Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Super Puma chopper ditches...  (Read 2260 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Another Super Puma chopper ditches...
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:54 pm »

1 gone down tonight to the west of Shetland with 18 onboard , sounds like its one of the just reintroduced "fully repaired" Super Puma choppers ( the one last year that had 2 ditchings due to the gearbox seizing ) , hope its a controlled landing and they're all out ok , 2 lifeboats , MCA SAR Chopper and the Northlink Ferry all on way to scene
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Super Puma chopper ditches...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:04:25 pm »

believe there are survivor now in lerwick just hope the rest of the passengers are soon picked up safely our thoughts must be with them and their families

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »

they've got 15 , 3 still missing , this is the same model of Super Puma that crashed 3 years ago with the loss of all 16 onboard to , yet again , gearbox failure
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:09:46 pm »

thanks Davie for the update its dark now but there are plenty of craft in the area

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:57 pm »

it always saddens me when I hear of something like this happening, especially off Shetland.

I lost a good mate called Terry Cross, (god bless him ) from Fleetwood around 1987 when the Chinook that he was travelling in back (or too) a rig went down up that neck of the woods with gear box probs, without any survivors (if I remember).

God bless them all and I hope they find them all safe.........my thoughts go out to them, their families and to all those involved in the search.........

i'll be praying for them tonight.

neil.

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:08:57 am »

It is very sad when something like this happens, it seems 4 have been lost, thankfully it was not a lot worst. Your heart has to go out to the families of those that have been lost.

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »

I was Captain of the Borgsten Dolphin for 12 months about 2 years ago, the origin of the ditched flight, and although I don't know any of those lost, I know many who knew them. It's a traumatic time for those that survived and a worrying time for all of us working offshore. Not forgetting the stress placed on our families at home, whenever they hear of yet another helicopter incident. There are genuine concerns regarding the Super Puma helicopter but it remains one of the commonest forms of offshore transportation. We really need a special enquiry into their safety problems and poor track record.
Meanwhile I continue travelling to work, knowing the chances of ditching are small, but unfortunately not small enough.
My sympathies go out to the families of those lost.
Glyn

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:34:24 pm »

What an awful thing to happen. Thoughts with those down and missing and their families. On the East coast, Easington, where I have my caravan we see many a helicopter overhead going back and forth to rigs, a hard life for the workers, crews and families, even harder when news like this occurs.

Si.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

News says that 4 have died, the three missing bodies found and one is still in fuselage...very sad indeed.

Si.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Snowwolflair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:34 pm »

Do you think its a problem with the Puma design or is it just its more common therefore more fail?

Also

I was Captain of the Borgsten Dolphin for 12 months about 2 years ago

Does that give you an ocean going captains ticket?

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »

Do you think its a problem with the Puma design or is it just its more common therefore more fail?

Also

Does that give you an ocean going captains ticket?

You have to weigh up the amount of flight hours for this aircraft against other types used in a similar roll, past and now, to work out if this type of accident is more common in just this type. The overall design of aircraft seems okay and stable but there have been a couple of issues regarding the gearbox lubrication that caused a warning light, once this shows up to the pilots they ditch as it could just stall the blades and the helicopter would just plummet; that is reason for concern, either poor lubrication joints and leaks, or faulty design maybe causing the lubrication not to flow properly or maybe it is getting too thick...who knows, but it needs sorting.

Si.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »

a similar scenario was with the Chinook where the two rotor gears fell out of sync due to wear and tear in the gear boxes, and the rotor blades from fore and aft would mesh causing catastrophic  problems..........it took a number of Chinooks to go down world wide before Boeing admitted that they had a problem with the aircraft..............and then the floods of claims came in.

But they are still flying world wide ( I think)

who knows until air traffic investigators do their stuff.....

I certainly wouldn't like to speculate on something so saddening.

neil.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 06:28:29 pm »

I knew Alistair Laing one of the lads that died in the chinnok accident a sad time for the families of all concerned and the families that are all reminded of this type pof accidents

Captbearuk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »

I'm not a helicopter technician but previous incidents have been gearbox issues. We don't know what the problem was here, but as the helicopter appears to have been severely damaged on impact (wreckage found) I would hazard a guess at gearbox failure. Survivors report "dropping out of the sky".

I obtained my seagoing Masters ticket before going offshore, but it is possible to get seatime on a Semi Submersible. It just takes so long. It's easier on DP drilling rigs.
Regards
Glyn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.