Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Project - USS Freedom  (Read 1924 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
New Project - USS Freedom
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:17 am »

Now that I've got a hull I can start the build thread of my new project, USS Freedom - LCS1. 
Freedom is one of the US Navy's new Littoral Combat Ships.  Designed to operate in shallow coastal waters, they are light, fast, versatile and pretty well armed for their size.  The ship incorperate many innovations including  water jet drives, aluminium construction and modular capacity , which allows them to be quickly reconfigured for different missions.

As with most model boats the build starts with the hull.  I won't go into the construction as it's been well documented elsewhere.  A plywood plug was made and a GRP mould taken from it. A GRP hull was then laid up in the mould. (Pics 001,002)

The scale is 1/144th which gives a hull length of 810mm  or 31 inches.

The most challenging part will be fitting the water drives. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Project - USS Freedom
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:42:56 pm »

Now camouflaged too:-

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:54:30 am »

yes, she looks quite retro with that camo scheme.  I thought they might go with a Swedish style pattern but this one will be easier to paint on the model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »

While I'm waiting for the motors I opened the "pocket" in one side of the bow for the anchor. Chain drilling and filing and then fitting a styrene tube with superglue. The excess is trimmed back on the outside. This could now be left or the bottom part of an anchor could be fitted, just showing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.