Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mixing video recordings help please  (Read 1858 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
mixing video recordings help please
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:31:24 pm »

not sure where to put this thread, but here goes, something to get the grey matter going!

I finally took a real good video of my boat, and fitted it perfectly to a very suitable music track. I used a video camera (tape type), and had a keychain camera pointing forward, and another pointing rearward (avi files)

Using windows movie maker, I put it together, but... It wont save a movie file, saying files wont work. Now, I can upload any of the three independant of each other onto youtube no probs, but I want all three together, you get the idea, see the boat running, a quick view from front of boat, back to baot running, anther quick view from rear, etc etc.

Anybody out there got any ideas?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: mixing video recordings help please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:43:35 pm »

It should work.

What happens (exactly) when you try to, for example, publish it to youtube?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:05:53 am »

Hi Andy.  I put it all together and attempt to save in Windows movie maker as a movie file on to the pc just like i always do,  so it can then be uploaded to YouTube. It won't save saying something like files format cannot be saved  . I noticed that the key chain cameras need to be plugged into the pc or the video isnt there.  All 3devices can be saved in their own right.  Tried to save to a memory stick and upload from their and that didn't work either. Baffled really it should have worked. I spent ages working all the changes out and the music so really don't want to give up on it,  and doing the video itself with headphones on to get the music right >:-o

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:10:54 am »

It sounds like you need the files on the PC before you can save a draft. From what I'm reading here, the "local" version (the one that works) appears to be scraping the video data off the cameras' in-built storage when running.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:28:37 am »

It could be abother reasons, but I think thios could be a standards issue.  Most of the Keyfob cameras shoot at NTSC frame rates (30fps) or sometimes odd frame rates around that figure, and your tape based camcorder most likely records in PAL at 25 fps.

WMM maynot like mixing and matching the different frame rates (I don't use WMM, I use powerdirector, which is a lot less fussy about this sort of thing).

There are ways and means around this, using freely available software, but it can get quite involved.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:40:33 am »

Red   Avi  is not a Format merely an envelope container  inside which are many variants  .A handy tool to use  to identify any video file is Gspot ( no not that one ;D )
its free and perfectly safe and easy to use it will show all the details of your files  . start with the original and as said get something else to use WMM is about the worst video software there is
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 10:46:28 am »

The best files for YouTube are Mpeg's.

I have found over the years that MOV files won't run on other systems. You'll have to convert the film when making over to another format.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:05:17 am »

thanks all, I now have some thinking to do, and very quick as I want the keychain cameras emptied for another project, so will have a play around over next day or so,

looks like I need to
1/ save files to pc
2/ use another programme to mix it
3/ convert files to mpegs

ta!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »

Ive tried everything, it would appear my file is saved as a MSWMM File, which apparantly is a windows movie maker project, not  a movie file, thats why it will not upload (gspot!)

The problem is it will not save as a movie file, the timer just keeps going up and up with nothing happening, so it looks like all is lost.

I tried again last night, the 3 devices seperate, camcorder, and each keychain will upload to youtube, its just when they are all together. I tried converting the complete file, but failed! <:(   

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 07:08:38 pm »

Have you saved the file to your PC?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:17:03 am »

Might be different, not being video, but when audacity saves, it saves the information as a project that only audacity can read.  To make it useful there is another command "export" where various options regarding format are offered that allow the result to be used elsewhere. 
If there isn't such a command in WMM, or if the "save as" doesn't do the job, perhaps one or a combination of the other programs suggested might convert the various source files to a common usable format.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:30:26 pm »

I thought about audacity, I have used it to make sound tracks for my Orca, there has to be a solution to this, Im going to have a break from it till later in the week, and come back to it fresh ok2

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 06:50:34 pm »

Tried all sorts of things to no avail, we "think" its the PC I am using, my 14 yr old sorted it on his laptop! Im very embarassed about that %% %% :embarrassed:

Video is on new thread in model boating section, worth a look !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.