a potential bomb on a magnitude of 100 Hiroshima neukes..............
So please don't imply that people who don't want this are gullible just because they don't digest what miscreants who bend the evidence put forward in support of fracking try to impose........may be it's those who believe it's not harmfull to the environment are the gullible ones.............I don't want it in my back yard...........if you do, let them dig up Surrey, but don't force it on those who don't by calling them gullible and not knowing what it involves..... I find that a little insulting from a man as educated as you are. <*<

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:25 am »

Disappointed to read such comment suggesting as an open & shut case which "has been completely disproved"  >>:-(
The following Australian ABC 4 Corners program highlight's various concerns.....
I have relatives living in Appin which is approx. 18 km from Wollongong on a low plateau and the area is now being subjected to fracking.........
These families have lived in the area originally as timber [cedar] cutters for 175 years.....the methane in the water is a new occurrence
I have seen methane gas burning in ground water in a similar manner as shown here........Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CE0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2F4corners%2Fstories%2F2013%2F04%2F01%2F3725150.htm&ei=LwEUUuKIIu60iQf3gYHQDg&usg=AFQjCNFlFJhbl_5zi4gvUkokOSTY3ydx3A&sig2=ziT8uhCN0pYnRq3o9wEoww
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:30 am »

Most of the coal seam gas (CSG) exploration and mining areas in Australia, where fracking is carried out, are in relatively unpopulated regions. The main concern, as Derek pointed out, is the risk of contamination of the underground water supply, which a lot of rural Australia depends on. The problem for the layman is that both sides of the argument are telling lies when it suits them, so it's very difficult to make a well informed decision. I simply don't know enough to decide. It doesn't affect me directly as there are no CSG fields anywhere near me, but I do understand the concerns of those who could be affected.
I think that many of those opposed to CSG are doing so simply because they don't know enough, and are taking the approach that it is better to be safe than sorry.

Derek, seeing methane gas burning in ground water is a little different to seeing it coming out of a household tap. Most reticulated water has been stored in some kind of storage facility - tank or dam, etc - and has been filtered or otherwise treated. I would think that these processes would remove any possible chance of the gas entering household pipes.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:09 am »

Peter.......the video of the woman lighting her kitchen sink tap water was I believe also from an ABC program some 12 months ago...I searched, but could not find it
To my mind, the ABC 4 Corners episode portrayed a balanced view of the situation....as Aunty always does....... O0  .....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Meyer

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:48 am »

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:29 am »

Not only that ...we see documentary evidence in the media of a woman turning on her kitchen sink tap & then igniting the gas in solution in the water

you scare me

I light a cigarette in the toilet

and the explosion can throw me into heaven?  :-))

this woman is a witch, I see her broom against the wall  {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:14 am »

I said that the instance reported has been completely disproved and a fraud. Plenty of confirmation in the more respectable papers and online such as:

Fracking will cause your tap water to catch fire.
The movie, Gasland, set this rumor ablaze.  One particular scene shows a man lighting the water pouring from his kitchen faucet.  The fact is tap water could be lit on fire long before fracking came about due to naturally occurring methane pockets in the ground.  If your water comes from a well and the drilling was done poorly, you stand a chance of having flammable water.  Investigators later checked the man’s house and found the methane in his water was due to the way his well was drilled, fracking played no role. Additionally, when the filmmaker was confronted by the director of the pro-fracking film FrackNation about why he failed to mention the fact that tap water could be lit on fire regardless of fracking, he claimed the information “wasn’t relevant.”

There is lots of stuff under the earth which seeps up quite naturally, radon gas in Dartmoor for example which is slightly radioactive and can collect under buildings. Methane commonly reaches the surface in various parts of the world and can be ignited where it emerges. The Orcacle at Delphi was emitting inflammable methane from the water back in ancient times but I doubt if the Greeks went in for fracking very much in those days.

There was an article in one of the more accurate newspapers recently giving a more balanced view of the process. On one hand we have people saying the process is perfectly safe and then there is the mass hysteria predicting the end of the world being put out by the meeja and tabloids. Rumour is being quoted as fact and the whole thing is out of hand.

I live just 35 minutes drive from Balcombe where the rent-a- mob is currently in residence and I can report that we have experienced no earthquakes whatsoever so far. Anyway, the company is drilling for oil not fracking and we have a number of small oil wells over the South of England, particularly in Dorset, which have been going for years with no noticeable environmental impact.

I'm afraid it just irritates me when people credulously repeat things without doing a bit of checking the facts.

I'm sure there are risks associated with fracking and they need to be assessed and managed but the quality of debate on here is not going to help very much in that respect.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:22 am »

http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/fracking-natural-gas-affects-water-quality

Drilling for oil and gas is one thing.  Pumping fluid down the hole to create damage to extract gas is something else entirely.  Along with the gas (which is just another fossil hydrocarbon) really dirty water is also extracted, and needs to be put somewhere.  While it can be theoretically separated and re-used, some will escape and directly pollute the surface water.  While it is claimed by the authorities that those who will profit from the process that "its over a mile down, it can't possibly have an effect on ground water" there is no hard evidence to show that it does not rise once disturbed. 
Like Neil, I live just a few miles away from the Singleton fracking site, and also have lived here over 60 years.  I have heard of 2 earth tremors locally in that time, both since the start of testing.  An odd coincidence.

Some interesting reading, if a bit dry, here - [size=78%]http://www.counterbalance.org.uk/recent/frackwat.htm[/size]

It seems that we will get fracking whatever - there is money to be passed around, planning authorities will be told what decisions to reach, and will be denied any means of policing the results. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:14 am »

:o .....disappointingly I read more of an interesting observation & a twist on a turn offered by Mr Bishop here earlier today.....

"but I doubt if the Greeks went in for fracking very much in those days" ........

<*< ..........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:26 am »

It's a sobering thought,    the population of the UK increased by 419000  in a single year  2011-2012. and with this single trend a greater demand for energy . We are  decommissioning  old coal fired power generators  with out direct replacement to comply with our EU obligation to tackle climate  change which presently  accounts for 43%  of our energy needs  ,The UK has 16 reactors generating about  21% of  our energy needs  and all but one of these will be retired by 2023. , we  are increasing our levels year on year  of imported   natural gas from unpredictable and unstable supplies which along with our own diminishing supplies accounts for approximately 25% of energy production   and  renewable energy accounts for 11%  . Although there has been record investment in North Sea Oil UK sector  the value and production is falling year on year.  So how do we keep the lights on?
Bowwave

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43:47 am »

Re treating mucky water, the company at the bottom of my garden will be rubbing their hands, they already make a lot from a chemical that allows you to get two pints of water into a pint glass. (Same stuff babies nappies are loaded with to stop "Leaks")

Gas in water lines? At times of heavy rainfall we suffer from the opposite, water in the gas lines puts my neighbours central heating out.

Regards  Ian. 
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:38 pm »

but the quality of debate on here is not going to help very much in that respect.

Colin

Only in your opinion Colin, ????

think the level of and maturity towards the debate has gone reasonably well so far!!......or am I one of the gullibles you talk about.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 01:02:38 pm »

Methane is odourless, tasteless and lighter than air, therefore, it rises and dilutes readily in atmosphere. It is very difficult to detect. The smell we associate with our piped natural gas is deliberately added to make escapes easier to detect.
Our defunct coal industry accepted methane as a routine hazard and the mines contined. There was no outcry concerning subsidence which was also a risk in mining areas. At the time the risks associated with our mining industry were accepted since the benefits were for the common good.
Can we afford not to frack? I don't think we have any choice but to gain expertise in this new industry and take the benefits for the common good. The risks at each potential operating site obviously need to be carefully assessed.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »

that's fine perkasaman.......but I now stand tall and say I'm a NIMBY

you want it, you allow it where you live and when the cracks in the houses start to appear, don't blame me for the dive in their resale  prices.

neil.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:34:27 pm »

do not know what is worse fracking or wind turbines.. got our fare share here in cornwall.. half the time not working. so here hoping the children of today have plenty of candles might need them
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.