Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Costs of international posting  (Read 890 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Costs of international posting
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:30:31 pm »

Am I wrong in thinking but I reckon I have just paid a decent price for sending a parcel to California via airmail 2 - 3 day service.

the parcel was a very well packed (Plenty of foam packing) model Riverman tug ready built, to Tim Brown in Oakland California and including the gaffer tape ( a full roll ) it cost me just £83 quid for a box measuring 98cm x 38 x 38 cm and weighing upto 30 kilos allowance via 2 - 3 day airmail..

don't reckon that was expensive at all.....went via Transglobal on a UPS courier.

neil.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Costs of international posting
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:53:40 pm »

parcel2go or parcelmonkey are pretty good when it comes to international postage
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »

i can only speak from experience but the quality and cost of service only really come apparent  once goods are actually delivered,

i  recently used parcel monkey to send a parcel to france, - they quoted a 3 day service on the website,  the costs seemed very good value and was said to include insurance and tracking

so i arranged a pick up from my home address- parcel was collected as agreed.... 12 days later i get a call from the recipient who says the parcel has just arrived, and its 'destroyed'

the delivery took 10 working days, i contacted parcel monkey to raise my issue, and they say you have to report any damage within 48 hrs of receipt of goods,  they seem to work work this out from 3 days after the parcel was collected fro m the UK address  add 48 hours  and then close your claim down and refuse to have any more to do with you ...  so i was screwed...

add to this they are agents for the carrier so my parcel was actually shipped  and transported by a 3rd party firm who also say i need to claim with parcel monkey...

so i learnt the hard way after lots of letters and stuff to parcel monkey i am now  very much the advocate of using a well known carrier ( ups , DHL ) and similar, making sure that cheap pricing does not sway my decision - cheap is not the best,

and i will never never use parcel monkey ever again, -my opinion is they couldn't look after a pot plant never mind international parcel delivery..

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:43:04 pm »

I have used DHL and UPS via parcel2go to ship stuff from the UK to Finland on a monthly basis for the last 5 years.... never had a problem, delivery times have been 5-7 working days
About 30 quid for packages up to 25Kg
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.